Trying to Find The Name of a Weapon
Hopefully someone here can help with this.

Years ago I saw a weapon at a flea market booth. It was a large, flat club-like weapon with blades down the length. The person at the booth said that he thought it was a Chinese weapon. I've been trying to find one lately, but it's difficult not knowing the name or even definite origin of the weapon.

The best description I can come up with is a 5-6 foot macuahuitl with a single, continuous blade down each side.
Re: Trying to Find The Name of a Weapon
Earl Coe wrote:
Hopefully someone here can help with this.

Years ago I saw a weapon at a flea market booth. It was a large, flat club-like weapon with blades down the length. The person at the booth said that he thought it was a Chinese weapon. I've been trying to find one lately, but it's difficult not knowing the name or even definite origin of the weapon.

The best description I can come up with is a 5-6 foot macuahuitl with a single, continuous blade down each side.

It's not exactly the same thing, but the closest one I know of is a kanabo. It's from Japan, roughly the same size, but studded instead of blades.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/elperl...abool0.jpg

I have not seen any weapons like that in any of my japanese weapon info, and I can't picture it as a practical battlefield weapon there, but I don't know much at all about chinese weapons, armor, or combat. Hopefully that gives you somewhat of a start.
James Anderson III wrote:
[
I have not seen any weapons like that in any of my japanese weapon info, and I can't picture it as a practical battlefield weapon there, but I don't know much at all about chinese weapons, armor, or combat. Hopefully that gives you somewhat of a start.

The Chinese seem to have been very inventive and made large numbers of weird and exotic weapons so just about anything is possible but was it a popular or well known enough weapon to have a name ? If it was just a one-off variant of something like the Japanese weapon or just one person's invented weapon ?
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
James Anderson III wrote:
[

The Chinese seem to have been very inventive and made large numbers of weird and exotic weapons so just about anything is possible but was it a popular or well known enough weapon to have a name ? If it was just a one-off variant of something like the Japanese weapon or just one person's invented weapon ?

Try some of the stuff the Indians came up with as weapons...now those guys had imagination!
What about this Peruvian war club depicted here:

http://webprojects.prm.ox.ac.uk/arms-and-armo...923.88.10/

[ Linked Image ]

Or a shark-tooth sword from Polynesia:

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

Whilst neither are identical to your description, they may uncover directions for you to look in?
Thanks for the replies.

I've looked into the suggestions here to no avail. I suppose it'll just have to remain a mystery to me...
Try looking at pictures of an Aztec weapon called a Macuahuitl.

[ Linked Image ]
Earl Coe wrote:
Years ago I saw a weapon at a flea market booth. It was a large, flat club-like weapon with blades down the length. The person at the booth said that he thought it was a Chinese weapon.

The closest Chinese weapon I know of might be a double-edged spear/polearm. Some to be seen in Ancient Chinese weapons: a martial artist's guide, Yang, Jwing-Ming. E. T. Werner's book, Chinese Weapons, briefly discusses such weapons, so they're not just a modern martial arts fantasy weapon.

From Werner (pg 15): "The blade of the usual type of chien was two and a-half tenths of a foot between the two edges. The two sides of the back were of one-half this dimension. The back decreased in size rapidly towards the two edges of the blade; from the middle, it was divided into two ledges or grooves the width of the blade. The handle, which was twice the length of the blade, was of wood, had the blade to the extent of one-third of its length inserted in it. The head portion was rounded for this purpose."
Oops, sorry, I didn't read the original post closely enough. Obviously you know of the macuahuitl, and that's not the weapon you're looking for.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: