Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Jody Samson sword: Info Please Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
George S. H.

PostPosted: Mon 20 Sep, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Jody Samson sword: Info Please         Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I recently came into this Jody Samson sword and would like more information on it, especially from Howy or Amy if ya'll are around. I am a longtime knife collector, and while I appreciate Jody's work in the knife world, I'm not a sword guy, and I would love your input on what I have here. Any information you can give me such as what type of sword it is, what you think it's history might be (apart from what I know about it below), and how you would evaluate it's condition and value would be appreciated. The background information I do have on it is:

This sword was brought into a Reseda, CA pawn shop by an actor. The actor may be connected with the Conan movie because a dagger in the Conan style was also brought in at the same time. Both pieces were personal gifts from Jody to the actor. All I can say about it is that it is supposedly a one-of-a-kind sword, it is sharp on both sides, the blade is unused and the pommel is in excellent condition. The pommel appears to made of brass and a hard wood like ironwood. It has Jody's stamp as well as his signature on the reverse, and his characteristic hollow grinds. Here are some pictures of the sword. Any information is appreciated. Thanks

Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Sep, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi George! This is one of Jody's earlier swords, maybe from the late 80's, early 90's. The hilt is probably brass or bronze, blade perhaps 1075 (one of Jody's favorite steels). The wood looks like it may be ironwood, or more probably cocobolo (it's beautiful!). I recall seeing a few of Jody's similar to this at Tony Swatton's store (damn, wish I would have gotten one back then!). Quite a nice one you've got there - I have three of Jody's swords from about the last two years he was alive, and I cherish them dearly.

Best,

Christopher Gregg

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
J.E. Sweeney

PostPosted: Tue 21 Sep, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

wow...beautiful piece. I love the lines, hollow ground and contrast between blade and furniture. jody was certainly an artist. great find.
- JESW

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Jody Samson sword: Info Please
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic