Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Problem with sword scabbard and how to fix it? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Zlatko Vlašic

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Problem with sword scabbard and how to fix it?         Reply with quote

I recently purchased a Tinker Pearce Bastard sword and while I am very happy with the overall purchase and quality of the sword, there is a minor snag with the scabbard (literally) that bugs me.

Basically, as I slide the blade into the scabbard, once the tip reaches almost all the way down the scabbard, sometimes it snags on something inside the scabbard - basically gets stuck a bit. It only happens sometimes, usually when the tip of the blade is lies on one side of the scabbard. It feels as if there is something loose inside, maybe a piece of leather? And sometimes the tip catches this loose bit and snags.

I am a novice in the hobby, so I have no idea what it could be. I don't even know how a typical scabbard is constructed (by t he way, this one is made of wood). I tried flashing a light inside to peer what is going on, but no use. I would probably need an endoscope te get a good look inside Sad

I have no idea how (if at all possible) to try to fix this....any ideas please?!

On a related note, I would welcome any advice on sword maintenance.

Thanx

"To you, Baldrick, Renaissance is just something that happened to other people."

Edmund Blackadder
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On the H/T scabbards, there is a black plastic insert that holds the tip to keep it from rattling. Get a wire coathanger, straighten it out and put a little hook shape in the end. Try to reach down in there and just snag it out, it is only held in place by friction. Then, after you have gotten the plastic out - drop a couple small pieces of wool into the scabbard and push them down with your blade. Add just enough wool - one small piece at a time, until you solve any rattling. Happy
J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
A.A. Boskaljon

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
Then, after you have gotten the plastic out - drop a couple small pieces of wool into the scabbard and push them down with your blade. Add just enough wool - one small piece at a time, until you solve any rattling. Happy

I like this idea Happy
Zlatko Vlašic

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
On the H/T scabbards, there is a black plastic insert that holds the tip to keep it from rattling. Get a wire coathanger, straighten it out and put a little hook shape in the end. Try to reach down in there and just snag it out, it is only held in place by friction. Then, after you have gotten the plastic out - drop a couple small pieces of wool into the scabbard and push them down with your blade. Add just enough wool - one small piece at a time, until you solve any rattling.

It's that simple? Surprised

I was worried that maybe it's a structural thing and that I'd have to ditch the entire scabbard or risk damaging the tip (it's extremly pointy by the way Big Grin).

I'll try this and see if I can pry it out...

Thanx for the advice Wink

"To you, Baldrick, Renaissance is just something that happened to other people."

Edmund Blackadder
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 01 Sep, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, that's it. You should be able to get it out easily. On one of my H/T scabbards, I did not even have to fish it out. I just turn it upside down and tapped it on my workbench and it fell out.

Good luck with getting it out of there! Happy

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Brogdon Combs

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good tips, Jon. I know they weren't aimed at me, but thanks nonetheless- I have a H/T Bastard on the way and this will likely be a problem I encounter as well.

One thing worth mentioning in regard to the OP, however, is that H/T scabbards are NOT wood, but fiberglass. Oh, and just as a precautionary thing, please check the metal piece at the mouth of the scabbard to make sure that it does not touch the edges of the blade as you draw and sheathe the sword. I've seen a few people have issues with this, and it would be a shame for your sword to get dulled by accident like that.

Enjoy! That is a very awesome sword.

-Brogdon

"Here's to you, mister pirate-ship-captain! With your endless booty calls and a violent streak that makes Grand Theft Auto look like Super Mario Kart, only you could bring the wooden leg back into fashion, and only you could fight three men at a time with a patch over one eye and a hook for a hand."
-Strongblade.com

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Problem with sword scabbard and how to fix it?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic