Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Mark.... daggers? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Rod Parsons

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Re:         Reply with quote

I would certainly be interested in good functional rondel and ballock knives. I don't think price would be too much of an issue for NG quality, pitched below the "one off " museum quality pieces that are beyond my purse.
It's for sure that I pay enough for knives that are not made to NG standards of fit and construction.
Rod.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Re:         Reply with quote

Rod Parsons wrote:
I would certainly be interested in good functional rondel and ballock knives. I don't think price would be too much of an issue for NG quality, pitched below the "one off " museum quality pieces that are beyond my purse.
It's for sure that I pay enough for knives that are not made to NG standards of fit and construction.
Rod.

Rod,
This came through as its own topic. I'm guessing it should be a reply to this thread. Please make sure you hit the "New Reply" not "New Topic" button when you mean to reply.

If this is not the correct thread, let me know which thread it's a reply to and I'll move it there.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
With swords, even mid-to-high-price-point ones like the NGs, one can count on some level of "WMA appeal" -- ie some people are buying with the intention of cutting. That isn't something that can be said of daggers. What can you really "do" with a dagger outside of collecting and costume use? I, personally, would pay for a historically accurate "NG dagger," but others might balk at a NG-type price for a dagger they intend only for costume use.

Brian M

Brian has it in a nutshell. Most people I see at Renaissance Faires have them for costume use. Also, they're illegal to carry around in most states whereas, curiously, swords aren't. I personally have three excellent daggers from AA, Lutel and a custom smith, but I only wear one or the other in costume and aside from the rare box that insults my honor and deserves to die, I haven't cut with them much. :-)

Most sparing my group does with daggers is done with wooden rondel replicas for safety reasons since even a "dull" metal dagger can cause pretty severe injuries. Therefore I would have to agree with Brian and say that there really isn't a big market for them aside from costume or display purposes and even then you can get a lot of custom but good quality daggers pretty cheaply on the open market. So IMHO I doubt there's much of a market out there for high quality daggers, or perhaps too much of a market with all the competition out there.
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

THIS:

From the Met. Talked about in this thread.
Happy
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Master Bladesmith         Reply with quote

For those who aren't aware of the requirement - speaking of the difficulty of making daggers - one of the required test pieces for testing to Master Bladeship from Journeyman in the ABA is a quillon dagger. From what I heard at the Atlanta Bladeshow, this is the single piece that fails most initial applicants for Master certificate. Consequently, I would tend to agree with the statement that "daggers might be more difficult than swords." Sounds like it to me!
"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Master Bladesmith         Reply with quote

GG Osborne wrote:
For those who aren't aware of the requirement - speaking of the difficulty of making daggers - one of the required test pieces for testing to Master Bladeship from Journeyman in the ABA is a quillon dagger. From what I heard at the Atlanta Bladeshow, this is the single piece that fails most initial applicants for Master certificate. Consequently, I would tend to agree with the statement that "daggers might be more difficult than swords." Sounds like it to me!

Based on some of the abominations I've seen at blade that went under the moniker of "quillon dagger" I'd have to agree. Happy

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Mark.... daggers?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: