Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cape project for some Rapier and Cape fencing Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Treichel wrote:
Sander Marechal wrote:
This is what I am going to use for my girlfriend's cape. She's allergic to real wool. The only downside is that fleece is really light and doesn't drape and flow the way real wool does. I'm hoping to solve this by adding a linen liner to make it heavier.

You really don't wnat to use fleece. You could make a really nice cape out of brocade.

Not for our characters unfortunately, 1250-ish Hospitallers. We need to appear poor, so no decoration allowed. Black wool cloaks were standard-issue Hospitaller clothing.
Steven H

PostPosted: Mon 16 Aug, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Treichel wrote:
Cheaply felted? The only felted wool blankets I have ever seen have been from Kyrgistan and you could almost consider them carpets. Unless your referring to that polyester felt which doesn't count.

The average wool blanket you will find at thrift stores will either be old army blankets which are woven or say a sears blanket from the 50s which are also woven both should have a tag that will give you the fabric contents... If you find one that says Hudson Bay I would not cut it up. Both will be plenty strong. The exception to this will be the poly wool blankets from the 70's through present which are mostly polyester junk. If you have any doubt about the consistency of cloth... these days Jo-Ann Fabrics rarely sells 100% wool... Hancock still does but in both cases I would grab a few threads and go outside to test them with a lighter... if it melts, it has plastic in it and is no good.

I'm glad that you've had better experiences than I. I've bought several Army Surplus wool blankets and could pull them apart with my hands if I tried hard.

I simply advise the buyer to be aware of the possibilities.

Cheers,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cape project for some Rapier and Cape fencing
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: