Go to page 1, 2  Next

A&A Custom X.13 from 'Records'
A while back there was a thread called 'your favorite sword in Records'. My pick was X.13

This sword, housed (at least at that time) at the Landesmsuem Zurich, is dated to 1100 or earlier. It has a very wide type A (Brazil nut) pommel, a very wide type 1 cross, and a rather wide type X blade and fuller (see picture below). Everything wide, in perfect proporition and symmetry. Combined with a fairly long 34" blade, this makes for a big one-hand sword, built for a strong and skilled warrior. The find place is unknown - but given the style, it was most likely to come from central or eastern Europe. [Edit: I forgot to mention that this is an INGELRII sword!]

One can easily imagine swords like this in use during the big events of the 11the century, from the battle of Hastings to the first crusade. It hails back to the days when the best armed knights wore mail, and the sword was still a primary tool of the battlefield, having grown to suit the needs of cavalry warfare. Between its 'status symbol' phase in the Viking era, and its side-arm phase in later medieval times, European swords of this period were all about function, combined with simple Christian imagery. I find these swords to be beautiful in their simplicity, and Oakeshott called this particular sword 'an abolultely classic example of a type X '.

But enough rhapsodizing. There doesn't seem to be a production version of this sword available, so last year I decided to comission Arms and Armor to reproduce this sword. Craig at A&A has been on top of this project and it looks like things are nearly done. I have the first few photos and will start posting them over the next week or two. Enjoy!

Regards, JD

Attachment: 12.36 KB
X.13 from Oakeshott's 'Records of the Medieval Sword' [ Download ]

Last edited by J.D. Crawford on Sun 22 Aug, 2010 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lucky you! I'm looking forward to the pics, I know what a great job Craig and the guys at A&A can do.
OK, first picture (courtesy of Craig at A&A). Unfinished blade and cross with beginnings of pommel design....more to come when I'm home again.

Attachment: 47.33 KB
DChiltwk01.jpg

These pics show the progression of the pommel. Hoping to have full-sword pics (not to mention the actual sword!) soon.

Attachment: 30.52 KB
DChiltwkP03.jpg

Attachment: 46.64 KB
DChiltwkP07.jpg

Attachment: 84.85 KB
DChiltwk12.jpg

Looking realy good! Can't wait to see some full pics.
Perfect First Crusade sword! This will turn out great!
I'm excited to see this one come together!
I'm very happy for you. You must be chomping at the bit!
I really enjoy viewing the progress photos as it helps me understand how various components are designed, constructed, and assembled. Thank you for posting.
Scott Hrouda wrote:
I'm very happy for you. You must be chomping at the bit!
I really enjoy viewing the progress photos as it helps me understand how various components are designed, constructed, and assembled. Thank you for posting.

Thanks, I'm chomping at the bit alright! This is my first from-the-ground-up custom job to make it this far. If all goes well, it should be done tomorrow. Here are some more development shots; Craig just sent them yesterday.

Attachment: 57.48 KB
DCPGF02.jpg

Attachment: 65.14 KB
DCPGF07.jpg

Attachment: 179.03 KB
DCHiltFr03.jpg

Attachment: 97.49 KB
[ Download ]
I've got to say that seeing these makes me want to call Craig and order the same for myself. I LOVE the brazil nut. The slight ridge is such a great touch. I've never noticed it in photos but now that I have I can't stop noticing it! Great, great stuff from the guys over at A&A as usual. I really can't wait to see the finished product.

By the way, I see that it isn't peened. Will the tang be peened or threaded... (please say peened!)
Tim Lison wrote:
I've got to say that seeing these makes me want to call Craig and order the same for myself.

Heh, heh, I had similar thoughts about your AA custom XI with the curved cross!

Tim Lison wrote:
I LOVE the brazil nut. The slight ridge is such a great touch. I've never noticed it in photos but now that I have I can't stop noticing it! Great, great stuff from the guys over at A&A as usual. I really can't wait to see the finished product.

I had the same reaction with the pommel - never noticed that apparent ridge until I saw Craig's blown-up picture. We talked about this, and compared it to one of the sword effiges in Naumburg Cathedral. He thinks the lighting exaggerates the ridge in the picture from Oakeshott, so he has kept the ridge on his pommel subtle and rounded.

Tim Lison wrote:
By the way, I see that it isn't peened. Will the tang be peened or threaded... (please say peened!)

...yet, in these pictures. I never thought to ask, just assumed it would be peened like the more recent St. Maurice models (I had an older one for a while that was threaded and replaced it with one that is peened). But from the looks of the way the tang inserts into the pommel on the handle side, I should think it would have to be peened, right Craig? :)
Hey Guys
Yes it is peened. :) Doug check your email and you will have a pic of the piece before the leather went on.

Best
Craig
Getting very close...

Attachment: 67.49 KB
DChiltF09.jpg

I may be wrong but the fuller looks a tad deeper than what is most commonly seen on type X's- if so this is a definite positive in my book- giving some real individuality to the blade.
Fuller Depth
Hi Jeremy

I would say the fuller is well defined but not super deep. The pic has a tendency to enhance its depth with the way the light is breaking. I would say it is not an early Type X. This sword seems to me to tend a touch later in style than your average Brazil nut X.

Craig
That's shaping up to be a beautiful sword! I love seeing these in-progress photos of swords being made. Someday I hope to commission a custom sword from the folks at A&A. I've been very impressed with their custom swords lately.
Here's the penultimate shot - right after unwrapping the grip. Apparently the grip was still a bit wet. The flash makes it look brighter; its actually a deep mottled brown. One can also see the beautiful semi-mirror finnish on the steel - one of the things I like about A&A products. I just spoke with Craig; he will send the final photos and specs later - they should be up here by tomorrow. -JD

Attachment: 116.83 KB
[ Download ]
Dang. That looks nice. I like the grip treatment and bet it feels great. The blade, however, is the standout here.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
The blade, however, is the standout here.

Very true. That is an exceptional piece of steel.
There should be some photos of the sword, I hope aid.
It is a sword that I really like.

here
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: