Sharpening Albion Squire Line Swords
Has anyone sharpened an Albion Squire Line blade and or had Albion do it for them. If yes, how did it work out? Inquiring minds want to know.
Larry,
I reviewed a sharpened version of their Squire Line 13th Century Great Sword. You can find the full text on the Reviews page. Albion did the sharpening. There is also a review of a sharpened Squire Line 13th Century Knightly Sword.

The one I cut with cut pretty well against light targets. It was sharp enough and easy enough to get up to speed that it did well against foam pool noodles.
I have a Squire Line Knightly that was sharpened by Albion. It had a very pronounced secondary edge bevel and the edge was not particularly sharp, or consistently so. However, this was a sword I bought second hand, so I can't speak for how much use the edge had seen. Possibly quite a bit, I suspect.

All the same, I felt it required substantial additional work to achieve a nice convex or "apple seed" edge geometry. If you are anticipating wanting this "proper" edge geometry (like what comes on the Next Gen swords), I don't feel it's worth the extra expense to have Albion do the initial sharpening. However, if a pronounced secondary edge bevel is acceptible to you, then you may want to seriously consider having Albion do the initial sharpening. But in any case, be prepared to sharpen your sword yourself if it's going to see substantial use.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: