Go to page 1, 2  Next

The Albion Dane
I bought myself an Albion Dane two-handed sword with an Oxblood-colored grip. I ordered it awhile ago and got the call from Albion that it was done. The timing just so happened that it was completed on my birthday earlier in June. I've had it for a couple weeks now.

[ Linked Image ]

I'm super happy with this sword. It's agile and has really unique handling dynamics. There is a pivot point very close to the tip of the blade and so, combined with the extra long grip, it gives the sword an agility that is not normally found on swords of this size. The point control is exquisite.

Stats from Albion's site:

Specifications
Overall length: 58" (147 cm)
Blade length: 42" (106.7 cm)
Blade width at base: 1.4" (3.5 cm)
CoG: 4" (10.2 cm)
CoP: 24.5" (62.2 cm)
Weight: 4 lbs 10 oz (2.1 kg)

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

And just how big is it? Check it out with some other swords scattered around it:

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

Click any photo to see the high-resolution version
Congratulations Nathan I'm seriously envious. ;) :lol: But in a good way as I don't resent your having one only that it would certainly be something I would like.

Any opinion about the DT6168 I just ordered ? I really like the complex guard .... lets just call it a transitional sword to my finally breaking down and getting a rapier eventually.

Oh, my Longsword group also studies rapier so I might just dabble into the 16th century. ;) :p :lol: :cool:
A really beautiful sword! I like these photos much better than the ones on Albion's site. These show off the whole weapon much more clearly. Congrats on getting such a beautiful blade!
Beautiful pictures! Mine is oxblood, too. It's nice to get a preview. Haven't been home to see her yet.
Nice sword. Group shots of your collection always make me drool. You have such great stuff in it! The Dane fits in well, another beautiful sword for a beautiful collection! Congratulations on the sword!
I am glad to hear that you did receive something nice for your birthday Nathan. I really like the looks of the Dane as well as how it fits in nicely with the rest of your collection. Which always makes me envious when you post pictures with your latest pieces! I am looking forwards to hopefully at the minimum a mini-review of the Dane in the not so distant future.

Congratulations,
Scott
Its a really sweet sword, isn't it? Ed Toton owns one, and brought it into class a few weeks ago. I fell in love with it, and regret that I didn't reserve it back when it first came out (and was much cheaper).

For anyone who's handled the Arms and Armor Montante trainer, this is a remarkably similar sword.
Great pictures!

I'm very happy with mine as well. I'd say it is my 3rd favorite sword: 1) Svante 2) Brescia Spadona 3) Dane
Bill Grandy wrote:
Its a really sweet sword, isn't it? Ed Toton owns one, and brought it into class a few weeks ago. I fell in love with it, and regret that I didn't reserve it back when it first came out (and was much cheaper).

For anyone who's handled the Arms and Armor Montante trainer, this is a remarkably similar sword.

How does the handling differ/compare with the A & A 15th century twohander ?
http://www.arms-n-armor.com/sword156.html ( For those few who don't know it )

Since I have one of those it might give me a point of comparison. ( I happen to like the A & A by the way but it is a beast but I like the reach and outdoors it doesn't feel as huge ).

Firstly I'm assuming that the Dane is easier to use one handed and certainly faster and that this comparison may be too much apples versus oranges. ;) :lol:

Oh, I can handle the A & A one handed to a limited degree ....... sort of scary i.e. swing it fast and stop it on a dime. ( O.K. bragging a bit but true, wouldn't fight with it one handed as the weak of the sword would be impossible to control against opposition of an opponent's strong, but it's interesting testing the limits of one's control and recovery ).
Nathan, your photographs give us a good idea of what the sword really looks like.

When Albion is ready to release a sword to production, they should first send it to you to make the official photos for them.
Roger Hooper wrote:
Nathan, your photographs give us a good idea of what the sword really looks like.

When Albion is ready to release a sword to production, they should first send it to you to make the official photos for them.

I wish they would. :) I'd totally agree to do that. It would be cheaper than standard studio rates. Haha... and I'd do a real setup, not this "throw it down and shoot it" stuff that I do for my forum shots! I'd love to do group shots of the whole lineup to get a sense of scale. That would be cool.

Thanks, Roger. I appreciate that.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:

I wish they would. :) I'd totally agree to do that. It would be cheaper than standard studio rates. Haha... and I'd do a real setup, not this "throw it down and shoot it" stuff that I do for my forum shots! I'd love to do group shots of the whole lineup to get a sense of scale. That would be cool.

Thanks, Roger. I appreciate that.

I mentioned this before in some very old Topics of a few years back that I have often decided to buy a sword because of seeing it here well photographed on "myArmoury " including a couple of Albions that the standard site photos where not enough to motivate me to reach for my credit card or Paypal account. ;) :D :cool:

Even if the initial cost of having Nathan do the product photography was a little greater I'm sure the extra sales due to superior photography would quickly make it worth it for the maker(s): Albion or others.

Bad product pics at a lower cost is being penny wise and pound foolish in my opinion.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
not this "throw it down and shoot it" stuff that I do for my forum shots!

Wow. Even your "throw down and shoot it" stuff is a hundred times better than my pictures. Mine always come out... well... crap. Would you care to elaborate on how you shoot your sword pictures (perhaps in a separate thread if that's more appropriate)? I'd love to know how you make photo's like these.
You're killing me. :eek: The EBE Katzbalger, the A&A saber, the Albion Soldat and Dane, and next....

We need to talk about your estate planning. :lol:

On a side note, I think I'm turning Swedish, I think I'm turning Swedish, I really think so....
I was asked via email to share a photo of some historical swords of this type and so here is a photo:

[ Linked Image ]

From Middelalderens Tveæggede Sværd, by Ada Bruhn Hoffmeyer
I have one of these in my shop right now. The Dane is very impressive indeed.

This is one of those swords (and you really need to see this in person) that you display next to another 'smaller' sword and people just go "wow!"
Sander Marechal wrote:
. Would you care to elaborate on how you shoot your sword pictures (perhaps in a separate thread if that's more appropriate)? I'd love to know how you make photo's like these.

Hello Sander,

The search engine will find a good number of threads on or mentioning techniques and equipment, and Nathan has chimed in on a few of them.

Here's a good article to start with:
http://www.myArmoury.com/contribute/guide_photos_gen.php

cheers,
Eric
Eric W. Norenberg wrote:
Here's a good article to start with:
http://www.myArmoury.com/contribute/guide_photos_gen.php

Thanks!
Nice shots & congrats on your new beauty!
Nathan Robinson wrote:
I was asked via email to share a photo of some historical swords of this type and so here is a photo:

Here is another one.

National Museum, Copenhagen, Denmark.

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: