Bascinet, Vervelles Question
Hey everyone, thanks in advance for your help.

I am slowly recreating a kit based on the Richard Pembridge effigy http://www.flickr.com/photos/roelipilami/1624090043/ and I have a bascinet shell ready to have vervelles attached. The problem I have is despite the face of my bascinet being quite wide it seems that the line of the vervelles on the effigy in question is far wider.

Is it accurate to inset the vervelles in from the edge of the bascinet or do the extant examples generally follow the line of the helmet?

The only reason I ask is that I have found tons of pictures of modern recreations with inset vervelles but most of the pictures of extant examples or at least very reliable recreations either show the aventail attached, thus preventing me from seeing the true edge of the helmet or even worse with a face plate in place. Understandably attaching vervalles is a huge and very much permanent step, hence my question.

The pictures on pages 66 and 68 of AAOTMK lead me to think that the vervelles are inset, I just want a little advice before I put any permanent work on my bascinet.
You can check the photos in the feature article here on basinets. Lots of pictures to guide you. The vervelles on my basinet are about 1 cm from the rim although the ones near the face opening are further behind so the visor still fits correctly with the aventail attached. Also the vervelles around the rim are slightly above the line of holes for the liner. In the area of the face opening where your visor meets and laps over the helm you will have to find what works best for your particular basinet, every one is probably a little different in that regard...............
In bascinets with side pivoting visors, the visor overlaps and hides the face lining vervelles. In central hinged ones, those are behind the rim of the visor. But from what I have seen, those were still comparatively close to the rim of the helmet. But have a look at the feature.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: