Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Sovereign has me salivating again! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jul, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Albion Sovereign has me salivating again!         Reply with quote

This sword moved me to the point I nearly reached for my credit card ( an impulse Amy does not try to quash Big Grin ). What beautiful beast this Type XIV is. The blade is not long but the width and double fullers give it a real presence. I can only imagine what it looks like live and in the flesh. Great job Peter and the rest of the guys and gals over at Albion! This one sword on my "to get" list and many of you who know me, know I have an affinity for the big, long blades. Can anyone say sword and buckler?

Joel

The Sovereign

Attachment: 12.56 KB
Sovereign.jpg
The Albion Sovereign
Darwin Todd

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jul, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: At the Atlanta Blade show         Reply with quote

I saw one " in the flesh " so to speak and it is a real sexy beast. Back when Albion just had the drawings up on their web site I thought it was cool, but it was not on my to buy list. At the Blade Show last month Mike and Eric had one on the table and I could not keep my eyes off it. (My hands either Laughing Out Loud ) It has a brutal yet strangely graceful look that made it one of the coolest sword I have ever seen. Needless to say I am now trying to work it into my buying schedule.
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jul, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wasn't sure about this one but it grew on me so quickly that I ordered one for myself. The positive feedback from the folks at Albion only reinforced the fact that I made an excellent choice. I'm really excited about getting mine Big Grin
Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jul, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: COOL Gary         Reply with quote

Gary Grzybek wrote:
I wasn't sure about this one but it grew on me so quickly that I ordered one for myself. The positive feedback from the folks at Albion only reinforced the fact that I made an excellent choice. I'm really excited about getting mine Big Grin

Let us know when it comes in. I would love to see that thing in someone's hand. Great choice!

Joel
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to receiving mine. I'll post photos when it comes in, of course, but it may be a bit before I receive it.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: COOL Gary         Reply with quote

Joel Whitmore wrote:
Gary Grzybek wrote:

Let us know when it comes in. I would love to see that thing in someone's hand. Great choice!

Joel

I'm sure it will be soon Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Sovereign arrived today and I am certainly not disappointed! Pics to follow! I continue to be impressed by the Next Gen line. Let the temptation of Joel continue...
"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Maly wrote:
My Sovereign arrived today and I am certainly not disappointed! Pics to follow! I continue to be impressed by the Next Gen line. Let the temptation of Joel continue...

Excellent! Big Grin

Congradulations Steve.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Steve Maly

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some pics to whet your appetite! I'll try to get some better pics later (if we ever get an overcast day before September...clear skies play havoc with my color levels!).

Attachment: 90.5 KB
DSC00590a.jpg

Attachment: 106.34 KB
DSC00584a.jpg

Attachment: 82.57 KB
DSC00587a.jpg

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Maly wrote:
Here are some pics to whet your appetite! I'll try to get some better pics later (if we ever get an overcast day before September...clear skies play havoc with my color levels!).

Very nice! Big Grin

I'm curious to see what mine looks like with the brown grip.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Maly wrote:

I hate to be the party pooper here... but I see a major flaw that I'd like a chance to correct... I am not happy at all with the peen block and would like to have it redone, if you would not mind shipping it back to us. I am very sorry that it got out of here with that flaw and would like to fix it up for you properly. Just drop Mike a mail and let him know if you'd like to have it fixed and we will commit to turning it around asap and back to you.

My deepest apologies...

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That second pic is the money shot. Wow, does that sword look awesome with a dark grip and the bronze pommel.
The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Sovereign has come in as well. I hope to get some photos up, but doubt they will be as good as Steve's. It is certainly a great looking, beautifully crafted sword. Its balance took me a little aback at first, though I'm not sure why. This is not primarily a finesse sword. You can feel all of its 2 lb 11 oz . but it has that fishing rod balance thing that Oakeshott sometimes talked about that throws the blade forward in the cut - surprising in so short a sword. It is a handsome little brute that carries a really big kick. More of a cutter than a thruster, but I think that is the way XIV's were supposed to be. I'm not saying it isn't a good thruster, just that that is secondary.

It's a great sword for a tight melee. Bring your buckler. (I have an A&A Engish buckler, and this is the sword to go with it.)
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
I hate to be the party pooper here... but I see a major flaw that I'd like a chance to correct... I am not happy at all with the peen block and would like to have it redone, if you would not mind shipping it back to us. I am very sorry that it got out of here with that flaw and would like to fix it up for you properly. Just drop Mike a mail and let him know if you'd like to have it fixed and we will commit to turning it around asap and back to you.

That's awesome, Howy.. backing up your products like that and having such a high level of expectations placed upon yourself. Your dedication is inspirating.

I hate to ask this, but what's wrong with it? It looks okay to me in those photos. Maybe I'm just not as picky as some of those guys out there think I might be.. but that looks like a good block/peen to me. (help me train my eyes here...)

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think he's referring to the angles on the peen block.

On that photo, the left angle is more of a severe drop than the right angle. The block winds up being mishapen.

It's really hard to see in the photos, and is probably more noticable up close. Had I received mine like this, I probably would have contacted Albion about fixing it, especially when the peen blocks on their other swords are so neat and tidy. Wink

But! It is an awesome sword despite that one minor problem. I'm doing a little salivating of my own here, thinking of my Sovereign to be. Wink

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Howard Waddell wrote:

That's awesome, Howy.. backing up your products like that and having such a high level of expectations placed upon yourself. Your dedication is inspirating.

I hate to ask this, but what's wrong with it? It looks okay to me in those photos. Maybe I'm just not as picky as some of those guys out there think I might be.. but that looks like a good block/peen to me. (help me train my eyes here...)

Tim G. hit it on the head -- it looks like one face of the peen block (top side in the photo) was ground assymetrically -- the left side (again, "left" in the picture) is ground closer to the peen than the right... It should be like a truncated pyramid with symmetrical sides tapering toward the peen. They are rarely picture perfect, since it is all done by hand, but that one looks a little beyond our standard.

Thanks for the kind words!

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Steve Maly

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Howard Waddell wrote:

Tim G. hit it on the head -- it looks like one face of the peen block (top side in the photo) was ground assymetrically -- the left side (again, "left" in the picture) is ground closer to the peen than the right... It should be like a truncated pyramid with symmetrical sides tapering toward the peen. They are rarely picture perfect, since it is all done by hand, but that one looks a little beyond our standard.

Best,

Howy

I didn't even notice until I saw the top-down pic. I really was just too busy drooling over the rest of the sword (I oiled it afterwards, so don't worry about rust Razz )! Thanks for the offer Howy, I'll check in with Mike! Just another example of the great customer service I keep hearing about as well as the high standards set for the Next Gen Swords!

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jul, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Well         Reply with quote

Aside from the pommel cap thing that most of us missed, the blade on this one looks like it may even be excuted more cleanly than the one at bladeshow. I know photos lose quite a bit of detail though so hard to tell for sure but she looks darn nice.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jul, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Well         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Aside from the pommel cap thing that most of us missed, the blade on this one looks like it may even be excuted more cleanly than the one at bladeshow. I know photos lose quite a bit of detail though so hard to tell for sure but she looks darn nice.

Heya Joe,

The blade on the sword at the Blade Show was the first one I had done, and I wasn't terribly happy with the way the fuller terminations turned out. The next batch of four blades that were done turned out much nicer (nothing like practice), and this sword is one of those four.

New blades are always tricky and no matter how simple they look, there is always something that needs to be worked out on them.

Jason Dingledine
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jul, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:

Best,

Howy

Wow... I didn't even notice that the first 9 times I spent salivating over it. Actually, if it didn't mess up the function of the sword, I'd probably keep it because I think it adds a little character, though I think it's great that your QC standards are that high. Happy

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Sovereign has me salivating again!
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: