Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question about hilt style of a late type X sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Question about hilt style of a late type X sword         Reply with quote

In Oakshott's "Records", sword "X.14" is described as being a blade made circa 1125-1175 that was re-hilted in the mid 1200's. Based on period swords and artwork, what are some of the probable original hilt styles for this sword? I'm thinking about having a custom sword made around this blade but I would much prefer something closer to the original fittings than what is pictured here.

J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have wondered about that myself. Most likely some variant of the type 1 cross and a Brazil Nut A/B or a simple disc pommel G-I. that leave much to your imagination. In fact you could pretty much pick your favorite pommel and cross from any other X/Xa sword of that era to make your favorite combination, and who could say you were wrong?
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Personally I'd say that 1125-1175 would be slightly late for a brazil nut pommel (but not impossible) and a disk pommel would be more likely.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Hansen wrote:
Personally I'd say that 1125-1175 would be slightly late for a brazil nut pommel (but not impossible) and a disk pommel would be more likely.

Not at all- look at Types 7 through 12, which can all be found in the 12th century, in Geibig's Sword Typology: http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_geibig.html. Nearly all of them are some form of Brazil nut pommel or one of its close variants; none of them have a disk pommel. It depends entirely upon what kind of style you want.

I would say that a Type I crossguard from Oakeshott would be appropriate. Following Geibig's typology, I would say that a Type 15, 16.i, 16.ii, 17.i, 18, or 19 pommel would be appropriate, or a disk pommel, if you prefer.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question about hilt style of a late type X sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic