Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Takeover of the renn fair by myArmoury! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Andreas Auer

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We in Austria dont use Peace-ties...but we are not allowed Sharps...(Fairs as any other festival are considered a public event and therefor are no weapons allowed..(and a sharp IS a Weapon in Austrian Law) )so sharps in Austria only for a anounced demonstration for a lets say cutting Test. We as Reenactors get kontrolled more often by our Policemen, not because of enforcing the Law but plain curiosity...:-)

We donīt use ties for blunts and wasters, but only thing you have to take care of are the Guys with their Kilts on and their Claymore on the back...:-)

And YES taking over a Fair and converting these Vikings would be a good Idea.

Andreas

The secret is,
to keep that pointy end thingy away from you...
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 25 Aug, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I lived in Minnesota for a few years and even bought my first A&A there (an Oakeshott Sword). I like the MN faire, it was an enjoyable experience and we went frequently. I even used to carry my German Shepherd - which was really cool. The MN faire was not nearly as bad as the faires down here have gotten.

I always peace-tie. Some faires are strict, and other events don't seem to care. My fear is that someone would yank my blade free of the scabbard. I rig a 1/2" latigo strap with a small buckle though the back of my suspension that holds the sword in place. It's not even noticable because I dye the latigo to match the grip of whichever sword I am carrying. It simply looks like a larger riser near the guard of the blade.

I've seen people whip out sharps and brandish them here and there. I once see a guy take out a sharp and trip over a block while trying to pose for a picture. He nearly skewered his girlfriend. I've seen people wrestling to get swords out of back-hangers and ending up cutting themselves or nearly cutting someone else. Anytime I see something like this, I say something about it. I don't want anyone getting hurt or messing up the ability for people to carry swords to faires.

However, I'd not have a problem if they banned sharps at Ren Faires in the US. Something bad will eventually happen - which is why ALL weapons are banned at some faires. There are a huge number of nice looking blunts that can be re-gripped and have period scabbards made that would look just as nice and be safer. Happy

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Sean O Stevens

PostPosted: Wed 25 Aug, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been to RenFaires in California, Georgia and North Carolina and never seen any issues with weapons. No one whiped out a sword or dagger or did anything with a blade that I have seen in nearly 20 years. I've only recently, in this last year, even heard any stories of that happening.

I wouldn't go to a Faire that didn't allow weapons... at least part of the fun for me is getting a chance to ware one of my swords. Can't do that often. Happy

I think it would be a shame if they only allowed blunts... then I wouldn't be able to take my nicer swords.
T Franks

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Bristol ren faire by me allows peace tied swords. I was curious about their spear policy though, so I e-mailed them. They informed me that spears must be peace tied to the body. Forgive me if this sounds like a silly question, but how do you peace tie a spear to your body?
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

T Franks wrote:
The Bristol ren faire by me allows peace tied swords. I was curious about their spear policy though, so I e-mailed them. They informed me that spears must be peace tied to the body. Forgive me if this sounds like a silly question, but how do you peace tie a spear to your body?

It is not a silly question as their answer is .. weird. The most "logical" thing I can think of is to tie a lanyard around your wrist and to the haft. Although I'm trying to shake a much more "blue" visual in my head. Eek!

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
T Franks

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hrouda wrote:
T Franks wrote:

It is not a silly question as their answer is .. weird. The most "logical" thing I can think of is to tie a lanyard around your wrist and to the haft. Although I'm trying to shake a much more "blue" visual in my head. Eek!

Thanks Scott, it's not just me then Laughing Out Loud . I thought I would get a more detailed response. For example, I thought they would let me know if it needed to be blunt, etc. Looks like I'll have to shoot em' another E-mail about that, as their response seemed rather vague to me.
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ask if you can just cover the edges - kind of like on the Hanwei axes. You might want to run that by them to see if it will fly - it would be a good alternative - if they allowed it. I have friends that have done this quite a few times and have gotten in just fine to events around here. I've even made a few of them myself.

Calling or emailing them is always going to get a blanket response. I'd just show up and see if the gypsy working the gate let it slide or not. I know around here, one day, you will see people walking around with unsheathed blunted claymores over their shoulder, polearms, and such all over the place. On other days, they are more strict with the rules - so just like in a good fight, luck has to be factored into the equations as well. Laughing Out Loud

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Gregg wrote:
I was under the impression that no weapons were allowed at the Maryland Ren Faire. Has this changed? I tend to avoid weapons-unfriendly faires. Worried

Yes, MDRF disallows weapons of any kind, including peace-tie, or props. Having said that, they've relaxed a little on the latter. If you bring in a hilt glued into a scabbard as a costume piece, they sort of frown at you, but let you pass. Occasionally I see folks who managed to sneak past security with unsecured sharps, but I'm not advocating breaking the rules of course.

During Maryland's run, I'm there usually about half to two-thirds of the season.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Takeover of the renn fair by myArmoury!
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: