Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Valhalla Rising Movie Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jan, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:

The Europeans were supposed to be tough, hard men, fighters and killers every one but something happened to them on the ocean and I don't understand what. Its like they lost their minds. They behaved like feckless children wandering around in the woods allowing themselves to be picked off one by one. I don't get it! I can see that they would know that they wouldn't be able to survive against the natives but you'd think they'd want to go down fighting.

Well, we can discuss it seriously or like David make a joke. Wink I am also joking in parts of my comments but most of it is meant to be serious. ( And the joke(s) has a serious point hidden in it and not just mocking )

But, in a semi-serious mode one can answer your questions by making a bunch of theories, more or less credible, and we can also consider the possibilities of " Bad Film making ". Wink Cool

But this is why we can have a debate between those who like the film, those who hate the film, those who think it is a great film but not to their personal liking and finally those who really think they understand the film and also like it.

( I can hate a film but still think it's good i.e. Stanley Kubric's 2001 A Space Odyssey was very genius level film making but tedious in many ways. Barry Lyndon was great eye candy and a great film showing the lassitude and lack of direction and passion of the main character but unfortunately also bored me ! I still considered it a great film though. Wink ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Lyndon

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jan, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As I've already said, I'm not sure if I liked it or not, and Jean has pin-pointed the reason.

The story line is so confusing (particularly from the sudden transition from Sutherland to the foggy boat) that one is highly tempted to come up with clever theories to explain it. It might be that this was intended by the filmakers, it might be that they had intended a particular interpretation that is pretty obscure, it might be that they simply did not care about story, it might be that they are playing games with the audience like David Lynch likes to do, or it might be that this film was just a mess. My problem is that every time I think of a good interpetation, I wonder if I am giving it more credit than it is due, or just making a fool of myself.

For example, realism actually starts to 'go South' (no pun intended) before the fog scene. It starts when one-eye and the boy run into the Christian Vikings/Scots (whatever they are). Its supposed to be year 1000 but most of those guys had Irish and Scottish weapons that would fit into the 15th century. And what the heck are they doing going on crusade to reclaim the holy land in the year 1000, nearly 100 years before the first crusdade. Did they think 10 guys could take the holy land, or were they joining a crusade? Moreover, later in the film it is said that the chief has already been to the holy land. Was he on pilgrimage (possible), or some crusade (what is sounds like)? The time line is out of whack.

So now one can be really clever, and say that one-eye was indeed a god and wandered with the boy for centuries or through some time warp, and then ran into some crusaders. Or you could conclude that the filmmakers either knew nothing or cared nothing about real history.

It's been said that when something can be explained by either incompetence of extreme cleverness (like a conspiracy) then 9 times out of 10 the incompetence theory is correct.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Valhalla Rising Movie
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: