2010 Settlers Day Manville RI Sept 25-26
This will be the eighth year this has been a general announcement of invitation.

The event has gone on longer than my participation and forumite Todd Peletier first approached me in 2003 to join the festivities. Weather has been good and bad over the years but only one Sunday has ever been canceled on our end (and that more due to other circumstance than the weather). We are sure due for two good weather days in a row. We arranged to display inside last year on another wet Sunday.

Located near Providence RI and about half an hour south of the Massachusetts Turnpike, Manville is a small village of Lincoln RI. The sportsmens club is one of the nationally premier locations for several firearm activities but Settlers Day is more of a do-all encompassing re-enactments of militia and pioneers, as well as Native American presence. I'm pretty sure the pow wow calendars list native attendance.

http://www.manvillesportsmensrodandgunclub.org/index.html

We will have at least a couple of tables of modern made and antique swords, along with targets to cut. Todd is always appreciative for donations regarding mat cost and we welcome more contribution of both display and targets. We are usually located just inside the compound and not at all hard to find. If someone is planning on bringing in a large load of swords and material, please let me know via pm and then I can give security a heads up to let one drive right in. The public parking is adjacent to the main road and there are shuttles into the club itself. Any could also contact the club directly to make arrangements for vending or an entirely independent effort.

Bartering and dealing are fine and as mentioned (it is really the only time I have put stuff up for considerations), the club is open to participation by vendors and other displays of most types. Contact them for your interests if adjacent to the sword gathering. It really is just a sword gathering for the area but it is also an opportunity to meet the public and promote history as well as the hobbies, studies.

There are archery, hawk tossing and range activities, as well as some food and often live music. Family friendly and always well attended by the local populace as a very regular event.

We do get other forumites from time to time so don't be shy if you happen to be in easy driving range and enjoy New England in the fall season.

Cheers

GC aka Hotspur; feel free to ask for more information

Attachment: 156.7 KB
Manville2009 004.jpg

Attachment: 168.4 KB
Manville2009 003.jpg

Attachment: 106.59 KB
Manville2009 014.jpg

Attachment: 139.44 KB
Manville 2007 003.jpg

Attachment: 162.08 KB
Cook and Cash 015.jpg

Last edited by Glen A Cleeton on Wed 04 Aug, 2010 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
I am looking forward to getting together with you again this September, Glen. Thanks for posting this announcement. I hope more forum members choose to attend. It is always great to talk swords in person. :)
Jonathan, I am glad to read you are planning to. I am also glad that Todd is preparing some in the background. One thing he did this past year was to modify an A&A sword that he and I have swapped back and forth a couple of times. He has ground the blade shoulders to add grip length and trim fittings a bit. It was hard at first to see what he had changed in this mongrel of EIII blade and Duke of Urbino fittings.

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 42.74 KB
A&A WAR 002.jpg
Customized EIII blade by A&A

Attachment: 82.63 KB
A&AMODRC4F6522.jpg
Todd's recent modifications
We're just a month away from this weekend in September. The club site is mirrored here
http://www.msrgc.com/ and a flyer for the event here http://www.msrgc.com/bu_MSRGC_2010_Settlers_Day_Flyer.pdf

Long range weather sites and tools look promising for dry days over that weekend but we can never be sure. We tend to be pretty quiet behind the scenes, as venturing down/over to the Ocean State seems a pretty slow business for tourism during the fall months but is as pretty as any New England scenery in the relative flatlander territories.

If not unloading but just visiting, keep an eye out for the safety vest guys with walkies and the bus and wagon for transport from the main parking area.

[ Linked Image ]

More recent additions to my own stuff have been pretty sparse in the sword department but had picked up another nice sabre and spadroon along the way. Some of the knives make it out for fondling as well. I don't know if the recent axes found are of interest to anybody else (20th century) but I'll probably chuck those in the load as well. Recapturing a bit of my youth from the 1960s as it were. An Ames mountaineering ice axe and a Collins cruiser.

[ Linked Image ]

Late updates will be posted if anything changes but everything seems on track.. Pm or email (gcleeton@gmail.com) if planning a load in so I can let them know at the gate (day you plan to unload, etc). We have managed ok with just a couple of tables but if many are expected, we can plan accordingly.

Cheers

GC
Hi Glen. I would definitely like to come by again this year! I've got a few new items in my collection that I'd love to share. There's really no excuse for me not to show since I literally live about a minute away now. As we get a little closer, I'll let you know which (if not both) day I'll be coming. Hope the weather is kind to us. Cheers!

- JM
I hope to be there for part of each day (Sat. afternoon and most of Sunday). I will have some 18th and 19th century British military swords and a few replicas (Albion Liechtenauer, Hanwei Cromwell), as well as a few books that might be of interest.

Last edited by Jonathan Hopkins on Wed 01 Sep, 2010 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
I just ordered the mats, so we will have plenty of sword food.
I was worried for a bit as I have been "and still am" in seattle for the summer and didn't think I would make it back in time. As luck would have it I am leaving a little early so I won't have to miss the gathering this year. If you have never been down to seattlers day it is a lot of fun, and I realy do suggest if you can that you make the trip.

cheers
Todd
It is now just a week out from this. The weather forecast looks ok.. Thanks Josh and Todd for checking in and I guess no news is good news as far as preparation goes.

Cheers

GC
Settlers Day was great fun--two days of hanging out with other collectors and talking swords. The weather was good (although quite hot on Saturday), and the traffic past out tables was usually manageable. As always it was great to see Todd and Glen, and to make new acquaintances, too (Josh, Eli)! :)

Here are a few photos of our crowded tables:

what is this weapon on the second photo of your last post ?
in the middle of the table (right of the pistol), the hilt looks like the typical 3bar brass hilt of the us 1840-1860 models, but the blade is straight and unusual long ?
It was so great to meet all of you guys, Glen, Todd, Jonathan, and Josh all! It was my first time handling many items about which I'd only previously read: an Albion, an Arms & Armor, an English Cutler, Vince Evans, any many more. This was a fantastic experience and a lot of fun! I'll keep my eyes out for stuff like this!
Gottfried P. Doerler wrote:
what is this weapon on the second photo of your last post ?
in the middle of the table (right of the pistol), the hilt looks like the typical 3bar brass hilt of the us 1840-1860 models, but the blade is straight and unusual long ?

Hi Gottfried,

The sword you are seeing just a glimpse of is an mle 1854 dragon officer's sword. The director and inspector marks place the manufacture in the 1860s. The sabre with the three bar is a German made generic US 1840/ French 1822 type that could have been made at just about any use period that saw the type used worldwide for about a century. I have some pictures up from when I bought that.

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=92349

The sabre joined that a bit more than a year ago and I have some more pictures with comparison and description up here.

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=96258

The dragon officer's sword is actually an inch or so shorter (as were the trooper dragons) than other French pallasch of the day. These were used right up into the WWI period, in conjunction with the curved blades of other units. It is quite a beasty nontheless. I may have also posted of it here at myArmoury at one time or another. There was even a bayonet version that was supposed to be attached to a carbine for the caribiniers. So you had the French dragons, carabiniers and cuirassiers all fielding basically the same sword, aside from length.

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 47.11 KB
fr-arcelin1856.jpg

Attachment: 17.91 KB
Carabinier2nd Emp.jpg

E Sideris wrote:
It was so great to meet all of you guys, Glen, Todd, Jonathan, and Josh all! It was my first time handling many items about which I'd only previously read: an Albion, an Arms & Armor, an English Cutler, Vince Evans, any many more. This was a fantastic experience and a lot of fun! I'll keep my eyes out for stuff like this!

It was terrific that you had a chance to stop by and get a chance to see some or the production variety we had on hand. One real treat was what Todd's work had done for that old freaky EIII with Urbino fitted A&A sword. Aside from extending the hilt, he had actually drilled out the pommel itsef in doing some liveliness modifications.

We were a little more organized on Sunday and although Saturday was kind of brutal in the humid sun, everyone seemed to have a great time. A huge turn out by local and distant public as well as most of the politicians running in RI. John Loughlin had been air cav during Vietnam and was fascinated with the sword talk because some of his contemporaries all got the M1902 swords once they got their spurs and he was trying to recall what the swords were. Governor Don Carcieri quipped that he knew a Massachusetts yankee when he saw one and I quipped back that we even had the Green Mountain Boys contingent paying a visit with arms (although Jonathan is one of those Brit ish fanatics.

We had a drum circle set up Sunday, right next door to us and that was a treat. The old tyme fiddlers had moved inside for the day and Saturday we had a Johnny Cash interpreter, complete with long horn ornament on his convertible Cadillac.

This is hopefully something that will continue and to grow as attractive. One fellow that does archery was moaning about how bad King Richards Faire (Cape Cod) was getting.

Cheers

GC
Great turn out, great company, and thousands of dollars worth of sharp and pointy steel; doesn't get much better than that! :) It was worth the 2nd degree sunburn. Thanks to everybody involved and all those who stopped by to chat with us. I look forward to next year, and hope for many more to come. Cheers!

- JM
thanks, Glen.
this was very interesting, and your swords are very awesome.
2010 Settlers Day Manville RI Sept 25-26
The swords displayed in those photos look so impressive. I wonder if visitors are allowed to touch them.
Re: 2010 Settlers Day Manville RI Sept 25-26
Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
The swords displayed in those photos look so impressive. I wonder if visitors are allowed to touch them.

Hi Shahril,

Yes, a main purpose of exhibiting both new and old swords publicly is to put them in hand as a manner of education. A good many still consider a sword must weigh twenty pounds or more Even once hefted, some are amazed at either how heavy or light a sword might feel. This can be shown as differences between different handling characteristics with two swords of the same weight of a wide variety of types.

Some are more grabby/feely than other but fingerprints are easily removed and etiquette explained gently (this is true of both young and old visitors).

All in all, an opportunity to share both histories and interests about the hobby of collecting swords and some swordsmanship backgrounds. I was actually too busy to have even taken any pictures but others may have more from this past event. Todd had some super cool new camera but has not put up any pictures yet.

Cheers

GC

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: