Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Helmet auctioned for 2 million British Pounds yesterday Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bacchus Davis

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Helmet auctioned for 2 million British Pounds yesterday         Reply with quote

Roman Helmet actioned at Christie's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosby_Garrett_Helmet

Attachment: 28.52 KB
250px-Crosby_Garret_Helmet_at_Sale.jpg

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quoted from the Wikipedia article: "he helmet was found in 33 large fragments and 34 small fragments in pastureland on a farm at Crosby Garrett in Cumbria..."

Does anyone know if there is a discussion available for viewing regarding the reconstruction/ restoration of the piece? I can only assume it was documented. I wonder if there will be something published about it.

Check this out: http://www.tulliehouse.co.uk/romanhelmetappeal

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fascinating. What a great find. Lots of great metal detector finds in the UK these days. First the Staffordshire hoard and now this. I wonder what'll be next..?
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Quoted from the Wikipedia article: "he helmet was found in 33 large fragments and 34 small fragments in pastureland on a farm at Crosby Garrett in Cumbria..."

Does anyone know if there is a discussion available for viewing regarding the reconstruction/ restoration of the piece? I can only assume it was documented. I wonder if there will be something published about it.

Check this out: http://www.tulliehouse.co.uk/romanhelmetappeal

The was some talk on other boards questioning the authenticity of the helmet, the "real" location of the find and the speed with which it was put back together and auctioned. I can't recall exactly which board(s) I found the speculation on. I'll try to find it this weekend.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe it is real. I've been emailed by a person wishing to stay anonymous telling me that there are plans to publish material related to its find and restoration. Good news!
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are at least 2 discussions on the Roman Army Talk board, which unfortunately seems to be down at the moment.

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/

Both in the Roman History and Archeology section, I believe. When it comes back up I can dig out the exact links.

Valete,

Matthew
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a cross-post from the Armour Archive thread regarding the helmet that I made a couple of weeks ago, with regard to the authenticity of the helmet.

I want to say that most of the suspicion regarding the helmet has been cleared up at this point. The Portable Antiquities Scheme article presents solid information regarding the providence of the helmet, which was the most contested bit regarding the helmet's authenticity on the RAT discussion. The article quotes three experts in the field, two who clearly state that the helmet's find spot has been subjected to archeological investigation since the time of the helmet's discovery. The Tullie House Museum has made its statement regarding a plan to bid on the helmet as it is auctioned by Christie's. I do not believe they would be so dedicated to attaining the helmet if their experts felt its origins were still disputable.

-Gerhard

Quote:
Tullie House Museum bid to buy Roman helmet
Sep 14 2010 by Tony Henderson, The Journal

A MUSEUM last night launched an appeal to keep a Roman helmet in the North after it was unearthed by a metal detector enthusiast.

The Roman cavalry parade helmet was unearthed in the north Cumbrian hamlet of Crosby Garrett and is one of only three to have been discovered in Britain complete with face mask in the last 250 years.

It will be auctioned at Christie’s in London on October 7 where it is estimated to fetch between £200,000 and £300,000.

Last night, Tullie House Museum and Art Gallery in Carlisle launched an urgent public and corporate appeal to help to secure the helmet as a centrepiece for its £1.5m Roman Frontier: Stories Beyond Hadrian’s Wall gallery, due to open next summer.

According to Roman records, men of high rank or superior horsemanship wore gilded helmets at cavalry sports parades to draw the attention of spectators.

Unlike helmets made for active service, they were made to fit all round the faces of the riders, with apertures for the eyes.

The polished white metal surface of the face mask would have provided a striking contrast to the original golden-bronze colour of the hair and cap.

In addition, colourful streamers may have been attached to the rings along the back ridge and on the griffin crest.
In the development of its collections, Tullie House prioritises artefacts that are judged to be of high importance to the local heritage and to ensure that items remain in or are returned to Cumbria.

Georgiana Aitken, head of antiquities at Christie’s, said: “This helmet is the discovery of a lifetime for a metal detectorist.

“When it was initially brought to Christie’s and I examined it, I saw this extraordinary face from the past staring back at me and I could scarcely believe my eyes. This is a hugely important discovery and we expect considerable interest at the auction where it is sure to generate great excitement from museums and collectors alike.”

Dr Ralph Jackson, senior curator of Romano-British Collections at the British Museum, said: “The face mask of the Cumbria helmet is extremely finely wrought and chillingly striking. It is a find of the greatest importance.

“As a most powerful symbol of the might of Rome, it is a star display piece which could hardly be more appropriate to the collections, galleries and curatorial expertise of Carlisle’s Tullie House Museum.

“It is vital that the museum secures it.”

Companies and individuals wishing to pledge their support to the helmet appeal should telephone Tullie House on 01228 618743 or join the Tullie House Facebook group on the internet.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
The Tullie House Museum has made its statement regarding a plan to bid on the helmet as it is auctioned by Christie's.

Their efforts were not successful. Check out the link I previously posted for a story about it. It includes some pretty interesting details and a video.

Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Their efforts were not successful. Check out the link I previously posted for a story about it. It includes some pretty interesting details and a video.

Indeed, as this thread indicates. I mentioned that that was a copy/paste of a post I'd made a couple of weeks back, primarily regarding the authenticity of the helmet. It's a terrible pity that Tullie House lost the bid in their effort to acquire it, but I think they went too far in making a plea to keep the helmet from leaving England. As it was not against the law at the time for an international bidder to partake in the auction, then no prospective party has the right to complain about it. However, I think this incident does create justification to look into the future regulations in such situations as this, when chance has it that other items of great value to the archeological history of Britain may be at stake for becoming not only private purchases, but international ones.

-Gregory

*** Edited because I wanted to be more eloquent. Ha!

Last edited by Gregory J. Liebau on Fri 08 Oct, 2010 9:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
If it is not against the law at the time of the auction for the helmet to be sold to an international buyer, then no prospective buying party should complain about it. However, I think this incident does create justification to look into the future regulations in such situations as this, where other items of great value to the archeological history of Britain may be at stake for becoming not only private purchases, but international ones.

I certainly hope this find, and the money associated with it, promotes some thought into this issue.

Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Avete!

RAT is back up, so IF you need to read even more on the subject, here's the direct link to that discussion:

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=30123

(Turns out the second thread was nothing more than "Hey, here's an exciting new helmet!" and "Yup, already a thread on that one.")

I didn't bid on it. I don't have any shoes to wear with it, see...

Matthew

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Helmet auctioned for 2 million British Pounds yesterday
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic