Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pommel Types
Hello forumites...

I thought I'd start a fun thread and see if anyone would participate. I'm looking for pics referencing all the different pommel types out there. Some are obvious... wheel, brazil-nut, etc, etc, but a compendium of pics and references for the more obscure pommel types could be cool. :)
For your consideration...the Type V
(But I don't need much of a reason to post THIS pic!) :D

Attachment: 98.06 KB
DSC00331a.jpg

I like the blue grip on your Regent Steve. I'm a bit over done on green and red grips lately. The blue is a nice change.
Re: Pommel Types
Timothy Gulics wrote:
Hello forumites...

I thought I'd start a fun thread and see if anyone would participate. I'm looking for pics referencing all the different pommel types out there. Some are obvious... wheel, brazil-nut, etc, etc, but a compendium of pics and references for the more obscure pommel types could be cool. :)

Here are a couple of odd-ball pommels...

ks
I like that blue grip and the design of the pommel on the Regent, Steve. Very nice ...

Here are a couple of shots of Discerner's pommel, as well as my old MRL Historical Excalibur.

Although Discerner's pommel is the "wheel" type (or, would it be called a "ring" type since it is hollow with the diamond pattern being an insert?), I thought I would include it, along with the pommel of my MRL sword, to this thread about different pommel types. :)

Attachment: 39 KB
0-Discerner_&_MRL Historical Excalibur 1.jpg

Attachment: 90.52 KB
0-Discerner_&_MRL Historical Excalibur 2a.jpg

Nuts wish you had a better shot of that first sword Tim, the second one is obviously a type S (the one Oakeshott sketched?) but I can't make out what the other one is from that angle. Jim I am guessing that yours would probably still fall into the G,H,I,J,K family even though it is hollow. I guess the aesthetic form rather then the actual dynamics of the pommel is what was important in the typologies. The thing about pommels is that just like blades I'm betting that there are (or were) tons of one offs out there that were created for a specific owner.
Kirk,

I second the request for a better shot of the first one - looks interesting but tough to see from that angle.
Kirk, that's a very nice-looking sword in the top pic. Can you provide any more information on it? It's hard to tell from the pic, could be called a XII or XIV? Or an XIa? Hard to see what the fuller does toward the end of the blade.

Regards,
Brian M
Sorry guys...

That picture was cropped from a museum shot I picked up somewhere. I can not get the resolution any better. Your guess is as good as mine as to it's classification... It does look non-traditional though.

It is strange to me that such a beautifully proportioned sword has not been published... as far as I know. If I had to guess I would say that the pommel is similar to PJ's Solingen sword here

http://www.albionarmorers.com/swords/johnsson...lingen.htm

However the center raised area has been contracted to a line and the "teardrop" shape has been emphasized.

ks
Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
Sorry guys...

That picture was cropped from a museum shot I picked up somewhere. I can not get the resolution any better. Your guess is as good as mine as to it's classification... It does look non-traditional though.

It is strange to me that such a beautifully proportioned sword has not been published... as far as I know. If I had to guess I would say that the pommel is similar to PJ's Solingen sword here

http://www.albionarmorers.com/swords/johnsson...lingen.htm

However the center raised area has been contracted to a line and the "teardrop" shape has been emphasized.

ks

Either that sword, or one very much like it, is pictured in Oakeshott's books. It's hard to tell since none of the photos are of the greatest quality.

The Sword in the Age of Chivalry, Plate 20.A

Records of the Medieval Sword, Page 120 type XIV.5

It does look very similar to the original Solingen. Maybe they were made in the same shop?
Patrick Kelly wrote:
I like the blue grip on your Regent Steve. I'm a bit over done on green and red grips lately. The blue is a nice change.

Thanks Jim & Patrick--I really like the blue too! Actually, the oxblood grip on my Sovereign is my first "reddish" grip. Both are certainly a nice change from the usual "safe" black. Albion's green on David Stokes' Ritter looks nice as well--maybe because it is darker (or perhaps more mottled) than the greens I've seen lately. My Regent should be returning to me soon with a new Christian Fletcher scabbard--with Christian's work, it should be something special. I'll post pics as soon as I receive it! :D

Keeping the thread on topic, another pommel for your consideration--what Oakeshott described as a faceted "wheel" pommel on XIIa.5:

Attachment: 28.44 KB
Schwert_1240.jpg

Another fave of mine, the unclassified "writhen" pommel on the A&A Bohemian Broadsword:

Attachment: 96.17 KB
DSC00236a.jpg

The Type A "Brazil Nut" pommel on the A&A St. Maurice:

Attachment: 97.24 KB
DSC00247a.jpg

No idea what to call it but Ive always thought this design was very attractive

Attachment: 47.97 KB
wilsoncfagain2.jpg

Steve Maly wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

Thanks Jim & Patrick--I really like the blue too! Actually, the oxblood grip on my Sovereign is my first "reddish" grip. Both are certainly a nice change from the usual "safe" black. Albion's green on David Stokes' Ritter looks nice as well--maybe because it is darker (or perhaps more mottled) than the greens I've seen lately. My Regent should be returning to me soon with a new Christian Fletcher scabbard--with Christian's work, it should be something special. I'll post pics as soon as I receive it! :D

Keeping the thread on topic, another pommel for your consideration--what Oakeshott described as a faceted "wheel" pommel on XIIa.5:

What time period is that sword from?

Mike
Michael P Smith wrote:

What time period is that sword from?

Mike

Oakeshott lists the XIIa.5 as being dated prior to 1240 as this sword bears the arms of a landgraf of Thuringen and Hesse, being attributed to Konrad, Grand-Master of the German order from 1239-1241.
pommel types
Here is the one on my old wall hanger longsword. Does anyone know if there is any historical evidence of this type?

Thanks,
Scott

Attachment: 58.11 KB
longsword-hilt.jpg

Looks like a head of "Salad Fingers". Don't ask.
That type of pommel is called "the swine snout" :lol:
Pattern1855 Lancaster Bayonet Pommel
And now for something not so clean & tidy but obviously well used/abused. Smokey.

http://www.fototime.com/{967D3F3A-BE2C-450A-B...icture.JPG
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: