Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New samurai exhibit in Victoria B.C. Canada Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Ushio Kawana

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Happy

Quote:
Ushio san, I understand your explanation, many English words have 2 meanings also.

You know... Japanese kanji can be read in many ways.

It is difficult for us to translate it into a foreign language each other. Sad Happy Big Grin
Note: "Ushio san" means "Mr. Ushio".

Quote:
why white Americans seem to have little interest in European arms and armour and focus on the 133t samurai and NINJA!

What is 133t? Question
All of you know... many Americans misunderstand about a ninja. (Many Japanese misunderstand about European arms and armour.)
I think the one of the causes are video games and movies...
However, it is important to be interested in foreign culture. And we know the truth. Happy Happy

Quote:
I see little reason to question Ushio on his (her?) interest in the European stuff.

I am a man.

thanks Happy

I'm interested in Medieval Arms and Armor.
But... My English is very poor ><;
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry, to go completely off-topic, 133t stands for leet, which in turn is derived from elite. It is commonly used by geeks and nerds in the online gaming community. I believe it was originally intended to allow someone to quickly type out a message while fighting, but now is considered by some to be a "language", which they use to belittle the n00bs or newbies.

I do not have a high opinion of people who act like intentionally butchering the English language makes them superior, and therefore use what little 133t I know when I want to sound like a ignorant moron.

Those who use 133t are in my opinion also more likely to be among those who glorify ninjas and the like. In this case, by ninja I mean brightly colored anime guys with six foot hair who jump around whacking people with I-beams. They have no idea what an actual ninja or anything else is, but they talk like they know everything and leave comments on WMA YouTube videos about how pathetic WMA is and how a proper ninja would destroy an entire medieval army in a nanosecond. (Of course, you do have to spend twenty minutes figuring out their insane combination of 133t spelling and inability to spell anything else but 133t correctly.)

Grrrrr... Alright, done venting now. Wink

Edit: The head-bucket thing is interesting though. I've never heard of that before. Would it be a temporary thing for transporting an enemy's head to... somewhere, or would it be a sort of trophy box? "Ok kids, eat all your veggies and after dinner grandpa will show you his head collection."
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Colt Reeves wrote:
Quote:
If so why do so many people from Japan have no interest in Japanese armor and or weapons?

An interesting thing to say, considering if you took a random look around the internet you might wonder why white Americans seem to have little interest in European arms and armour and focus on the 133t samurai and NINJA! Given that mentality, I see little reason to question Ushio on his (her?) interest in the European stuff. Big Grin
Colt, You misunderstood my intentions, I was not questioning Ushio, it is my general experience that many Japanese are not that interested in samurai armor and I was just wondering if there was a reason, most Americans do not know much about the subject either...but for example in Japan I see fully matched suits of armor being sold in pieces which is a very sad thing to see. It was just a generalized question. As for head buckets here is an interesting article and a picture of one.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1821&am...27,1712834
http://s831.photobucket.com/albums/zz238/estc...%20bucket/
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric S wrote:
As for head buckets here is an interesting article and a picture of one.

oh wow. thats quite grissly but interesting too.
and shows how very different medieval japanese culture and medieval european culture were.
Eric S

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gottfried P. Doerler wrote:
Eric S wrote:
As for head buckets here is an interesting article and a picture of one.

oh wow. thats quite grissly but interesting too.
and shows how very different medieval japanese culture and medieval european culture were.

Gottfried, In medieval Europe they just put the heads on poles for everyone to see if I am not mistaken WTF?!
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

if braveheart is a reference (thought i wouldn't count on that) i remember a scene with a messenger bringing a basket containing the head of edward the longshanks's nephew. would it count? Laughing Out Loud
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The main difference is not the container or way the head is treated afterward, but that in Europe the heads in question usually had to be forcibly removed against the owner's wishes. The samurai were crazy enough to kill themselves and arrange for their heads to be shipped to their boss.

Edit: Crazy by our modern standards and viewpoint. They would not consider it such.
Eric S

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Colt Reeves wrote:
The main difference is not the container or way the head is treated afterward, but that in Europe the heads in question usually had to be forcibly removed against the owner's wishes. The samurai were crazy enough to kill themselves and arrange for their heads to be shipped to their boss.

Edit: Crazy by our modern standards and viewpoint. They would not consider it such.

Failure was not an option.
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Sat 04 Sep, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Colt Reeves wrote:

Colt got my meaning. Should have better explained.
when i first saw the photo of the kubioke and read "head-bucket", i thought ok, its for collecting the heads of dead enemies as trophies. honestly, who of you would think it is intended for the possessors own head, to be placed voluntarily therein, before reading the user manual ??
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Sat 04 Sep, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Colt got my meaning.

Finally, I got one in the net! I seem to misunderstand everything in sight sometimes. Wink
Ushio Kawana

PostPosted: Sat 04 Sep, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Happy
I supplement it a little...

The samurais made up lightly. Because they knew it each other:if they lose their head is cut off.
They had respect each other at the same time to be cruel. (Of course it limited to the samurai of high position.)

Do you know the young samurai "Taira no Atsumori"? Question He is young samurai who was kiled at 17 years old...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taira_no_Atsumori (English Page)

This story is famous and sad. Cry

The head is evidence who defeated rather than war trophies.
The head with a helmet has value. And the head of low rank soldier does not have value.
However, actually it was used for ostentation of power(or achievement) by collecting a lot of heads of low rank soldiers.

Thanks Happy

Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Sun 05 Sep, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks ushio for sharing i love reading about japanese stories, i read about shinsengumi and the satsuma rebelion quite a few times and a little about some daymio like shingen takeda and kenshin uesugi(my two favorites)

i'll read this with keen eyes, thanks a lot Big Grin
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Sun 05 Sep, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kind of reminds me of how Celts and Germans cut off heads for tropheys and rewards, then mashed up the brain, mixed it with lime and stuff, rolled it into a ball then threw it in the pile of otherones to show off to the neighbors Laughing Out Loud
Ah, thank you Horrible History.

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Ushio Kawana

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Happy
I have a question bout the difference of a Samurai and a Knight...

Some Samurais burn incense in their helmet(kabuto) before the battle.
It was consideration to the enemy who cut off a head.
They regarded the shameful way of dying as shame...

I have a question. Question
The knight(high position) who became a captive was treated politely in many battles.
The knights(high position) assumed that they became the captive of the enemy and did do any measures? Question

Thanks Happy

Darryl Aoki

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ushio Kawana wrote:
Hi Happy
I have a question bout the difference of a Samurai and a Knight...

Some Samurais burn incense in their helmet(kabuto) before the battle.
It was consideration to the enemy who cut off a head.
They regarded the shameful way of dying as shame...

The knight(high position) who became a captive was treated politely in many battles.
The knights(high position) assumed that they became the captive of the enemy and did do any measures? Question

Thanks Happy

Though this would depend on who captured you. Captured by another knight? Chances're decent you'll be treated well. (You're worth money, after all! Ah, ransom.) Captured by footmen? Chances are you're in for an unpleasant time, which is only partially alleviated by the fact that the experience won't last too long. (Hey, if you won't take them prisoner, why should they give you any such consideration? And it's less likely that they'd be able to ransom you off.)

A few considerations for treating a gentle captive well:
1. It enhances your reputation as a man of worth and breeding.
2. It may encourage your captive's family and friends to pay more.
3. If you should suffer the misfortune of being captured by the person who you've captured (or his colleagues), perhaps they'll treat you well.
Eric S

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A link to some picture taken at the exhibit from another forum.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2859103...d1157f0b72
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Sep, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ushio Kawana wrote:

Because being taken captive was not considered dishonourable in Europe, at least not when you had fought well and caused your enemy all sorts of trouble up to the point where you absolutely had no other options left but to surrender or die. It's worth noting that the customs about the treatment of captives in Europe differed greatly from those in Japan. A Japanese samurai, if taken prisoner, was entirely at the mercy of the captor. On the other hand, a European man-at-arms (or knight, since it pretty much means the same thing anyway) captured in battle could expect to be treated as a guest of honour in his captor's household until he or somebody else paid his ransom, so usually there was no fear that the captor would torture, abuse, or otherwise demean the captive, at least if he still wanted to have the ransom paid without hard feelings.
Eric S

PostPosted: Sun 31 Oct, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: New Pictures from the exhibit         Reply with quote

I just got back from seeing the Return of the Samurai exhibit in Victoria Canada. I got to attend 2 lectures on samurai armor by Trevor Absolon and I had a chance to read a preview of his soon to be published book on samurai armor...anyone with an interest in really learning about this subject should consider getting his book when it come out later this year or early next year as it will absolutely be the best reference book on samurai armor ever published. Here is a link to the pictures I took, there was no flash allowed, the lighting was a little dim and the room back round was sort of reddish which made it hard to get really great pictures. http://s831.photobucket.com/albums/zz238/estc...?start=all

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New samurai exhibit in Victoria B.C. Canada
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: