Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Opinions about Cold Steel pole axe vs. M48 Hammer? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dustin Faulkner

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 16 May, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Opinions about Cold Steel pole axe vs. M48 Hammer?         Reply with quote

Hello:

I was wondering what you guys think about the reissued Cold Steel pole axe. It looks vicious. I wonder why a top spike was not included. Would it be hard to mount one? I can't decide between it or the United Cutlery M48 Survival Hammer. I suppose the appeal is that both cost so much less than an authentic replica polearm.

The pole axe is longer. It's just over 6 feet long with an axe head and a hammer head. The M48 hammer is just over 3 feet long, but is perhaps easier to handle. It has a rear spike and a hammer head. It seems like you get more weapon for your money with the Cold Steel pole axe, but I like how the M48 hammer is made of a modern fiberglass/nylon kind of material many new axe handles use today - very strong and rust proof. The M48 seems more like a modern Italian war hammer.

I simply can't decide between the two guys. The M48 hammer costs only $6 -$10 less. It allows you to crush and puncture. The pole axe allows you to chop, slice, and crush. Perhaps one factor to consider is I am short - I am 5' 4" tall. So ... I don't want people to think I have any Freudian issues walking with a weapon that's half a foot taller than me! :-)

I am dealing with my own ignorance of real pole arm use, and the fact that both look really cool. After all, can we have too many polearms? Man ... there's still the AA Hungarian axe too! Oh ... if only I had full-time work now.

DUSTIN FAULKNER
Alan Schiff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 16 May, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Personally I would go for the pole axe. I've got one, and it's a beast, very hardy. If you're worried about the weight and/or size you can always cut down the haft to make it shorter. I did that myself, so it's 54 inches now instead of 72.

The UC hammer worries me a bit as the head doesn't go onto the haft. Rather there is a thinner tang that is mounted in the haft. With the kind of force it hits with I'd be worried that it would snap off at some point.

Hope that helps,
Alan
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 17 May, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, Dustin......Hello from a fellow Texan and a member of the 'vertically challenged' club---I'm only 5'6". Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud I'd go with the CS poleaxe. I had one years ago, and have since sold it and often regret doing so. I cut the handle down a bit, stained the wood, added brass tacks for grip, and polished the head and langettes on mine. It made for a 'striking' weapon...pardon the pun. Big Grin Mine was just about head high to me and very 'right' in the hand. I wish I had a photo to give. With the M48, you just don't have a lot of option room. They are tough weapons...I've handled one...But I just prefer something more antique looking. That's just me though. Go for the CS! You'll like it!!!.......McM

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Opinions about Cold Steel pole axe vs. M48 Hammer?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic