Teutonic sword
I was asked a question via e-mail.
If I had a picture of a Teutonic sword.
I replied that there aren't swords that can be called Teutonic. Only swords, that could be, in scabbards of Teutonic knights.
A little as the Knights Templar swords, Templar swords are not only of this order.
Returning to the Teutonic, the answer was: are you sure?
I was a little confused, but, maybe I'm wrong.
The Teutonic Knights had swords, due to them?
I'd like to know more.
Perhaps when they used the term Teutonic, they simply meant German. Maybe they were thinking of something ancient like the Albion Cherusker - http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...rusker.htm -
I think he is referring to the order.
I read a book by Oakeshott, I forget which, that Manfred's knights , son of Frederick II, wore swords XIII.
Maybe some other author speaks of specific Teutonic Order swords and I do not know.
With swords, we can never rest easy... :)
Maurizio D'Angelo wrote:
I think he is referring to the order.
I read a book by Oakeshott, I forget which, that Manfred's knights , son of Frederick II, wore swords XIII.
Maybe some other author speaks of specific Teutonic Order swords and I do not know.
With swords, we can never rest easy... :)

Given the geographical origin of the Teutonic knights, perhaps, one could look to pieces thought to have originated in germanic territory. I'm not aware of any Teutonic swords specifically, any more than any specific Templar swords, or Hospitaller swords. I may be wrong, but I suspect that the millitary orders were using the same types of weapons as their contemporaries.

The hilt design of the Albion Ritter is said to have a more Germanic provenance. I believe I read that type XIIIa swords were comparitively popular in germanic lands as well.

That said- sword designs would have seen a certain degree of geographical dispersion in the middle ages.

In short, I think it's hard to say.
Yes, if I'm not mistaken, the Teutonic knights simply would have used fairly typical swords for the period and the Germanic region. They would not have had something specific to the order.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: