Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > EBE South German Longsword, 2010 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
John O'Connor

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful sword. How does it handed with the complex guard? I mean shifting grips, etc.

Thanks

John O'Connor
Forte Swordplay: Medieval Longsword and Historical European Martial arts in the Greater Boston area
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 24 Apr, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John O'Connor wrote:
Beautiful sword. How does it handed with the complex guard? I mean shifting grips, etc.

I've been meaning to photograph the hilt in the hand, but have not had time to properly set up for a shot like that. It' snot as easy to shoot a photo of myself with both hands gripping a sword and no assistant!

Attached are photographs of an antique sword with a similar hilt that have been sent to me recently. As you can see, the sword is of hand-and-a-half proportions and allows about as much flexibility as any compound-hilted longsword would. As with other longswords, the thumb can be used on the quillon block as well as used to grasp the thumb-ring.

Attachment: 116.19 KB
Reitschwert_Carl-Koppeschaar001.jpg
Photo Copyright © Carl Koppeschaar

Attachment: 122.29 KB
Reitschwert_Carl-Koppeschaar002.jpg
Photo Copyright © Carl Koppeschaar

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic Nathan.
Éirinn go Brách
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To give a better impression of the sword's size, here are some snapshots of it with these other pieces:

Phoenix Metal Creations Hand-and-a-Half Sword
Arms & Armor Custom Swiss Saber
Arms & Armor Custom German Bastard Sword

Click photos for full-sized versions

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Wesley Nilsen

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: EBE South German Longsword         Reply with quote

Actually this is not a longsword. A longsword has a double-edged blade, and actually if this had a double-edged blade it would be a side-sword. Since it is single-edged, it is a backsword. Trust me - I've studied day and night (literally) and learned to classify almost every sword there is, and written an encyclopedia of swords.
Jorvock Darken, Black Guardlord

"O great glory and splendour! And all my wishes have come true!"
-Samwise Gamgee

"Hoom."
-Treebeard
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It certainly IS a longsword.

http://wallacelive.wallacecollection.org/eMus...detailView

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: EBE South German Longsword         Reply with quote

Wesley Nilsen wrote:
Actually this is not a longsword. A longsword has a double-edged blade, and actually if this had a double-edged blade it would be a side-sword. Since it is single-edged, it is a backsword. Trust me - I've studied day and night (literally) and learned to classify almost every sword there is, and written an encyclopedia of swords.

Wesley, with all due respect, I think you'll find that the historical view of terminology was not nearly so cut and dry as the modern view. (and you'll find that there are plenty of people on this board who are quite the experts of etymology!) For example, there's technically no such thing as a "sidesword" (spada da lato), as this is a modern term that was invented based on a misunderstanding of a phrase from Marozzo (where he mentions a generic sword at the side, but was misinterpreted to mean a specific type of sword). The Italians of the time never used that term, but instead used either the word "spada" (sword) or occassionally "spada da filo" (edge sword).

And the historical definition of longsword does not have anything to do with how many edges the weapon has. In fact, the historical definition, by all accounts, seems to only require that a longsword should be [unsurprisingly] long. Some historical references define a longsword as a single handed weapon (such as George Silver's 16th century treatise on martial arts), so we really can't generalize too much without accepting the fact that we would be imposing modern definitions on historical items.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > EBE South German Longsword, 2010
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: