Sallet-Armet question
http://armourandcastings.com/index.php?_a=vie...ductId=363

Would anyone happen to know if the helmet at the link above is historically accurate? Any place I might be able to find historical examples of a helmet like that? Also, assuming something like it was used, what kind of throat protection would it have likely been used with?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Attachment: 16.14 KB
S1500_2.jpg

Here's the one in the Wallace Collection.

I bought the one from armour and castings, review here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...mp;start=0

I love mine, and it's going strong. I wear a standard right now, but I think a plate gorget is more appropriate, and will be upgrading to that soon. [/url]
Thank you, I just found that same one and was about to post it but you beat me to it.

So a gorget would be appropriate then? Any other options(I'm just curious)?
Tim Hall wrote:
Thank you, I just found that same one and was about to post it but you beat me to it.

So a gorget would be appropriate then? Any other options(I'm just curious)?

A gorget would probably be most appropriate, though a mail standard would also work. These helmets are a little later period than most people realize (late 15th into the 16th c.) where a gorget would probably be a slightly more common solution.

Tom Leoni has the armet, and its not too shabby, especially considering the price. Functionally, it seems great, and it comes with a good liner. Aesthetically it doesn't quite follow the lines of historical models, and has a somewhat modern look to it, but not outrageously so. All in all, it isn't too shabby, particularly for the price.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: