New Member, New Swords......
Hi everyone, new member here, from Greenville, SC. Not really a sword collector, but have about 20, including these I got yesterday. One is said to be a rapier from an expedition led by Cortez - previous owner bought it at auction 40+ years ago, but cannot find documentation ( he is searching ). Is this possible ???? All have been sitting in a trunk in a musty basement, have a coating of surface rust that I will wipe off soon. I know a couple are fraternal, the rapier & the basket are the most interesting to me. The rapier says TOLEDO in the groove - there are other marking, but I have not had time to clean them up & inspect them yet. He said he does not believe the scabbard is original to the rapier, but it sure fits good !! I love to know what I am getting into with all this stuff I find, and if anyone is nearby, let me know !! Call me anytime, my cell is 702-416-4800, or shoot me an email.
Thanks,
Rick

Attachment: 125.57 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 166.08 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 174.28 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 190.66 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 211.64 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 183.33 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 74.24 KB
[ Download ]
this item is in no way an rapier.its an simple DEGEN and dates around1780.so alone much to late for the date of Cortez
it may be an military issued one or an private item.in any case it has nothing to do with the person of Hernando Cortez.
one gets such things here in good old germany for around 500 bucks
cheers
Thanks for the response Markus. I know little about swords, and have a Prussian Degen, this one is nothing like it though. It is very delicate, almost petite compared to the degen.
I agree with Markus regarding the small-sword. I think I have managed to ID most of the other swords. The fraternal swords probably have decoration that will help us identify the organizations to which they belong. The bayonet should have markings that will indicate when it was made and by whom, and maybe even the regiment to which it was issued. The M1902s will probably have maker names and may even have the owner's names etched on the blades.

Jonathan

(See attachment.)

Attachment: 80.1 KB
[ Download ]

Last edited by Jonathan Hopkins on Wed 08 Sep, 2010 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Well, I know one thing for certain and that is that I will be making a clamshell smallsword soon! Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: