Fresco at Church of St. Cyriacus (~1250)
Is there anyone who can tell me something about this fresco? It's from the Church of St. Cyriacus (in Germany I think) and dates to around 1250. I stumbled on it when looking at heraldic surcoats. It intrigues me. Is that a Knight Hospitaller? I know of several families who also use that heraldic design, so it could be one of them as well.

Thanks in advance!

[ Linked Image ]
Wow!

His enemies could be kipchaks (with those tall hats), but their warriors fought in that time almost everywhere. In Hungary ( look at the straight sword! on the other hand the hungarians begun to wear the nomadic easter clothes after the kipchaks arrived), in the Balkan, Egypt, Middle-East...

Knows somebody this church? Can't find it on german sites.
Maybe could it be this?

http://www.jakobus-wege.de/html/niedermendig.html

Zoltán
*edit*

Nevermind. I had the wrong church. It's the Pfarrkirche in Niedermendig, not the Stiftskirche I thought it was.
I wonder if someone has a picture of the complete fresco and if there's any text on it as well that would help figure out what exactly is depicted here. It could also be William de Vesci or his kin for example (from Switzerland, close to Germany. They used the same heraldy).

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: