Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Asking for input on production axes for this season. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 
Ken Speed

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to agree with William, that smaller axehead looks superb! I see it on a fairly long haft and I think it shouldn't be bright steel but darkened to a grey or very dark grey except for the very edge.
William P

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i hope its not actually small,thats a 2 handed viking axehead type, with a cutting edge 20cm long. its meant to be BIG.

although he did say he can scale it up to whatever size so im not worried.

and the shape is great overall, having that nice curve and that wickidly pointed horn, that would be a ferocious limb slicer
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew: Just a functionallity/strength of assembly question about the Bardiche pinned at the bottom versus the Bardiche using two sockets ? How strong are each when assembled compared to each other ?

The pinned at the bottom Bardiche probably depends more on the socket for most of it's " grip/hold " on the haft, but I assume the pinned bottom gives it a bit more stability than a large Danish axe depending on only it's socket.

It should be strong enough if well fitted and one uses a strong " nail " to fix the bottom of the Bardiche to the haft: The nail shouldn't be so large as to weaken the haft and might be clenched on the other side or short enough to not reach the other side.

The small blade extension in which the nail goes through might be inletted into the haft either half way or completely flush with the haft ...... easy enough to carve a good haft if using an oversized pole to have the material into which to inlet the extension.

I can also see plaining a flat on each side of an oversized haft and reducing it in diameter to fit the socket at the top.

One might leave the tail end of the haft round for it to bulge a bit for a secure grip.

Would probably use a 5' haft for a total length of 6' for a mounted Bardiche.

Sort of doing my DIY planning for when I buy the Bardiche from Kult of Athena later this week.

Although, I might wait for a double socketed version of a Bardiche ..... or eventually buy both. Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let me try to answer the questions here.

If ordered directly from us, you can choose scale and finish. At any of our dealers they will come satin finished as pictured. I can etch them to a grey or blacken them or polish them higher. There are tons of choices that we can do.

Jean, in my opinion both options for the bardiche work just as well. Some people don't like pinning the bottom tab. The thought behind that is that you are making the pole weaker by putting a hole in the shaft, but that option allows you to use a much larger shaft so it kind of evens out.

I am not sure if KOA wants the double socket version of the larger bardiche(type 1). If you request it they will order it from me though Happy

Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Stagmer wrote:

Jean, in my opinion both options for the bardiche work just as well. Some people don't like pinning the bottom tab. The thought behind that is that you are making the pole weaker by putting a hole in the shaft, but that option allows you to use a much larger shaft so it kind of evens out.

I am not sure if KOA wants the double socket version of the larger bardiche(type 1). If you request it they will order it from me though Happy

Sounds good as I have a source for a very oversized White Oak pole for the haft and can make it nice and fat. Wink

Will be ordering the bottom tab version Bardiche from Kult of Athena after the 18th of this month in a couple of days.

I might give it an antiqued campaign worn but well cared for patina like I did for my A&A English Bill.

I wonder if it was historically done to have a cord lashing around the bottom tab in addition to using a nail ? I know this would reinforce the shaft and might absorb some of the chock of heavy impacts ? Ambivalent about the aesthetics of adding some crd lashing ... but it would be easy enough to remove if I change my mind.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 18 Feb, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew: Well, I placed the order in at Kult of Athena last night, so I should have it in a week to 10 days.

Looking forward to mounting it on a haft and taking pics with a short review of it.

Randy W

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,

Would it be possible for you to post a picture with the cording in place? Would you be using rawhide? or ?????

Thanks,

Randy

Randy Westgate
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randy W wrote:
Jean,

Would it be possible for you to post a picture with the cording in place? Would you be using rawhide? or ?????

Thanks,

Randy

No idea yet if I will add a cord binding but if I do it might be jute cord and soaked/wetted with white wood glue ( The kind that dries waterproof ).

I would probably be limited to an inch above and an inch below the tad and overlapping the tab.

Glued cord I have used for DIY projects for decades now for appropriate projects: Works for reinforcing hafts of polearms and axes just below the sockets. Also one could use this method to build up a cord handle over a full tang tactical sword or knife.

Leather cord I might use for decorative purposes maybe on a walking staff. Oh, and one can create interesting patterns of cord by controlling spacing and have cord almost braided over a haft or handle.

I don't have or haven't looked for a local source of rawhide but if wetted when binding I think it shrinks and gets very tight and could be an interesting option. Wink Question I guess I could find some big rawhide dog chew and wet it, roll it open into a sheet and cut it in narrow strips ?

Obviously, I have to first get the Bardiche and haft before I put it all together and take pics. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Randy W

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean - thanks, I was not picturing it, that makes it much clearer
Randy Westgate
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 29 Feb, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just got the Bardiche in the mail half an hour ago and here is just observations after unpacking the axe. I will be mounting the head in the next few days on a haft and I will them take some pics and give more details.

But just as a teaser, I like what I see: The axe eye is very robust and curves into the body of the axe head in a nice way.

The tab also looks robust and the part of the axe leading to the tab also.

Out of the box there is a narrow secondary bevel and the edge is very sharp.

The finish is a nice brushed finish without any deep scratch marks or modern tool marks: I may decide to age the finish or just leave it as is for the moment as it's not an overly polished mirror finish I wouldn't have liked.

The piece is quite large and scary impressive.

I'll get into more details in an informal review Topic later, but if all the BKS axe heads are of this quality I would recommend them highly. Big Grin Cool ( My first purchase of a BKS product and I'm very happy with it ).

Shipping and customer service from Kult of Athena was their usual efficient AAAA+ customer service. Big Grin Happy

Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a new square socket and langet design that is available on all pole arms if requested. Seen here on a Battle of the Nations Halberd.

Once again the wood slats are 12" wide. Just to give you an idea of size.

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting Halberd: I assume that sharp versions or variants are also available where one doesn't want blunted and rounded points and edges for safety reasons.

I assume that these can be sold mounted on a haft or can be purchased for a DIY hafting: Would you also make available period looking mounting nails with each head ? ( With a couple of extra ones in case of a screw up. Wink Laughing Out Loud )

By the way I finished mounting the Bardiche but still oil finishing the haft and should be taking pics of the assembled Bardiche and posting a review soon.

Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes sir. This and every design that we make for BotN and other live steel groups is drawn with the points first, so we have both patterns.

We can do nails and hafts if requested. Also there are piercings choices or lack of one.

I am looking forward to seeing the Bardiche mounted.

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 19 Mar, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A couple more BotN pole weapons.

We have gone to oval sockets for all the single socketed axes now. Seems much stronger!

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mounted Bardiche a few pic as a " teaser ": I took many more pics from different angles and will post those with a review I first have to write.

NOTE: I may later do some pattination ( Campaign aged finish like on my A&A English Bill ) on the blade and socket, not sure yet, also some surface scuff marks are Renaissance wax not perfectly buffed.

The haft also need many more applications of hand rubbed boiled linseed oil to bring out the wood grain.

Also found a very strait grained Ash pole to use as an haft of 1 3/8" diameter ( Nominal diameter as marked at the wood lot but actually slightly smaller in actual diameter, but it fit perfectly with no need to reduce the diameter of the pole or have to find a way to secure a too small diameter pole ).

Very happy with it. Big Grin Cool

Attachment: 92.26 KB
B axe01.JPG
Total length 66", more stats when I write the Review later this week.

Attachment: 75.86 KB
B axe05.JPG
My hand in shot gives an idea of scale.

Attachment: 121.22 KB
B axe20.JPG
Close up of whole head.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew, additional question(s) about the Bardiche but could be also for most polearms: I would suggest that making butt caps or butt spikes for the Bardiche that are historically credible would be interesting and I would probably be interested in getting these for my polearms and might also use some for my personal walking stick DIY projects.

I can certainly use butt caps made by Windlass for some of their spears but in many cases it would be better to use styles compatible with a specific period weapon.

William P

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Stagmer wrote:

This is a new square socket and langet design that is available on all pole arms if requested. Seen here on a Battle of the Nations Halberd.

Once again the wood slats are 12" wide. Just to give you an idea of size.

my initial reaction to those halberds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2yJ-VaMDYs (Helloooooo nurse)

also second the idea of adding butt spikes to the bardiche, since it was used quite frequently as the pretty much offical musket rest by russian streletsky
Larry Bohnham

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You probably have several of these in your design repository, so forgive me if I am covering old ground. Personally, I'd like to see a really nice fancisca that is properly weighted and throws well.
"No athlete can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows; he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack under the fist of his adversary..."
Roger of Hoveden, d.1201

a furore Normannorum libera nos Domine

"Henry, get down off that horse with that sword, you'll put someone's eye out!" Mrs. Bolingbroke's advice to her son, Henry, on the eve of the battle of Agincourt
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh heck yea! I like those. I made a few of them years ago, but I actually don't have a pattern. I will get right on that. Did you have a historical example that you wanted to see or should I just find one I like and work from there?
Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Lolke Stelwagen

PostPosted: Fri 05 Apr, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johan Gemvik wrote:
Josh MacNeil wrote:
I know that myself, as well as other forumites, are partial to Viking patterns.

I've always loved this particular axe...

Me too, I made a replica of it out of a modern broad blade axehead by stock removal, but it would be great if someone made them finished.
Also note the fuller, very important and often overlooked in modern made viking axes. Not all had them but most that seem made for war. I find it makes them more agile while retaining much of the power in the cut and they are able to cut deeper. The seemingly amputated lower horn on this head makes for a perfect angle to penetrate helmet tops, so a bit of viking age high tech weaponry right there.

This week, an exact same axe was found at a former branch of the Rhine at the place Vleuten in the Netherlands. Along with a frame of a vikingship rib called a Knarr.

Images can be found http://www.nifterlaca.nl/read.php?3,20914:

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Asking for input on production axes for this season.
Page 6 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: