For Sale or Trade: Italian Cut & Thrust
This listing is marked SOLD and is no longer available

Here's an interesting project I'd like to pass along to make some room and fund new work.

This piece is in the spirit of Italian swords of the 16th century. I looked at everything from Carpaccio to Caravaggio but it's not based on any particular example. It's just a good, all-purpose "cut & thrust" sword appropriate for pretty much the entire century and multiple cultures (the Caravaggio detail, with sword at lower left corner, is 1601--the other images are early 16th c.) It'd make a nice pairing with a dagger or buckler. Could be civilian or military, as it's a strong, stiff blade.

This weapon is composed of a modified Hanwei-Tinker longsword blade, modified Alchem pommel and a modifed Windlass guard (note the casting pit in one arm of the guard). It's a fun piece--quick and well balanced, with a very pleasing blade presence.

The blade is as sharp as the A&A Town Guard shown here for scale (and this sword is slightly rebated from the crazy-sharp original H-T edge). I don’t cut with my swords, but the blade clearly was designed as a fully functional weapon. The construction is much better than Windlass, and includes JB Weld on all parts as well as a peened pommel. Beyond that, it's anybody's guess how this would perform against historically appropriate targets. It displays well and would also look wonderful with a good Renaissance living history kit.

Stats:
Overall length: 41", Silver's "perfect" length for me at 6'1"
Blade length: 35"
Point of Balance: 4.25" below guard
Center of Percussion: 22.75" below guard
Blade width at guard: 2"
Blade width at COP: 1"
Guard width: 8"
Weight: I have only an analog bathroom scale, but that tells me approx. 2.25 lbs.

I'm asking $300 USD, including shipping in CONUS. Paypal preferred (no additional charge). I'm a sucker for trades, so don't hesitate to offer. I'm especially interested in a decent quality late 15th/early 16th c. breast w/fauld (the Windlass cuirass is probably the minimum standard there). I love good sallets, esp. deep German examples. German swords of all description--messers, longswords, Katzbalgers….if you have something of greater value that sparks my interest I would consider adding cash as well. I'm also willing to accept trade+cash deals for the piece.

Inquire by PM.

Attachment: 73.21 KB
download-3.gif

Attachment: 141.96 KB
download-4.gif

Attachment: 111.7 KB
download-5.gif

Attachment: 168.42 KB
download-6.gif

Attachment: 188.54 KB
download-7.gif

Attachment: 209.7 KB
download-8.gif

Attachment: 115.29 KB
caravaggio.gif

Attachment: 173.58 KB
download-2.gif

A couple more the "inspiration" images:

Attachment: 81.82 KB
download-1.gif

One more:

Attachment: 172.19 KB
download.gif

First and final price drop: $250 shipped in CONUS. All trades mentioned above still welcome.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: