Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Nazi Dagger - any ideas or information? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's reality: If I walk through downtown Birmingham in a white robe and hood, I can tell the ER staff all about the long Catholic tradition of parading in hooded white robes. Likewise, if I wear that ancient symbol through the streets of Munich or Vienna I can explain to the courts that it's just a harmless Native American decorative element. Context matters. Recent history matters. So, it really DOES NOT MATTER that ancient cultures used the swastika because the Nazis adopted the symbol as their banner as they blew up the world and slaughtered millions of people.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Here's reality: If I walk through downtown Birmingham in a white robe and hood, I can tell the ER staff all about the long Catholic tradition of parading in hooded white robes. Likewise, if I wear that ancient symbol through the streets of Munich or Vienna I can explain to the courts that it's just a harmless Native American decorative element. Context matters. Recent history matters. So, it really DOES NOT MATTER that ancient cultures used the swastika because the Nazis adopted the symbol as their banner as they blew up the world and slaughtered millions of people.

In a couple of centuries the symbol may be usable without it having a negative meaning or people assuming a " political statement " is being made.

The funny thing is that at times I see wallpapers or wooden floors or ceramic floors that at first glance just look like attractive patterns but if one looks closely looking for swastikas one will suddenly see that the pattern is actually made of of linked together swastikas: This is not a deliberate way to hide swastikas in plain view but just accidents of perception where patterns of squares or rectangles and or decorative contours form swastikas just because of the geometry.

Anyway, swastikas are all over the place but we only notice them when they are isolated symbols on a plain background where they stick out there. Wink Laughing Out Loud Just look around and see how may time you will now notice them. Razz Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean, as you say, context is everything, but it would be wrong to think that this symbol is simply 'ancient' and 'decorative'. It is very much a part of a current tradition in cultures who have nothing to do with those who mis-appropriated its meaning. Surely it would be disrespectful to them to suggest that they wait a few centuries (as Jean suggests) until the 'white man' cleanses his conscience of the sins of his ancestors before they can continue to use their own symbols with pride? Not only do they have to suffer their own symbols being soiled by a despotic madman, through no fault of their own, but they now have to wait until 'we' feel good enough about ourselves to let them reclaim these symbols for themselves........

Anyway, enough derailing, on to values. Last year I saw one of these police bayonets, without the frog and sword knot and in worse condition, go for around GB£150 as part of a job lot. I would have expected a complete example in better condition to retail for around GB£380-400. But bear in mind that this is in the UK where these things are found at practically every arms fair, along with the ubiquitous Luftwaffe daggers. At the time, some US retailers were selling them for $900+.

Attached are pics one that belonged to a good friend of mine.

Julian

Attachment: 66.36 KB
Police Bayonet 1.JPG

Attachment: 46.66 KB
Police Bayonet 2.JPG

Attachment: 33.87 KB
Police Bayonet 3.JPG

Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's very interesting (to me) that the eyes of the eagle on the sample Julian presented are much more crude than Andy's OP photographs.
...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Andy Cobb

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After doing some more looking (based on all the links provided here) I am starting to think my dagger is in pretty good shape! The end of the blade is not great but the rest of it is pretty nice - the leather, while a little knicked up here and there, is basically in tact. Not bad for for 64 years or so. I even moved it to the gun safe and out of the drawer it was in Happy

I also have an old sword that my dad bought on trip to London in the 70's - it's pretty rough as it lived in our damp basement for far too many years but when I get around to it I'll post some pics and see what everyone thinks of that.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." – James Madison
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott,

Andy's bayonet is by a completely different maker. As I said earlier, his was originally a WW1 long bayonet, which has been cut down and chromed, and these modifications and the cast fittings were added much later in the 1930s by yet another maker. The example I posted is a private purchase version, purpose-made from the start as a dress bayonet by Alcoso of Solingen. There are many makers and many variants, some cruder than others, as these were made in their tens of thousands.

Andy, yours is indeed in very good condition. As for the tip, that often gets damaged (I guess they were sometimes handled clumsily, and the chrome comes off with scabbard wear) - the one I posted has damage to the point.

Julian

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Nazi Dagger - any ideas or information?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: