Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The "How to assemble your kit" thread Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Mihai Ionita

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Heh, I have received replies beyond my imagining. There must be something in the water.

First of all, I must thank you for the comprehensive post on civilian fashion and the falling out of the cottehardie, Jonathan. I knew the houppelande came into fashion in the 1380s but I did not know the cottehardie had disappeared by then. That is very useful and, at the same time, somewhat disappointing information since I love the look of the cottehardie and its pigeon breasted figure.

Also, what exactly is a grande-assiette and how does it aid an arming garment? Doesn't it basically refer to a bigger than usual sleeve?

As for my position in society, I had long decided upon those aspects and now I was only curious about the finer points of arming myself. My position shall be that of a middling Wallachian Boyar's son with a penchant for Western dress and equipment. This will allow me to outfit myself in armour that is a little bit behind the bend in the West (much as your Lowlands noble, David) since it took some time for changes in fashion to reach Wallachia. Still, considering the standards present here, the armour would constitute something of a cutting edge in military equipment. The period I will be aiming to portray will be the years 1390-1410 so you can expect something similar to the image I attached in my first post with some textile covering over the armour.

Regarding the fashion delay (similar to the delay present in Scotland, incidentally, if a bit slower) and fashion influences would that delay allow the presence of cottehardies? Or were they so completely phased out that people ceased to wear them altogether?
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mihai Ionita wrote:

Also, what exactly is a grande-assiette and how does it aid an arming garment? Doesn't it basically refer to a bigger than usual sleeve?

Best explanation here: http://cottesimple.com/blois_and_sleeves/gran...erview.htm

Basically a way to cut the sleeve to make it possible to move your arms with minimal tugging of the material at the shoulder and chest are of the garment. Which is a good thing if you have a harness tied to it. It also facilitates a slimmer silhouette of the garment (compared to straight sleeves with gores)

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Kristian Fagerström

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sugarloaf:

Ok, I really like the lines of what I consider to be a "classical" sugarloaf.
I intend to acquire one, but I would like to have one that _is_ correct and not just something I _think_ is correct.

So i wonder:
Where can I find good documentation on what they really looked like, where they were primarily used, and hopefully a suggestion on where to buy one.
I need the documentation so I can make the rest of the armour as correct as possible.

I am active in the SCA, and I intend to play with the live steel fighters in eastern europe, so it needs to stand up to punishment.

Help?
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Kristian Fagerström"]Sugarloaf:

I am active in the SCA, and I intend to play with the live steel fighters in eastern europe, so it needs to stand up to punishment.quote]

Hey, that's what I'm trying to do as well!
I mean, I'll have to travel to Eastern Europe, and actualy piece together my 13thC. kit, but yeah, travelin to fight and fighting to travel Laughing Out Loud

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
David Teague

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Mihai,

First I've read of backwater places holding on to a style of garment years past it peak in the finer courts of Europe. Even in paintings of the better courts of Europe you'll see staff and lesser nobles in styles that aren't suppose to be in style any more. Just like today, it took exceess funds to stay at the edge of fashion in clothing, arms and armour.

Not everyone could keep up and some (like today) didn't jump on each change.

My lesser knight is wearing cottehardie in 1388 as his nice garment and an older simple style of tunic as his traveling kit. My arming coat has grande-assiette sleeves... its where the sleeves attach to the shoulder that's larger. Look at the pictures again and you see that sleeve and coat are quite smooth in the back, even though I'm in the middle of a hip throw at speed. The coat is where I point my leg harness and it places the weight across my hips, not the shoulders, like a good modern backpack.

The harness you linked is far more cutting edge of style by 1400-1410, something closer to my harness would be period but out of date like you'd see in a backwater or in the hands of a lesser noble, one with money problems, or a well to do free man serving as a "man at arms".

Cheers,

David

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kristian Fagerström wrote:
Sugarloaf:

Ok, I really like the lines of what I consider to be a "classical" sugarloaf.
I intend to acquire one, but I would like to have one that _is_ correct and not just something I _think_ is correct.

So i wonder:
Where can I find good documentation on what they really looked like, where they were primarily used, and hopefully a suggestion on where to buy one.
I need the documentation so I can make the rest of the armour as correct as possible.

I am active in the SCA, and I intend to play with the live steel fighters in eastern europe, so it needs to stand up to punishment.

Help?

http://home.scarlet.be/~klauwaer/helm/ i really like them too. i want one there there are a lot of crappy ones on the market too
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zac Evans wrote:
Maille was not welded in period.

Some solid rings were in fact welded, but it wasn't a regular thing.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
T. Hamilton

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
[
http://home.scarlet.be/~klauwaer/helm/ i really like them too. i want one there there are a lot of crappy ones on the market too

I noticed most of the depictions from the early 1300s depicted maile, but one knight was shown wearing a coat of plates (circa 1330, last pic before the helms had movable visors). Was that a normal combination during the early mid-century period? That's the time period I'm basing my kit on, but up until now have only seen the sugarloaf/maile combo.

"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Are you referring to the combo of great helm and COPs or visor on great helm?

COPs and the armoured surcoat that came well before 1300 so it easily could be couple with great helms. The great helm was used for war into the mid 14th as well. The visored great helm shows up in at least one picture and two texts in the early 1290s.

RPM
T. Hamilton

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jul, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
Are you referring to the combo of great helm and COPs or visor on great helm?
RPM

Great helm w/o visor paired with COP. I had always thought COPs were a later evolution more in line with a bascinet than a great helm, but if they show up earlier, great! Big Grin

"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
Mihai Ionita

PostPosted: Sat 07 Aug, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings once more,

These days I've been intensely studying the social make-up of Romanian society in the Fourteenth and Fifteenth centuries, so as to determine exactly who I will be on the social ladder. You can imagine I shall be no prince but neither shall I be a pauper if I want to wear some plate on me. From my studies and research I have come to the conclusion that the cottehardie was well in use and in fashion in the Romanian countries up until the end of the Fourteenth century. From then on, I suppose some sort of combination-wear became popular but I am not exactly certain how big of a role the Houppelande had to play. Romanian voivodes (basically, princes which led the Romanian countries) were usually depicted in Church frescoes in the Byzantine fashion (and in about 200 years their clothes didn't change one bit) but from my impressions of the sources, the Romanian nobility (the boyars and their retinues) were somewhat prone to Western fashions.

Based on Romania's geographic position, I suppose Italy and the German states had a stronger influence on the Romanian countries, though there was a contingent of English mercenaries at Bran Castle at the end of the Fourteenth Century. The reason why I suppose Italo-German influences were stronger is because Italy and Germany were direct neighbours of Poland and Hungary which, in their turn, were direct neighbours of the Romanian countries, with which they interacted almost non-stop, both diplomatically, economically and militarily.

The problem is, I can't find any definitive book which deals with Romanian fashions in the Middle Ages, so this sort of turns the Fifteenth century into a black hole for me in terms of civilian fashion. So, if I choose a Houppelande for my fancy civilian garb I might be taking a bit of a risk. Still, the background for my persona is pretty well set to deal with any and all possible questions regarding garb.

In light of this, I strongly believe I shall be portraying a young (well, I can't really portray anyone old, since I myself am barely eighteen years of age) Romanian Viteaz from Făgăraş who was fostered somewhere in the Italian countries and who returned to his homeland. This shall justify any Western-style garments and can be easily explained to any detractors.

Let me remember if I had any more particular questions. Ah, yes. Do you have any "Greater" Knights in your household, David? And can you provide more details about the organization of your particular household (number of military personnel, number of auxiliary personnel, what kind of secondary objects are important for accurate reenacting i.e. pots, bottles etc.)? Also, do you have a website for your group?

Thanks in advance.
Mihai Ionita

PostPosted: Wed 01 Sep, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've a new question, this time regarding brigandines.

How exactly did brigandines of the early Fifteenth century look like? Were they similar to Visby-style brigandines or were they different. And who wore brigandines mainly? Were they the poor-man's version of plate-armour?
Jojo Zerach

PostPosted: Wed 01 Sep, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mihai Ionita wrote:
I've a new question, this time regarding brigandines.

How exactly did brigandines of the early Fifteenth century look like? Were they similar to Visby-style brigandines or were they different. And who wore brigandines mainly? Were they the poor-man's version of plate-armour?

I believe the coat-of-plates (like those found at Wisby.) were developed to provide a type of plate defense in the time before large sheets of iron/steel (aka breastplates) could be easialy produced. So at the time they were made, I don't think they were ever intended to be a poor substitute of plate.
The brigandine continued to develop even after breastplates appeared, and I think they were often worn my knights and other nobles. I think they were seen as an equal alternative to the breastplate,
During the 15th century the brigandine became more tailored and form fitting, and used smaller yet more numerous plates, wheras most Wisby finds had fewer, larger plates.
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 01 Sep, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jojo Zerach wrote:
..., and I think they were often worn my knights and other nobles. I think they were seen as an equal alternative to the breastplate,
During the 15th century the brigandine became more tailored and form fitting, and used smaller yet more numerous plates, wheras most Wisby finds had fewer, larger plates.

Do you have a reference for this assumption. Because I can´t remember any pictures of knights wearing Brigandines in the 15th cent. Even in the late 14th cent you see more covered breastplates when you think to see coat of plates (the rounded shape of the torso in many brasses, frescoes or tomb stones).
Romulus Stoica

PostPosted: Wed 01 Sep, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In XIV and XV century Transylvania, Wallachia and Moldavia, the emphasis was put on mobility because the main enemy was the Otoman Empire. The turks used less armor than the western armies and their main weapons were the sabre and the bow.
So most common armor in our region was padded cloth, maille and forms of brigandine. The breastplates were used, but they were not so common, especially when speaking about lower classes and lesser nobility. In Walachia (were was the Fagaras county), breastplates were less common than in Transylvania for example.
Here you can see some reconstructions made by Radu Oltean an artist who made some ilustrations for historic books, based on medieval frescoes and paintings , mainly from Transylvania (click on the small thumbnails to see a larger version of his posters).
http://www.historyarts.ro/afise.htm

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The "How to assemble your kit" thread
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: