Kilij questions
So I was under the impression that the yelman on a kilij moved the pob further down the blade, but recently I heard that the material is simply compacted in the center, and does not affect the balance. Which is true?
Re: Kilij questions
Michael Curl wrote:
So I was under the impression that the yelman on a kilij moved the pob further down the blade, but recently I heard that the material is simply compacted in the center, and does not affect the balance. Which is true?
Without a yelman, you have a thick spine. A yelman is (or can be) created by forging part of this spine to a thin cutting edge. This widens the blade there, without changing the amount of material, and thus not affecting the balance. This at least is the case on tulwars with a yelman that I own.
Manouchehr, in his book, Arms and Armor from Iran: The Bronze Age to the End of the Qajar Peroid (Manouchehr Moshtagh Khorasani), gives POB. Comparing the wide-tipped "kilij" style swords with swords with slender shamshir blades, the POB of kilij-blade swords are not further out, for swords of about the same length. Indeed, it looks like their POB might be, on average, closer in. (I haven't checked to see if this is statistically significant. In any event, not much closer in.)

Why would one want to move the POB out? Yes, people say this about all sorts of swords that widen towards the tip, but it's a very two-dimensional view of a sword.
Re: Kilij questions
Michael Curl wrote:

Further down compared to what, exactly?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: