Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > (Not) Shutting Down Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(5 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Allan,

I just blew most of my yearly hobby budget on an A&A product, but after reading your post I put in an order just now for the kite shield I have been eyeing for a while. I have one of your helms and think that you make the best products in this price range.

I guess this shows that Jean Thibodeau was dead-on right in his previous post.

If I may give some constructive advice - I think you might have a marketing problem. Likely most people outside of this closed community are not aware of you and how good your stuff is for the price. Everything is global now - have you considered going through retailers like Kult of Athena and Reliks? I know the folks at Reliks and would put in a good word for your products - just a bit more than the Asian stuff and so much better. One other little thing - there's some material on the front page of your web site that is a bit intimidating for us non-Americans. Remember that you do have friends and admirers outside of the good ol' USA.

Good luck, JD
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wayland T. Phipps wrote:
I'll be picking up a pair of greaves from your site here shortly, and i truly wish you guys the best. my hat goes off to you Allan, as well as the entire armoring community

Sales right now are important to keep him in business but a continuing stream of incoming orders are what is needed medium to longterm to keep the business viable: My point being that even those who can't buy something right now are going to be helping him if they buy in the coming weeks or months.

Also Allan is right that if we want our favourite makers to still be there in a few months or a year or two from now we have to buy their stuff if we can afford it and are not ourselves in financial trouble i.e. if everybody defers buying to next year or the next when the Economy might be better the odds are that the sword or piece of armour you are dreaming about won't be available and many many of our best makers/vendors will have gone belly up !

Think of it as going back to pre 1990 - 2000 when finding quality historically accurate or functional swords was limited to a handful of makers ( Some of which are still here like Del Tin and A & A but at the time very few other options than full custom work , but no Albion and their extensive variety of period swords and many small makers driving cabs or building cell towers rather than making swords or armour ).

Don't expect a lot of choices or good makers out there in the future if we don't support them by deferring buying for too long: Maybe don't buy now,but buy soon even if many of us will have to be more careful about how often we can buy.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Dear Allan,

I just blew most of my yearly hobby budget on an A&A product, but after reading your post I put in an order just now for the kite shield I have been eyeing for a while. I have one of your helms and think that you make the best products in this price range.

I think you will really like his Kite Shield. Wink Cool

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, by the way I also already have his steel target and that is an impressive piece although for real practice I would choose the version without the spike, if I was fighting for real in individual combat the spike would have a lot of uses. Wink Big Grin

Very solidly made with the rolled edge over the 3/16" steel rod.

Just bringing attention to some of Allan's pieces that people may find particularly interesting. Wink

http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/product_inf...ucts_id=77

Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Dear Allan,

I guess this shows that Jean Thibodeau was dead-on right in his previous post.

If I may give some constructive advice - I think you might have a marketing problem. Likely most people outside of this closed community are not aware of you and how good your stuff is for the price. Everything is global now - have you considered going through retailers like Kult of Athena and Reliks? I know the folks at Reliks and would put in a good word for your products - just a bit more than the Asian stuff and so much better. One other little thing - there's some material on the front page of your web site that is a bit intimidating for us non-Americans. Remember that you do have friends and admirers outside of the good ol' USA.

Good luck, JD

now thats not a bad idea. maybe go part time or weekends if needs be and sell thru Therion or Kult of AThena etc till times get better. it surely would be better than shutting down and selling everything off. even if you have to take a 9-5 job.

also, what you need is better photography I think. your stuff is a lot better in person than it can be interpreted on the website. I know this when I saw Ed Toton's goodies and was impressed at the extra detail that was in each piece that isn't normally put on such areas.

Everyone who has Allen's pieces, do some myArmoury photos using the forum standards! that would be some popping pictures for sure! And a gallery of folks who have the armour as well showing the clientèle with their goodies would be-welcomed to the Merc Tailer website too I think

just some simple thoughts to keep you from shutting the doors!
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Man, this situation sucks. If I wasn't effectively unemployed myself atm I would ordersomething right thsi seccond. Rest assured the moment I do have any disposable income I will be buying some gauntlets to go with the fantasic vambraces and besegues I purchased a few months back.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:

Everyone who has Allen's pieces, do some myArmoury photos using the forum standards! that would be some popping pictures for sure! And a gallery of folks who have the armour as well showing the clientèle with their goodies would be-welcomed to the Merc Tailer website too I think

Well there are some pics of peoples armour on the MT site showing peoples kits: Some armour from other sources mixed in but 80% of it is from Allan's shop.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2019672...23a8b16a92

Here is one of one of my kits with the Articulated Neck version of the Sallet I bought ( Just purchased the fixed version ).

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3094452...=fbx_album

Here is another of my kits with the arms being the main part made by Allan. ( The caption on the site details the origins of each piece ).

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3124258...=fbx_album

These pics of customers kit do give a good idea of how good a kit one can put together using Allan's stuff which being " munitions " quality is very usable and need not be handled with cotton gloves in fear of a rust spot.

( If Chuck missed seeing this on the Mercenary Taylor's site them maybe the link to the pics should be highlighted better and bigger so that people don't miss it. Wink I know I was visiting the site for years and only noticed this a year ago when I then sent pics to Allan to use on his site ).

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nat Lamb wrote:
Man, this situation sucks. If I wasn't effectively unemployed myself atm I would ordersomething right thsi seccond. Rest assured the moment I do have any disposable income I will be buying some gauntlets to go with the fantasic vambraces and besegues I purchased a few months back.

Thanks and don't feel bad about not being to buy anything right away as you are adding to Allan's longterm customer base and when you do buy some time from now the money will be as needed then as it's needed now. ( At least this is how I see it although I can't speak for Allan I know he appreciates the though and the kind words ).

Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Getting it together to start another day of hammer jockeying but again wanted to say thanks so much to you folks. While there is no crystal ball for anybody, because of the support we've had from you folks we'll be in the game for a bit yet.

Quote:
I just blew most of my yearly hobby budget on an A&A product,

Great, i'm glad you've done so, Craig and the guys need it as much as we do.

I'm off to to swing a hammer. Thanks so much for keeping us in the game, and as of now we are still in the game because of you!
Josh MacNeil

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will be ordering some gauntlets and greaves later on this evening. Not much, but it's something. Cheers guys, and good luck to you.
Christopher Finneman

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well Im glad we can help you out Allan.
And yes even helping out the others too would keep this hobby/sport alive and well. Even if you buy pieces or projects down the line a lil buisness is alot better than no buisness.
And like most people got a lil worried we may not see some great armour from you

Btw you get my email for the gorget? Just need the info and payment will be on the way.

Proudly it stands until the worlds end. The victorious banner of love.
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sent you more $$$ via paypal - that should cover the bracers/couters - am trying to get ahold of Jason to see where he is on buying my Crecy so that I can pay you for breast/back and pauldrons.

Hang in there, Brother!

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
J.D. Crawford wrote:

Good luck, JD

now thats not a bad idea. maybe go part time or weekends if needs be and sell thru Therion or Kult of AThena etc till times get better. it surely would be better than shutting down and selling everything off. even if you have to take a 9-5 job.

also, what you need is better photography I think. your stuff is a lot better in person than it can be interpreted on the website. I know this when I saw Ed Toton's goodies and was impressed at the extra detail that was in each piece that isn't normally put on such areas.

I agree. The pair of spaulders I bought from Allan were a beautiful deep peacock blue that would look stunning, but the photo on the site did not do the piece justice. Get someone to model the piece in your photos: that way the customer can see how it fits as compared to other armor parts.

It was too bad though, but I ended up selling those spaulders. They did not fit (way too big).

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:

It would be nice to see more of their cool helms here, which is getting a lot of google hits for some reason: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=18254

Mine is in the first picture (but I'm not sure if my photos are up to forum standards!).
John Van Hassel
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan, I hope things pick up. We've faced the same decision twice this year, and are holding on for the time being, and are hoping the light we see isn't a train.

Most professional armourers won't talk about their problems in public, but every shop I know of is in this same spot, having to decide whether to keep operating. If I could get my mortgage company to accept Job Satisfaction in lieu of cash, we'd be golden, but they seem stuck on cash, LOL.

Good Luck,

http://windrosearmoury.com
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Van Hassel wrote:
Allan, I hope things pick up. We've faced the same decision twice this year, and are holding on for the time being, and are hoping the light we see isn't a train.

It's very nice to see you on this forum John!

This thread is a sober reminder of the every day realities we are facing in these difficult times.

I've stopped complaining about taking a pay cut and assuming the responsibilities of two co-workers who were recently "downsized". I still have a job, which is something that can't be said about some of my friends.

I can only hope that stand-up people like Allen, John, Chris, Andre and a multitude of other gifted and hard working craftsmen can survive in this economy. It would be a sad day indeed if we were to loose any of them.

Regards,
Scott

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
James Anderson III

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm potentially a few months away from ordering (trying to sell a car to fund other toys) but I have plans for about $1500 in gear from you.

Hang in there, Allan! You make some impressive armor, we can't lose you!

Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you have a login and passwd for Allan's site and you like something he has made for you....... you can also take the time to post a review. His site has a review feature for each item. That is a good way to point out the little things that he does on each piece that take it from munition grade to something much much nicer and I find when I am thinking of purchasing something that such reviews are nice to read.

For those interested in 16thc., Allan and MT does some very interesting stuff that you are not going to find elsewhere (at the price)...... his peascod, the 16th c arms with rotating rerebrace, the almain collar, and the Rhodes bevors to name a few.

tr
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

People are feeling it everywhere, including the public sector where I am. Even though my personal salary is protected (and I'm happy to help hard-working creative people where possible), the salaries of my ~20 direct employees are not. I've spent the last year borrowing money from other budgets, trying to keep people afloat while cutting everything else down to the bone. While our goverment was noisily handing out billions in one-time incentives, they were quietly cutting millions in existing operating budgets. Then there's our people in professional training positions, who after 10-15 years of low-paying post-secondary education now find there are no jobs for them. And the hundreds of others that I am partially resonsilbe for through network programs that might implode after years of setting them up. Its nowhere near as bad in my sector as the auto industry closures, but still its been tough to get a good night of sleep this past 1.5 years.
Allen Foster

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just ordered something I've always wanted:

While that is being built Allan is going to help me plan on putting together either a Later Crusade kit with a early great helm or a 100 years war kit with a pig face bascinet.

I love this stuff!!!

"Rise up, O Lord, and may thy enemies be dispersed and those who hate thee be driven from thy face."

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > (Not) Shutting Down
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: