German Cavalry Sword Identification please?
Hi all,
I'm posting pictures of a sword I picked up a few years ago and have never really been able to identify. I believe it to be a world war one German cavalry officers dress sword but may be completely off there. It has an ornate lion head on the hilt with red glass eyes and an engraved blade. I can't find any names or dates on the blade.

A few points of information:
On the blade right under the hilt overlap (blanking on the name sorry) is an image of a man swinging a hammer behind his back (which from my research is called Siegfried Wielding Hammer?) beneath that is P.O & Cş.

That's about all I know and I hope you can help,

Thanks in advance,

Brendan.

Attachment: 181.73 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 236.35 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 211.71 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 147.03 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 193.63 KB
[ Download ]
This is a WWI (or pre WWI) era Prussian officer's presentation sword, infantry I guess. The maker is Pack Ohlinger & Co - Solingen. Nice piece you have.
Thanks very much Ozsváth Árpád-István!
I really appreciate your help! :D
Hi Brendan,

I am pretty sure the crossed swords would indicate a cavalry officer. Is there a scabbard with it? Steel, leather? Would it be possible to show the sword overall side by side with the scabbard?

Pulling back to show the blade overall might be helpful. Some of these etched and gilt blades are also folded steel ("damascus") and I can't tell from the blade picture you share. Is the undecorated section of the blade more gray looking than bright shiny?

Cheers

GC
Glen,

The scabbard is steel painted black. I will post the pictures that you asked for tomorrow afternoon, when I have the chance. As for the blade the rest is quite shiny and reflective.

Thanks very much,

Brendan
Ok Glen, here are the picture you asked for.

Attachment: 222.81 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 165.04 KB
[ Download ]

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: