Go to page 1, 2  Next

Show Us Your ballock daggers
(I made sure to add the final word in the title to keep this thread from being something other than what I intended) :)

We have threads covering shields, helmets, kits, etc. How about one showing ballock daggers from people's collections?

Here is what I own or have owned:

15th century Flemish(?) ballock dagger replica by Arma Bohemia

[ Linked Image ]

Ballock dagger by Vince Evans that I used to own

[ Linked Image ]

I used to have a ballock dagger by Al Massey, but it was pretty crude and I'd have to dig up photos on it.

I also have a very ballock-dagger influenced Scottish dirk, but that's a subject for another thread. :)
Here is a ballock dagger made by Tod's Stuff based on an eary 16th century piece. The slender sharply tapering blade of flattened diamond-section changes to a recessed tapering ricasso of flattened-hexagonal section. The grip is elm wood and is mounted with brass fittings.

Attachment: 28.63 KB
tod_low_countries_ballock.jpg
Tod's Stuff "Low Countries" ballock dagger
I forgot I used to own one of these, too:

Kris Cutlery ballock dagger
[ Linked Image ]
Well I have this one by John Gage that was reviewd here on " myArmoury ":
http://www.myArmoury.com/review_gage_cocbal.html

[ Linked Image ]

In any case it is a very nice ballock dagger although it's more " abstract " than as " graphically " anatomical than many ballock daggers.
Well, my own humble piece, but still one of my favourites. Made by the English Cutler, Tod.

Attachment: 31.39 KB
Ballock 1.jpg

Attachment: 78.27 KB
BAllock 2.jpg

A copy of Mary Rose ballock dagger MR81A1290, with a blade copied from an example in the Royal Armouries, Leeds.

Made by Tod:

Show us your ballock daggers
Here's mine. 1450-1550 from Tod's Stuff. One of his "less than perfect" sale items. Stiff triangular blade with brass and ebony fittings. This is my everyday carry knife at renfairs and one of my all time favorites. If anyone wants, I'll try to get a better picture, but it's identical to the one on his site. W

Attachment: 115.47 KB
Tod's Ballock.JPG

More Tod...

This is my working knife. I commissioned this knife from Tod for archery purposes I needed something robust for digging arrows out of trees, etc. This is not a 'style' knife, it's a tool.

The design is based (approximately) on one from the Luttrell Psalter (mid-14thC).

The blade in only 7" long, but 5/16" (8mm) thick. Hilt is Box.

Here's some crappy pictures of my homemade ballock dagger that I made a couple of years back. The blade was from an old dagger (probably a Solingen judging from the look of it before disassembly) but I have carved the handle myself. Nice little peice that fits nicely behind my beltpurse!

Attachment: 37.5 KB
Allabilder2.jpg

Here's mine, made by Tod. It's loosely based on the well-known Wallace ballock dagger. The handle is ebony and the fittings are silver with a gold accent. I love it, especially with my purse and belt in the same style.

Thanks for posting these everyone. It's interesting to see the variety of shapes, sizes, and decorations in this form.

Keep those pictures coming!
Here's my latest, also an English Cutler ballock dagger, though with a beech grip:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
A study in contrasts. :) Here are two 15th century ballock daggers. Both are historically sized and styled.

Not quite peas in a pod.... :)

Attachment: 55.96 KB
Contrasts 1.jpg

Attachment: 65.77 KB
Contrasts 2.jpg

Attachment: 51.34 KB
Contrasts 3.jpg

Please share more stuff!

Here's my ballock dagger by Tod's Stuff based on a 1450 example located in the Rothenburg Collection. You can read more about it and see the original on which it is based in my introduction topic.

[ Linked Image ] [ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ] [ Linked Image ]
Latest addition, with its older (skinnier) sibling.

Attachment: 101.15 KB
ballocks2.jpg

Attachment: 86.32 KB
ballocks1.jpg

Attachment: 51.91 KB
ballocks3.jpg

Lookin' good!
Group shots of my 2 ballock daggers. Both are 15th century in style, though the blades are very different, as are the hilt proportions.

Attachment: 32.59 KB
ballocks15-1.jpg

Attachment: 56.51 KB
ballocks15-2.jpg

Attachment: 31.11 KB
ballocks15-3.jpg

Attachment: 40.5 KB
ballocks15-4.jpg

From a re-enactors market
Just a cheap and cheerful one picked up at a re-enactors market.
Sold blunt so I added the edges but I am a sucker for pattern welded blades :)

Attachment: 145.15 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 158.71 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 122.28 KB
[ Download ]
Tod's Stuff bollock dagger
Made for a "low class" person
Short, stout, single-edged blade for the working man
Simple "low class" sheath decoration and hilt

Attachment: 93.3 KB
IMGP9513.JPG

Cheap and cheerful pattern welded example. Bought from a stall at the Bosworth Field re-enactment.

Attachment: 416.97 KB
phone_20151115_081711s.jpg

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: