things to do with horn
i have just been given a couple of second hand horns,(not seen them yet) and wondered if anyone had any ideas what could be done with them, i have been thinking about carving, but haven't done it before.
open to any suggestions.

PS i an an anglo scandinavian reenactor.

looking forward to your educated input.
:D
If you heat the horn it becomes rather malleable and you can flatten it. From that you can make all kinds of things from it; combs, spoons, ornamentation, buttons, scales for knife hilts. Of course drinking horns and sounding horns can be made from it as well. You can decorate with metal ornaments or scrimshaw. Just be aware that when you do heat it or grind on it, it smells something terrible!
i know about the smell, personally i think its worse than bone (i'm a boneworker)
i've had a little experience with horn, but not really much at all. flattening them sounds interesting though i think its supposed to take between 60-90minutes to get hot enough in water.
Marc Blaydoe wrote:
If you heat the horn it becomes rather malleable and you can flatten it. From that you can make all kinds of things from it; combs, spoons, ornamentation, buttons, scales for knife hilts. Of course drinking horns and sounding horns can be made from it as well. You can decorate with metal ornaments or scrimshaw. Just be aware that when you do heat it or grind on it, it smells something terrible!

And I always thought: How did they make horn bowls back then! And again I learned a thing... :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: