Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Blunting swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael F.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Blunting swords         Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone knew how to blunt a sword. Being a "semi-beginner" as i like to say, I don't really feel like loosing a limb or even more blood than i already loose on a day to day basis (I think i'm jinxed) Big Grin. Because i'm hooked on albion's new type XVa's (being very sharp and pointy) i am determined that if I get one, i don't kill myself. I would definatly leave the sword pretty sharp, but not as sharp to cut me very easily.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Michael F.

"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you order one from Albion, I think that they can tune the sharpness to suit your needs. Of course, if you don't communicate those needs accurately, it might still come too sharp for your tastes. I had that problem when I recently bought my Mainz Gladius. As I mentioned on another thread, earlier today, I blunted my sword slightly just by running 0000 steel wood along the edge, and frequently checking the sharpness level until it felt like what I wanted. I don't know if that is the best way, but it worked for me.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Blunting swords         Reply with quote

Michael F. wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knew how to blunt a sword. Being a "semi-beginner" as i like to say, I don't really feel like loosing a limb or even more blood than i already loose on a day to day basis (I think i'm jinxed) Big Grin. Because i'm hooked on albion's new type XVa's (being very sharp and pointy) i am determined that if I get one, i don't kill myself. I would definatly leave the sword pretty sharp, but not as sharp to cut me very easily.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Michael F.

Check these two topic threads out. They should shed some light. "Sharp" doesn't always mean you can shave with it. I have the Landgraf here now - just got back in from playing a bit, getting used to how she feels. Included were some half-swording exercises, done without gloves, and I still have all of my fingers. It has an edge, but not a wicked one.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2942 - on Talhoffer's German Longsword

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1980 - on what sharp means

Also, should you decide to go with one of these Albion pieces, call Mike. Ask him how sharp they typically are. If you both agree that the weapon is too sharp for what you wish, request it be left dull. Two other options that Albion has are the late 15th Century Bastard and the Maestro sparring line (soon to be released). Both are blunt.

Hope that sheds a bit of light...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Michael,
I have a blunt Sovereign. Ordered it that way for western martial arts use, and it came with a quite safe edge, although the tip was still quite pointy, so I had to file it down.

If you have a sword that is already sharp, you can take a very sharp file and dull it down, but be very careful not to cut yourself, and wear leather gloves. Also, remember that a sword made with the intent of being used as a sharp will still have an acute edge, even if filed down, so keep this in mind.
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Blunting swords         Reply with quote

Hi Michael,
I'm also a beginner, but if you really like the Albion XVa's and you are looking for a blunt you should check out the Albion Squire Line 15th century bastard sword. It comes as a blunt, unless you request it otherwise. I haven't hurt myself with it yet. Surprised Though perhaps one of my sparring partners may want to add some input here. Wink

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check out this tread to!!

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3755

Swordsman, Archer and Dad

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Blunting swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic