Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Breaking a Wootz Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Richard Furrer
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Breaking a Wootz Sword         Reply with quote

Hello All,
In 2001 I filmed a video of the destruction of a wootz sword.
Here it is in three parts:
http://doorcountyforgeworks.com/Wootz.html

WARNING
This may be a bit painful for some of you.

Ric

Ric Furrer
Sturgeon Bay, WI
www.doorcountyforgeworks.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting but wish there where some comments about what the results showed.

Hard to tell but I think the steel bent uniformly in a smooth curve initially but when the plastic deformation sets in it seems to bend much more at the pressure point.

The welded section of blade seemed to hold up as well as the rest of the old blade and the modern blade seemed to bend about the same amount before breaking ...... although numbers about pressure might give us more information.

Also would be nice to find the chemical or structural analyse done with the pieces.

Would also be very interesting to know the hardness of the old blade and if that hardness varied over the length or width of the blade.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Richard Furrer
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 23 Sep, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Interesting but wish there where some comments about what the results showed.

Hard to tell but I think the steel bent uniformly in a smooth curve initially but when the plastic deformation sets in it seems to bend much more at the pressure point.

The welded section of blade seemed to hold up as well as the rest of the old blade and the modern blade seemed to bend about the same amount before breaking ...... although numbers about pressure might give us more information.

Also would be nice to find the chemical or structural analyse done with the pieces.

Would also be very interesting to know the hardness of the old blade and if that hardness varied over the length or width of the blade.

The metallurgical study was all done in 2001 so I have all the results as well as the pressure and deflection numbers on the bend testing...it will be in the Wootz DVD I'm making for 2011 release.

Ric

Ric Furrer
Sturgeon Bay, WI
www.doorcountyforgeworks.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 23 Sep, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds good and I can understand not wanting to give all the information away as I assume you want to sell the DVD. Wink

If you can reveal a limited amount of information as a teaser it would be appreciate and it does seem like a DVD I would find interesting and might buy. ( Disclaimer: I never make promises or commitments I don't intend to keep but the odds are high that I would buy the DVD, but no promises at this time ).

Your site was also interesting to have a quick look at and I should go back to it to read more of it.

I would also find interesting to know the limits of what we can expect from period metallurgy but also the limits of the best we can make with modern materials and techniques. ( Well short of Unobtanium I assume that there are limits that even the best made and optimally heat treated steel can't surpass ...... everything has a point where testing becomes destructive testing ).

In general a ballpark idea of the zone where hard use become abuse a sword shouldn't be expected to come out of it without some major damage beyond aesthetic damage.

These might be interesting as a DVD also. Wink Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Breaking a Wootz Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic