Dog Days Photo Contest
Christian Fletcher is pleased to announce the opening of the annual Dog Days Photo Contest. Submit photos featuring a sword now through August 31st for a chance to win one of two prizes.
Time to charge up that digital camera!
Ooo the 2nd reason I like August!

P.S. When did the Castille become a XII?
Vote for your favourite. :)

Just klick "Like" and you vote.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=20751&a...4695522012
Is there a way for people without Facebook to vote?
o man. i did not partizipate in the contest, but thats not fair.
all vote for the girl with the longsword. ok, there`s some magic about girls and girls with swords even more so..... but....
well. w`re just man aren`t we
I guess i'm the girl.. ;)
Don't worry, many who voted are my friends because i posted a link on my FB and because i was going on and on about the competition and the sword, i did however tell them to vote for others aswell if they like the photos..i mean that's the point otherwise it just comes down to whoever markets him/herself better...besides there is an 8-9 hour difference between my country and Idaho so i have 8 hour advantage..
i think there are many beautyful and interesting photos and it will not be an easy win for anyone(girl or not)..i myself love the man in black armour whith the white lion on it..
anyway this is my first post here aswell so "Hello" :D
Hello Lea! :D Nice to meet somebody from Slovenia here. And even somebody I know! ;) Now to that voting...
:D welcome.

honestly i could not resist and voted for you too.
Lea Zavodnik wrote:
I guess i'm the girl.. ;)
Don't worry, many who voted are my friends because i posted a link on my FB and because i was going on and on about the competition and the sword, i did however tell them to vote for others aswell if they like the photos..i mean that's the point otherwise it just comes down to whoever markets him/herself better...besides there is an 8-9 hour difference between my country and Idaho so i have 8 hour advantage..
i think there are many beautyful and interesting photos and it will not be an easy win for anyone(girl or not)..i myself love the man in black armour whith the white lion on it..
anyway this is my first post here aswell so "Hello" :D

Hello my sweet,
I am the "Man in Black," as you call me. However, the lion you refer to is silver with red tongue and claws, not white, although the lions on the shield are indeed white. That's because metallic paints were not available back then, but gold and silver thread was. So silver was always painted as white, and gold was painted as yellow.
I myself have no expectation of winning this contest, I only entered for fun. Besides, I have enough swords for now. But you are worthy of the prize, as others have said. As for me, your admiration (if I may be so bold) is prize enough. Good fortune to you, my Slovenian beauty.
Lesson on heraldry learnt:) though i was under the impression that in some cases white can be regarded as a colour different from silver..(altough i admit my knowledge in this particular field is rather insignificant).Any special reason for the red tounge and claws?
Wish i was able to say i have enough swords, i only have one, two if i count my broken hanwei.Most of my saved money goes for swordfighting seminars(Dijon and Vienna) so i can hardly wait to finish college and get a real job..and some new swords:)
Thank you kindly dear sir with an argent lion on a sable background.
Lea Zavodnik wrote:
Lesson on heraldry learnt:) though i was under the impression that in some cases white can be regarded as a colour different from silver..(altough i admit my knowledge in this particular field is rather insignificant).Any special reason for the red tounge and claws?
Wish i was able to say i have enough swords, i only have one, two if i count my broken hanwei.Most of my saved money goes for swordfighting seminars(Dijon and Vienna) so i can hardly wait to finish college and get a real job..and some new swords:)
Thank you kindly dear sir with an argent lion on a sable background.

I do believe you are correct, white was used for white and yellow was used for yellow. But since metallic paints were unavailable, they had to substitute SOMETHING, so I guess that white and yellow came closest to silver and gold.
No particular reason for the red tongue and claws at least as far as I know, outside of what the colors may stand for in heraldry. It is the RAINES coat of arms, on my father's side, so I used it for this. There's a whole story behind it, but I won't bore you with that.
Perhaps I misspoke-one can never really have ENOUGH swords, but my thirst is relatively slaked for the moment. I suppose that's a more accurate statement. I lust for other weapons sometimes and get distracted. Besides I have a scabbard under construction at the moment, so my eye's on that right now.
So fare thee well, fierce foreign maid. May fortune smile upon you.
Congratulations t lea for winning the Dog Days photography contest.

It seems like entries were not as many as there have been in the past but it is always fun to see the personal additions and compositions. I hope that some recognized the Stooges wires in the plumbing skit. It was just a single frame of a possible future series of comic adventures with eagle pommel swords as players.

Cheers

GC

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: