ribbon hilt broadsword
hi , can anybody help with some measurements for beak nosed / snouted ribbon basket hilt sword ? i would like to know how thick the metal of the ribbons is / average size of basket / overall weight .....etc ...as i am getting one made and would like to get it as near as original / antique ones
beak-nosed ribbon-hilt basket-hilt sword
Hi Lyell
Here are the specs of a genuine 17thcent. ribbon hilt: weight 1.4kg (3lb 1.5oz), length o.a. 38", blade 32", blade width at hilt 1 7/8", basket 5 1/4"deep, 5 1/2" high (incl pommel), 4 1/2" wide. Ribbon thickness approx 1/16". Rear guard bars are thicker. Hope this is of use.
Neil
Hello Lyell,
I don't have any specs for you, but I have restored broken hilt members on two or three ribbon hilts back when I was doing antique restoration. The hilt members were pretty much about 1 mm or less thick, but all of the hilts I worked on had developed severe areas of pitting, and had seen some heavy cleaning in the past, so they weren't the weight that they were originally.

Neil's observation about the rearguards holds true: as I recall, some were about 1/8" thick, while one approached 1/4".

--ElJay

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: