Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Contest: The Swordsman's CompanionContest
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 16 Aug, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Contest: The Swordsman's Companion         Reply with quote

Win a copy of The Swordsman's Companion: A Modern Training Manual for Medieval Longsword
by Guy Windsor, Director of the School for European Swordsmanship, Helsinki

Patrick Kelly has donated a copy of this book as a free prize to give thanks to those who support myArmoury.com.

Description from the publisher:

Over the last decade, the study of European swordsmanship has become increasingly popular, with schools opening in Great Britain, the United States, Canada,Poland, France, Australia, Italy, Germany and Finland.

Drawn from a host of historical treatises, modern instructors are reconstructing the lost arts of swordsmanship, creating new methodologies based on the original texts. Although there are now many fine translations and interpretations of individual medieval masters, there has been no work aimed at the beginner.

With the Swordsman’s Companion, Guy Windsor has broken new ground, presenting for the first time a modern system based on historical techniques.Combining (as they did) fighting with the sword with wrestling and efficient footwork, Mr. Windsor’s book will prove intersting to any reenactor, martial artist, or student of medieval or renaissance military culture.

Mr. Windsor, founder and director of the School of European Swordsmanship, Helskinki, well-respected for his disciplined approach, offers numerous drills, explanations and bouting techniques designed to provide a solid foundation with which to pursue the study of swordsmanship as a martial art.

Read Stefan Dieke's review of The Swordsman's Companion

This book retails for around $25 US.

This contest is only available to those members who have contributed to myArmoury.com by purchasing an Enhanced Membership (upgraded or premier), donated money to our site, or who have subscribed to the Exclusive Offers and Promotions usergroup.

HOW TO ENTER:
  1. Ensure you're a registered member of myArmoury.com

2. Go to the usergroups section of our site

3. View information for the Exclusive Offers and Promotions, Premier Members, or Upgraded Members group

4. Subscribe to one of these groups
That's it! You're done!

You must be joined prior to Monday, September 6th, 2004. All participants will be entered into a drawing and the winning name will be randomly selected later that same Monday. Because this contest automatically enters all members of the Exclusive Offers and Promotions, Premier Members, Upgraded Members, and Donating Members groups, I'll contact the winner to make certain he wants the prize. If not, another winner will be selected.

Domestic shipping charges are included with the winning prize, but international winners will be required to pay for shipping.

Good luck to everyone!!

Rules and limitations:

1. You must be a registered member of myArmoury.com
  2. You must be joined to the Exclusive Offers and Promotions, Premier Members, Upgraded Members, or Donating Members usergroup to enter
  3. Only donating members who have contributed $10 US or more will be entered into this contest
  4. myArmoury.com moderators are not eligible to win
  5. Shipping charges are included for winners located in the continental US
  6. Only one entry per household is allowed

Please read our detailed Rules and Limitations document for complete information and our disclaimer.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 16 Aug, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is an excellent book, folks. It focuses specifically on those who don't have a group to train with or an instructor, but has some excellent advice about swordsmanship in general for even a seasoned practitioner. I particularly enjoyed Guy's philosophy and approach to historical swordsmanship in general, especially applied to bouting. It's specifically about the Italian system of longsword, but even for you German longsword guys (raising hand myself) you'll learn a lot from it.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Aug, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks to Patrick for donating the book and to Nathan & myArmoury crew for another great prize/contest.

This is something I could really use, since I'm out here on the other side of BFE, with not real instructors close by.

Bill
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Goodwin wrote:
Thanks to Patrick for donating the book and to Nathan & myArmoury crew for another great prize/contest.

This is something I could really use, since I'm out here on the other side of BFE, with not real instructors close by.

Bill

Not to take this OT, but to take it OT for a moment. Big Grin

Tobler has a new one out that I recently purchased. Similar general idea, German school. thus far a good read and a helpful tool to the beginner, in this case me. Cool

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Blaz Berlec

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 30 Aug, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can't wait on Lady Luck (if it is indeed a lady), I'm ordering both Windsor's and Tobler's books!

But great contest nonetheless. Keep it up!

Blaž

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The winner has been selected and, as per the rules, I'll be sending that lucky person a note. I want to ensure the prize is wanted before awarding it!! Keep your eyes open for an announcement. (Yes, I'm making you guys wait to hear the winner...)
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Entry for this contest has been completed!

No new entries are allowed.

Click here to see who the lucky winner is!

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Contest: The Swordsman's CompanionContest
Page 1 of 1