Custom Handmade Scabbard: Albion Dane 8-29-2010
Greetings to myArmoury!

I would like to share my latest scabbard for the Albion Dane. This one is another labor of love, with lot's of tooling, my favorite. :cool:

Featuring: 2.5 point suspension setup, no belt
Saddle-tan with dark mahogany
Custom handmade chape
Wool lined, custom fit (no drop) wood core
No blood spilled in the making :p

Please feel free to chime in with comments & questions, and thank you for looking!
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
The scabbard itself looks great, but I am a little indifferent to the use of the Latin Cross. Though the symbol itself is ancient in usage, I am not use to seeing it on weaponry/weapon related items from the 15th C. I would have personally went with something like a Bozeat or Jerusalem cross or a Germanic tatzenkreuz; which I can relate to more - but that is just my personal taste.

It looks really good though! I am sure the customer will be excited to add this custom work to their collection! :)
Thanks for the complimentary words, as always I appreciate it.

The Christian cross was a personal request from the client, and perhaps he will chime in to explain the usage. As for us scabbard maker's, we often are inclined to honor those request's ;)

While there is a lack of evidence of usage of said cross on 15th century swords and or scabbards, it is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance. :cool:
That's a damn big piece of leather. Used the whole length of the hide for that one? :) I have a Dane sitting here now that would be nice to have a simple scabbard for. Hm.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
That's a damn big piece of leather. Used the whole length of the hide for that one? :) I have a Dane sitting here now that would be nice to have a simple scabbard for. Hm.

It sure was. I barely had enough to cover it from tip to throat. I couldn't be very picky in leather selection either. Sewing up the back seemed like it took forever, too. :D
Well maybe it's getting predictable and repetitive but: Great work ....... as usual.
The first thing that pops into my mind seeing that is "how is it possible to draw a sword that big from a suspension like that?"

It looks like it's designed to hang from a sword belt, am I interpreting what I'm seeing correctly?
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Well maybe it's getting predictable and repetitive but: Great work ....... as usual.

As alway's, I appreciate your kind words Jean.

Al Muckart wrote:
The first thing that pops into my mind seeing that is "how is it possible to draw a sword that big from a suspension like that?"

It looks like it's designed to hang from a sword belt, am I interpreting what I'm seeing correctly?

Yes, it is a 2.5 point suspension that hang's from a belt. It is possible to draw, but rank's pretty high on the difficulty scale. I suggest some long arms :D

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: