Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking for a book Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Looking for a book         Reply with quote

I can't seem to find a book and I hope one of you can help me. I'm looking for "The Viking Age Wood Carvers. Their Tools and Techniques" by Erik Fridstrom and translated by Elizabeth Seeberg. I found the title in an article by The Viking Answer Lady http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/wood.shtml but I can't find a copy anywhere on the net or from my own sources. I haven't been to an on-campass library at one of the universities here yet so that will be the next step (should have been the first?).

Thanks for your assistance,
Ron

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It appears to me that the entire academic article written by Erik Fridstrom has been translated and displayed on the provided web page.

I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that the "Festkrift til Thorleif Sjøvold på 70-Års-Dagen" papers published by Oslo: Universitets Oldsaksamling in 1984 is composed of many research papers submitted to the university.

Pages 87-92 represent the research of Erik Fridstrom while pages 93-108 contain an article by Signe Horn Fuglesang titled "Wood Carving from Oslo and Trondheim and Some Reflections on Period Styles."

Thoughts?

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Richard Schneider

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Chapel in the Hills in Rapid City South Dakota was partly the work of the author of the book you are looking for.

Their website states,"The woodcarvings are the result of a combined effort by Mr. Erik Fridstrom, one of Norway's best woodcarvers, and a local rapid City resident, Mr. Helge Christiansen."

The link below is to that website and there is a gift shop which may have a copy or they may know where you can find a copy. Contact information is available.

http://www.chapel-in-the-hills.org/history.html
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for responding gentlemen . Scott , the work is included in a series of papers and some of Signe Horn Fuglesang ' s work was iincluded on pages 93-108 . I've checked online with a couple of universities in my area but they didn't have any information on these papers so I'm going to email the University of Oslo and see if they can copy these pages for me . I think most universities will do this for a fee . If that fails I can email my old history professor who's now the head of the history dept . and I'm sure he can provide a direction or two.

Richard , thanks for the link ! Beautiful chapel & the main carved doorway is in the Urnes style . Beautiful work. I've sent an email requesting any information they have to share. I'm researching carving styles to find a pattern for a sax I'm putting together. It has a blade length of 30 cm and 3 cm wide at the tang, so it tends to fit more Into the 8th and 9th centuries where the Oseberg style is more historically appropriate. Based on what we know about it today , anyway . The blade closely resembles the 4th one in the attachment.

Prost , brothers!
Ron

Attachment: 30.74 KB
Jorgensens sax typology.jpg

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking for a book
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic