Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Found a strange saber Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Daniel M. D. G.

PostPosted: Sun 12 Sep, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Found a strange saber         Reply with quote

Hi guys! I just got this saber and I'd trying to find some info on it. Once I get this appraised it’s probably going up on the market. I hope the pictures come through on this post.
Blade Length: 77cm / 30 3/8”
Handle Length: 14.5cm / 5 ½”
Total Length: 92cm / 36 ¼”
Blade Width: 3cm / 1 3/16”
Blade Thickness: 6.5mm / 5/16”
Weight: 32.5oz
Weight with Scabbard: 50.6oz
Guard Width: 8.5cm / 3 1/2”
Guard Height: 8.5cm / 3 1/2”
Point of Balance: 15.5cm / 6”
The guard is cast brass with some minor flash and pitting from the casting process. The grip is black leather wrapped with brass wire and a brass backstrap. The blade is sharp with a shallow clip point and has a deep, wide fuller with a false edge going back 1/3 of the blade; "Gendarmerie Royale" is etched into the blade in gilt lettering. The all metal scabbard has a two ring suspension system and a brass endcap. The blade and scabbard have a deep, even patina with no maker’s marks.
I have no solid information on where or when this piece came from. All I know is that "Gendarmerie Royale" is the gendarme organization of Morocco, formed in 1957 by King Mohammad V. Here’s the strange part: even though the blade is French, the fittings and scabbard are decorated in what appear to be imperial Japanese cherry blossoms. This is the best I could find out and it should be taken with a grain of salt.

http://api.photoshop.com/home_0078f95b2f1f43b...e3bb86fffc

http://api.photoshop.com/home_0078f95b2f1f43b...3be66e4dd2

Religion is for people who are afraid of going to hell; spirituality is for people who have been to hell and don't want to go back.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sun 12 Sep, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am afraid it is a modern sword made in China. There are many similar swords on ebay. Just search for "French sword" for many similar examples.
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Mon 13 Sep, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i think it looks nice.
and if price and quality are ok, why not buy such a one.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 13 Sep, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If one is seeking a modern sword of unknown quality, then by all means buy one. But if it is being sold as an antique or vintage piece with historical significance then I would avoid it.
Daniel M. D. G.

PostPosted: Mon 13 Sep, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It could be chinese, but what about the blade having no markings and no signs that any were removed? The ones on ebay are all from the same company and have their ugly logo stamped on them. For some forge to make an unmarked knockoff of a knockoff it would have to be very poor quality, which is not the case.
Religion is for people who are afraid of going to hell; spirituality is for people who have been to hell and don't want to go back.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 13 Sep, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would ignore the markings and look at the sword overall. It may or may not be made by the same manufacturer, but it is a modern Chinese sword that is probably supposed to replicate a Napoleonic era French sword.
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Mon 13 Sep, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Saber         Reply with quote

I have to agree whole heartedly with Jonathan. Looks like the typical chinese "fake" swords I see all the time on e-bay. While this appears based on a more Western styled military sword, it has all the looks of the Kanta like objects made in china and falsely represented as Japanese swords from WWII or earlier. They too have poorly cast brass parts (you mention flashing) with poorly antiqued finishes like what yours looks like to me. The odd scabbard fittings look like the chinese fake sword type to me as well. Nothing about this sword looks right to me. Even the Brass inlay inscription in big block letters crys out to me as a modern attempt at making a sword look like it has an interesting provinance.

I would be highly dubious and I think any qualified and knowledgable appraiser or collector of military swords (I believe Jonathan falls into the later catagory) upon being able to see this sword will confirm it is a modern knock off.

If its a "good quality" knockoff and you are happy with it and what you paid for it, enjoy it for what it is.

Terry

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
Daniel M. D. G.

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, it was worth a shot anyway. At least I won't be afraid to cut with it now.
Kjell Magnusson

PostPosted: Tue 21 Sep, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These swords may not have the structural integrity necessary to survive any use other than as a wallhanger, so using it for cutting may be somewhat dangerous.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Found a strange saber
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic