Hand-sewn and Dyed Surcoat
I hand-sewn and hand-dyed a surcoat to replace this one, which was done quickly and looked bad. Big thanks to Elling for helping me with the pattern.

Attachment: 77.79 KB
new_surcoat.jpg

Ohhh, very nice. What's going on in the front though? Is that a split with a gore set in? In the picture it looks like it's a different shade than the rest of your garment.
Yes, it is a split with gores. The back side of cloth dyed a bit less and is pinkish more than red, however this look matches some of surcoats depicted in Maciejowski bible, so I left it like that.

Attachment: 76.01 KB
otm24vc&d[1].jpg

Madder I presume?
Re: Hand-sewn and Dyed Surcoat
Walter S wrote:
I hand-sewn and hand-dyed a surcoat to replace this one, which was done quickly and looked bad. Big thanks to Elling for helping me with the pattern.

Could you share your dye components and your process? You are making some very nice progress!
Its dyed with dilluted acrylic paint, it only looks like madder :)
Walter S wrote:
Its dyed with dilluted acrylic paint, it only looks like madder :)

The color is actually really close to a madder-dye I did this summer.

Only I went through the process of rotting the madder in urine for two months, carrying about 15 liters close-to-boiling urine-madder-vat and defiling my bath-tub with it (I live in an appartement, I do not think my neighbours where thrilled about the fumes that eminated from my barthroom ventilation that day :D )

You saved yourself a lot of trouble, I can say, and look really good!

And Scott, if you want to know anything specific about dyeing recipes or processes, just send me a mail/pm. I have loads of info.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: