I was lacking a pair of sabatons for my kit. After some contemplation, I decided that the open heel sabatons by Illusion Armouring fit my style, desired finish level and (tight) budget. They had provided my greaves years earlier and I had been happy with that purchase experience.

I placed my order in early January and found the process to be simple and straightforward. I was given an approximate completion date of late March / early April.

The pieces took much longer than anticipated, arriving in mid-July. While I was not thrilled about the delay, the Illusion staff promptly replied to my inquiries (2-3 business days on average). I also reminded myself that these were not “off-the-shelf”, but made to my specifications.

The fit is perfect. I had submitted some basic measurements with my order as well as an outline drawing of my fighting footwear. I have complete mobility, no pinching and no tripping over the slightly pointed toe. My greaves float perfectly over the sabatons.

I have made some modifications since my purchase. The strapping and brass buckles are simple store-bought pieces that will be replaced, some day, with period appropriate hardware. The toes have been drilled for pointing . Finally, I have added some simple, stamped brass pieces to give them a little “pop”.

The only thing that could have improved the experience would have been more proactive updates from Illusion rather than reactive responses. That being said, I did receive prompt replies. I would recommend Illusion Armouring with the understanding that the buyer will have to wait patiently for a custom fitted piece.

Attachment: 65.18 KB
SabatonDSCF1212-copy.jpg
Close up

Attachment: 49.89 KB
SabatonDSCF1206-copy.jpg