Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > (Not) Shutting Down Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allen Foster wrote:
While that is being built Allan is going to help me plan on putting together either a Later Crusade kit with a early great helm or a 100 years war kit with a pig face bascinet. I love this stuff!!!

Go for early 100 Years' War circa 1337-1360! This is just my personal preference due to the great changes and developments occurring at this time in history.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
T Lui

PostPosted: Sat 11 Sep, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's very distressing news, Allan. 8< The heater shield painted with my military unit patch insignia I purchased from Mercenary's Tailor is of the highest quality, and feels wonderful in the hand. Allan had shown me nothing short of the best customer service; always very prompt and courteous in all our e-mail correspondence. Once again, an amazing job with the shield, and if my circumstances were different (going to move very soon but have very strict weight limits on what I can bring with me) I wouldn't hesitate to purchase again from MT and Allan!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 11 Sep, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

T Lui wrote:
That's very distressing news, Allan. 8< The heater shield painted with my military unit patch insignia I purchased from Mercenary's Tailor is of the highest quality, and feels wonderful in the hand. Allan had shown me nothing short of the best customer service; always very prompt and courteous in all our e-mail correspondence. Once again, an amazing job with the shield, and if my circumstances were different (going to move very soon but have very strict weight limits on what I can bring with me) I wouldn't hesitate to purchase again from MT and Allan!

You could always buy something and defer the shipping until after your move and/or Allan could wait for your O.K. to make it an push it to the end of the production cue ? Just a suggestion no pressure. Wink Cool

Well you are right it is distressing news when one of our most reliable makers might have to pack it in: The ship may have 3 flooded compartments but it isn't sinking yet as the " pumps " ( new orders ) are, for now, keeping up with the breach i.e. taxes, business expenses, and living expenses of in flowing financial obligations. ( We are sort of the " damage control " crew patching up the hole ).

Also this is an industry wide problem, meaning that if we want our vendors to still be there when we want something we had better give them whatever business we can afford to keep as many of them afloat as possible. ( We will lose some in any case I'm afraid, but without our support by buying their stuff, we risk losing a larger number of our best makers. I would add that this should also be a concern just out of the longstanding relationships we have had with our favourite makes or vendors and because many became our friends in this small nice community ).

Oh, Allan also made for me a heater shield where he added a steel cross and 4 small crosses in each quadrants between the arms of the large cross: This was a request from me to add some limited steel coverage to the shield face to give it greater durability as these areas of steel give a great deal of protection to the leather cover from getting cut by an edge. Also aesthetically very pleasing. So on request Allan will do some limited customization.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a little bump to continue helping Allan, although the response has been good it's good to remember that Allan and other makers need sustained sales over time to keep going longterm: So continue supporting all our makers like Allan who give good customer service and keep them around in business Wink
Ian S LaSpina

PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan,

I just spoke to you yesterday about my B&B (which I'm super-excited to receive btw), and just wanted to say that it's an extremely wonderful experience working with you. I sincerely hope that things pick up. You're an asset to the arms and armor community and would be deeply and sorely missed if you had to close shop.

I've been sitting on some massed-produced arms and legs for quite a while now, and I'm thinking that my kit would probably benefit much more from some higher quality ones in the near future, and possibly a nifty 14th c gorget that I've been eyeing for quite some time. Looking forward to working with you again in the future. Thanks for everything Allan!

-Ian
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 20 Sep, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well in the spirit of helping to keep the industry alive I just bought the Spiked mace from A & A.
http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole004.html

Mentioned this on a few Topic threads already and mentioning it here also to just re-make the point that we should support our makers by buying their stuff now and not wait for the economy to get better if we are able to afford to do it if our personal financial situation is secure.

Buy now and keep our makers in business so that we can also buy later and they will still be around when we do want something they make. Wink

Joshua Anthony

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First post here, so howdy everyone Big Grin I thought I'd add my two cents, and try to make my first post a constructive one. I don't know you or your work, so I hope I'm not about to say anything offensive as that would be the last thing I'd want to do. My aim is only to help.

That being said, artisans and craftsmen are usually not great businessmen. They might be okay at it after practicing their craft for years and doing business with customers, but at best being good at business will be a strong weakness for a blacksmith. I'm going out on a limb here when I bet you're cut from the same cloth. You want to practice your art and do what you do best. Best case scenario is that you practice your art, blacksmithing, and let someone handle the business or front office like a general partner.

Of course the best case usually takes money, usually more than artists have so I'm going to offer another good concrete option. I suggest that you go to your local Lion's or Rotary Club, with clubs in almost every city. They have MBA's, accountants, and other business folks there who, though retired from full-time work, still like to keep their hand in the game. Many of these people have decades of experience, and most will consult for free, or for a minimal fee. Tell them your situation and I'm betting you'll be overwhelmed with help. You'll get solid ideas and action steps about how to run your business better, save money, and bring customers in the door. You might even find someone who would come in a day or two a week and help run the place and clean up your books, even if you work out of your garage. I'm also betting that there are opportunities out there for making or saving money you're not even aware of.

Rotary Club people are in the organization to give back to the community, so you'll be giving them a sense of purpose by asking for help, and getting help for your business at the same time. Win/Win.

"...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Josh, thanks very much for your thoughts. Nope no business manager, I have a few guys that work with me, but I co-ordinate production, handle shipping, answering email the whole ball of wax otherwise. If I could afford to hire a business manager, we wouldn't have been in danger of closing. I've actually had to let some one go who had 4 years with us last year because simply put, things have gotten increadibly slow. The collectors, re-enactors WMA/SCA folks, are all financially in a pinch so they can't afford to do what they did a few years ago and that has hit the whole industry not just myself. I'm a pretty savy businessman, but no amount of business accumen can make up for a lack of work, if the public doesn't have money, business doesn't have money. On the upside if you've perused this thread, folks really went to bat for us in a truely amazing way that still has me in awe. Its what motivated me to do the " Industry visibiltiy/Customer appreciation " giveaway in another thread here, to say thanks to those who helped us out and bring attention to other folks in the industry. I'm already lining up another certificate for next month from another maker ( that reminds me I need to get a list of all those who are in for this months drawing).
Joshua Anthony

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Putting the word out is a good idea, but at best it's putting out a fire until the next one comes. Consider my advice about the Rotary Club. Like I said you'll be getting free or very cheap advice, and it might give you some fresh ideas or a new direction to go in. Shaking things up sometimes is always good. Maybe SCA folks don't have money, but other folks out there do. You just need to find them. I didn't know about your work until I checked out Albion, which led me here, which led me to you...
"...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Consider my advice about the Rotary Club.

My lawyer and neighbor, is the head of the Rotary in my town. He and his three sons get armour for Christmas every year in gratitude for legal service favors he's done for me. I've spoken at our Rotary twice in the last 4 years. They know who I am.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua Anthony wrote:
Putting the word out is a good idea, but at best it's putting out a fire until the next one comes. Consider my advice about the Rotary Club. Like I said you'll be getting free or very cheap advice, and it might give you some fresh ideas or a new direction to go in. Shaking things up sometimes is always good. Maybe SCA folks don't have money, but other folks out there do. You just need to find them. I didn't know about your work until I checked out Albion, which led me here, which led me to you...

I think your advice is very good, and you are correct that many in this industry are artists and craftsman that are not always very good business managers but in the specific case of Allan he has always made a point of giving the kind of AAAA+ customer service that is often sadly lacking by the less " well organized " !

Someone doing this kind of work as a sideline or partime with little or no overhead costs can be somewhat less efficient or business savvy but those making it their fulltime work do have to be professional in their customer relations but also in managing all the costs involved in buying supplies, paying employees, marketing and being sure they give good customer service and quality control of their work etc .....

Like Allan said the problem now is that most of the likely customers are tightening their belts and have less money for hobbies or collections.

As to finding new people who might be likely buyers that has some merit as well as being easy to find by people new to armour or arms collecting if this hasn't already been done in an optimal fashion. Big Grin Cool

Oh, your words and the desire to be of help is I'm sure appreciated by Allan, as it impacts him directly and other makers in the same situation, but I personally find it admirable and very kind. Happy

Joshua Anthony

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Jean. I am trying to be helpful, as I always root for the small businessman. I don't want to come across as an arrogant ass, and these Internet forums can be tricky to put one's point across without getting misread.

Allan, when I did a quick Google search under "SCA armor" your website didn't come up in the first five pages I looked at. Have you considered buying ad space with Google for a premium search result so that your site comes up first or second? Most of the stuff I buy on the Internet has come from a Google search if I don't know who to ask....

Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good news is that the recession has offically been called over:

http://www.nber.org/cycles/sept2010.html

Bad news is that its still likely to be quite a while before that means anything tangible to consumers. So maybe the watch word of the day really is just hang in there for everyone in the industry.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't want to derail this thread, but I just wanted to say thanks to Josh for his advice, even though it wasn't aimed at me. Although I am not a professional craftsman, I suffer from some of the same issues that that he mentioned. I'm not really a businessman, I'm in business for myself because there is no one to hire me to do what I do except me.

My sister-in-law is actually pretty involved with Rotary, although she doesn't live near me. I think I'll start by talking to her and then look into that locally.

And to get a little more back on topic, Al I'm glad things pulled together for you. I'm trying to pull together the means and justification to buy a couple of bucklers from you. I loved the ones you had at Chiv Weekend. That's probably the most I'll be able to manage for a while, but I hope it helps.

Ottawa Swordplay
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Good news is that the recession has offically been called over:

http://www.nber.org/cycles/sept2010.html

Bad news is that its still likely to be quite a while before that means anything tangible to consumers. So maybe the watch word of the day really is just hang in there for everyone in the industry.

But all that this means is that our economy hit the bottom and has started to recover. The linked article mentions that the bottom of the economic trough was June 2009. While we have technically been in a recovery since then, the recovery is awfully slow.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
R D Moore

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When the Dow stays above 11,000 I'll start breathing more regularly....elections comming up in a couple of months so it should show increases till those are over anyway.
"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan,

I'll certainly pray for you and yours. And God's blessing to those who were able to patronize Allan's business to keep him afloat. It's wonderful to be part of a community where people help each other out. It's the smaller industries such as this one in which folks are there for one another the most!

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm bumping this one up because although the response was great I sort of worry about Allan if sales get stalled again, so just a little reminder that it's steady business that is needed for Allan and many of the other niche businesses out there we hope can stay afloat until the economy eventually gets better. Wink

So support Allan and also your other friends in the business of making our favourite things.

I've bought a few things recently from Allan and A & A and from KoA but I certainly understand that the pace of buying by those still in a position to buy may have to be somewhat slowed down, but it's important that buying doesn't dry up completely.

Oh, and no single one of us can support the makers all by ourselves. Wink

Allen Foster

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan told me that one of the folks who came through the biggest for him was Hal at Therion Arms. Let's not forget to thank Hal by buying from him too.
"Rise up, O Lord, and may thy enemies be dispersed and those who hate thee be driven from thy face."
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hal was going to be our November recognized business but due to lack of customer intertest in the giveaway it looks like thats not going to happen.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > (Not) Shutting Down
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: