Bronze Age Shaped Leaf Sword
Recently we got a neat commission from the Luna brothers who are comic book creators. They asked as to make the signature sword from their popular comic book series "The Sword". In general shape and design the sword is a Bronze Age leaf sword, however in the comic book it was all steel and scaled way up. This was a budgeted project but I think it turned out great.

Here is the sword we made for them. The blade is 3/16". I hand ground the diamond cross section. It was quite the task to get a crisp center ridge on such a wide blade.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Here is a cover shot and the picture that we worked from.

[ Linked Image ]

For more pictures, videos and information on this sword and the comic please see our site. http://baltimoreknife.com/lunasword.htm
So how big is that thing ! From the drawing it would seem rather huge unless the girl in the picture is very small ?

Very interesting in any case. :cool:

I guess with a bigger budget it could be more ornate or add the numerous shallow and narrow fullers or ridges one sees in bronze blades.

Heat treated and functional ?
That's about as close to the illustration as possible. That's a great delivery on their commission! Well done.
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Heat treated and functional ?

Yes it is heat treated and functional. Infact I have a video of heat treating it and a few of my grinding it. If you look at the pictures on the website there is one of my diamond grinding it and you can see the black scale all over the blade from the HT. It was sharp but I took it back a few steps for saftey since it would be handled by a lot of fans. The Luna brothers had a picture area for the fans to pose with it and make there own comic book cover. Neat idea!

Even with the edge taken off a little the shape of that thing is leathal. Thrust or slice.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
That's about as close to the illustration as possible. That's a great delivery on their commission! Well done.

Thank you. I just realized that we worked off a 2nd picture that they sent us that was a little different then the one i just posted. Its even closer the the other picture then it is to this one. I will see if I can upload it.

I have all the designs for these and I would love to scale it down a bit and make another and do some test cutting with it. Wicked thing!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: