Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > THE WINNERS: Pay it Forward!Contest Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay - I didn't go custom (this time), or get crazy (this time).

I will soon be the proud owner of a limited edition pole hammer - item "B" to be precise. I'm glad it's the one I liked best, because it was the only one left by the time I made up my mind!

This will be my first A&A piece, but I'm sure it won't be my last.

Thanks to Craig for informing my decision, and, again, to Nathan for sponsoring the contest.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Victor R. wrote:
I will soon be the proud owner of a limited edition pole hammer - item "B" to be precise. I'm glad it's the one I liked best, because it was the only one left by the time I made up my mind!

Great choice. I really, really, really wanted one of those myself. I'm glad somebody here got one!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
I agree with Chad. The great thing about A&A is that they can use their production pieces to help lessen the cost of a custom sword. For instance on my Erbach, Craig used a custom blade to match the original more closely but used the Pommel and Guard from the production Erbach sword to help keep cost down.

Very true - in the last custom order they did for me, both the blade and hilt furniture were quite different from anything they had, but in the case of my 'mystery sword' ordered here, they have a blade that comes quite close (although no hilt parts in this case). Craig gave me the option of building a blade from ground up or the less expensive option of using a blade based on their current model. Since I felt the difference was not significant (especially since damage to the historical piece leaves some uncertainty), I went with the less expensive option this time. I got the impression this may also speed things up.

The bottom line is that they are quite flexible for the customer. I think this combination of quality and customer service will keep this end of the industry going, no matter how many cheaper (or not) production swords other companies churn out.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Alright! Thanks Nathan and thanks everyone for your congratulations. This is the 2nd and best prize I have won in my life - sure beats the set of beer glasses I got from my local pub a few years ago.

As to what it will be used for - Craig Johnson and I have already been discussing and researching a custom project. I'm not going to give it all away just yet, but here is a teaser. Its a rare type of medieval sword that is classified in the major typologies (Oakeshott, Geibig) but rarely actually seen, at least in North America. In fact there are only 3 known surviving specimens, and we had to find an academic article to get pictures and specs on them. I have never seen a replica of this sword type, so we might be breaking new ground with this one - looking forward to posting progress pictures when they become available.

As for the pay-forward aspect, I have some ideas that I'll discuss with you Nathan.

Thanks again!

Hm, maybe XIa? Question Cool
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Hm, maybe XIa? Question Cool

That was also Dan Dickinson's guess, but no...Tim Lison had the best guess so far, but not quite on...but now my lips are sealed until Craig has some photos, cause otherwise one of you guys is bound to figure it out and ruin the suspense. Wink
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's here! UPS just delievered a wonderful Friday present to me: my new A&A polehammer!

As you would expect, it is quite substantial and feels as though it could really ruin your day if you happen to be on the receiving end of a blow from someone skilled in its use (no, that wouldn't be me, at present Big Grin ). And I have, once again, confirmed my complete geekdom to my co-workers. Of course, being a CPA, they already knew that anyway.

Receipt of this wonderful new weapon as sparked a greater appreciation for me of pole weapons - and has likely started a degenerative slide into the acquisition of other examples...

I'll try to find someone willing to take some pics of me with it and post back. Play time over - back to reviewing financial analytics (yes, I'm also into modern torture methods Laughing Out Loud )

Thanks again to Nathan and Craig!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And thank you for taking a moment to share your enthusiasm with us. I'm happy for you, but also a bit envious as I'd really like to have one of those polehammers. A photo would be great!
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Fri 24 Dec, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Apparently Craig has started making progress on this project, so I will 'let the cat out of the bag':

It's a 13th century warsword with Oakehsott's type 'O' pommel. "O" is a rare type - in fact only 3 are known to exist outside of artwork, and we could only find pictures of two of them in an academic article. Historical background and details will soon be posted in a separate thread (maybe later today) and then we will follow-up with development pictures as they arise in the next months.

I would like to thank both Nathan and A&A for making this possible. The project has turned out to have added personal meaning because I lost my father a few days ago, and this project (and myArmoury), are welcome distractions.

My Dad's obituary is here, but I think it will only be up for one day: http://www.lfpress.com/classifieds/obituaries/

Thanks, JD (Doug) Crawford.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 24 Dec, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:

I would like to thank both Nathan and A&A for making this possible. The project has turned out to have added personal meaning because I lost my father a few days ago, and this project (and myArmoury), are welcome distractions.

My Dad's obituary is here, but I think it will only be up for one day: http://www.lfpress.com/classifieds/obituaries/

Thanks, JD (Doug) Crawford.

My condolences for your father and I can relate since I received my Michael Pikula Cinquedea the day after my Mom went to hospital so that it will always be linked in my memory to her passing 21 days later: Not a bad thing actually as it just makes it special and more treasured although I could imagine that someone could form an aversion to such instead.

Oh, and distraction and thinking of other things does help. I can say that it does get easier but it remains a loss but in time one stops thinking about it 24/7.

Well, I hope you can still have a good ( Good as it can be ) Xmas and a Happy new year.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Fri 24 Dec, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My condolances JD. I lost my Dad in 2008 and I think of him often. These thoughts bring memories of happy times and always come with overwhelming love. Though not here physically, he walks with me in heart and mind so, after the tears, there will be smiles.
"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Fri 24 Dec, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the kind words. I've started another thread to keep track of this project - but it will take time to reveal the fun parts:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=21804

In the mean time, Merry Christmas, and remember to enjoy the people with you...

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > THE WINNERS: Pay it Forward!Contest
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: