Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Celtic and Migration era range for projectile weapons? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Connor Ruebusch wrote:
The slinging style is also a consideration. What style do you use to throw?

Vertical plane, underarm release. This needs a sling to be short enough to not hit the ground at the bottom the swing, so not the longest range. Still, OK, and I think the most accurate. Also does heavy stones well, and I find it's the best style for coping with non-uniform stones - stones don't always come in one size.

I usually just pile my stones on the ground, which would make blind loading harder. Trying your method with a fake sling (indoors, and don't have a real sling here), it works. Better with a finger loop I think, than a wrist loop (which I use).

With a target past 40m, if you miss, you should have time for a 2nd chance before they reach you. If they're closer than 40m, and you miss, it might be time to run (or whatever). To spend a second or two watching to make sure they're hit and stopped means that they'll be that much closer.

Connor Ruebusch wrote:

Also keep in mind that you don't really have to aim in most warfare situations. The sling is a great weapon for flanking fire (sorry to use a firearm anachronism) and long-range volleys. The advantage of the slingers and peltasts in antiquity is that they could open ranks to lessen the impact of cavalry, and easily outrun heavy infantry, hopefully getting themselves to a more comfortable range to use more massed shooting techniques.

Extra-long range shots (by sling or arrow) have some nice potential for harrassment. Even if you only have a small number or extra-long range slingers, or archers shooting long range flight arrows, those on the receiving end will be that much less relaxed. Force them to form their army 100-200m further away means that they have that much further to come when they attack.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Connor Ruebusch

PostPosted: Thu 04 Nov, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Agreed, harassment is, I think, one of the most important jobs of missile troops. The effect that massed missile "fire" would have on troops' morale, whether the projectiles are arrows or stones or lead bullets, would be significant. Not every shot has to even be a killing or seriously wounding shot. If the enemy gets it in their heads that at any moment they might get a half pound lead sling bullet stuck in one of their faces, I should think it might be a lot easier to break them.

Any way, slinging style might have something to do with it. I did see a video where a slinger from the Balearic Isles, where the slinging tradition is apparently still very strong, did some very accurate slinging underarm... However, I'm always more accurate with an overarm throw. I do the "Byzantine Style," in which the sling makes one semi-horizontal circle around the head, terminating in an overarm release. It's a nice quick windup with no wasted movement, and with practice it's not too different from throwing a baseball. It does great with shorter slings, too. It seems like that might work better in a situation in which the enemy is closing in fast.

Edit: I really should have just quoted you. I also wanted to say that I do indeed use a finger loop, and have never even tried a wrist loop. I'll have to see how they work. I loop on my ring finger and squeeze the knot between forefinger and thumb.

Also! Here's a nice video of the Byzantine throw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHDAXa_-gC0
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 04 Nov, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Connor Ruebusch wrote:
I also wanted to say that I do indeed use a finger loop, and have never even tried a wrist loop. I'll have to see how they work. I loop on my ring finger and squeeze the knot between forefinger and thumb.

Loop goes around wrist, string comes down inside of wrist, and you hold this together with the free end. Super-secure, you can't lose it, never slips off in use. More comfortable.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 04 Nov, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In light of the tests performed for The Great Warbow, these archery ranges seem somewhat low. 150lb simple wooden bow managed around 230 meters with heavy arrows and up to 350 meters with light ones. A 100lb longbow should do as well with an equivalent number of grains per pound unless earlier bows were an essentially different animal, a notion Strickland argues forcefully against in the book.
Connor Ruebusch

PostPosted: Thu 04 Nov, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
In light of the tests performed for The Great Warbow, these archery ranges seem somewhat low. 150lb simple wooden bow managed around 230 meters with heavy arrows and up to 350 meters with light ones. A 100lb longbow should do as well with an equivalent number of grains per pound unless earlier bows were an essentially different animal, a notion Strickland argues forcefully against in the book.

Were bows of the Iron Age that heavy? I would have thought we'd be talking more in the hunting bow range for earlier longbows. Sixty pounds at the most, I would have thought.

Connor

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Celtic and Migration era range for projectile weapons?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: