Unusual cup-hilted rapier.
I've ruffled through my books, but didn't find anything exactly he same in terms of construction. Blade is marked Sebastiano Hernandez en Toledo, and is possibly German. The cup is unusually small, and initially I thought it was a guardapolvo.
What are your thoughts?

Attachment: 92.25 KB
a94f316e513c441e69924092b4425ae6.jpg

Attachment: 58.55 KB
386d3985054dbd6dc8e965ecd5f4b93b.jpg

Attachment: 52.08 KB
eb1158314ea39adf994ba9cc3f0c1034.jpg

That's likely more appropriately called a dish hilt and yes, it's of an unusual form. Is it modern? Is it composite?
I've fluctuated between the dish and the cup, and went with the cup, because it's not as flat and wide as most dish hilts I've looked at. Blade is certainly period. Hilt, otoh, made me scratch me head.

Attachment: 30.25 KB
626b067195aa32d73374d3f954329728.jpg

I looked at that one myself. Good blade, but in my opinion, the guard is modern. The pommel looks OK, though.
--ElJay
It's an odd duck. and as Nathan wrote, is possibly and probably a composite. I don't know what to make of it...
Do you actually own this sword?
Isaac H. wrote:
Do you actually own this sword?

If I owned this sword, I would have taken better photos of it. :)
I saw it on eBay a few days ago.
I seen it on ebay too.It started out at $49 and I was watching it with a keen interest and a hope to add it to my collection.It then went out of my price range ....just out of curiosity I looked it up on my watch list to see the ending price.Would you believe $905? :eek: Yep.I guess somebody wanted it.

No thanks guys,I'd rather add an Albion (or two!) to my collection instead :lol:

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: