a question on glue...
In regards to fixing the leather over a wood core of a sheath, what do those of you who make them prefer?

Hide glue?

Contact cement?

Other...?
Hi Barry,

I would suggest no glue at all. If you use thin, vegetable tanned leather you can sew it while wet. It will shrink to fit the wooden core, after that you can make some slits for a leather cord on the back to suspend it from your belt. If you use a more sturdy or thicker leather use special leatherglue. I use such glues to glue furstraps into scabbards.

Best regards,
Thomas
I use Titebond II. It's cheap, ready to use, and it works great on everything - wheather it's 1oz or 15oz leather. I've used it on scabbards, grips, and other leather wares with solid results and no complaints. :)
Strongly recommend wet thin leather, stretched and stitched in place. You could augment this with a little water soluble latex rubber type adhesive (copydex is the brand I know), but it's not really required.

If you don't want to sew it then you need to use a stretcher leather dry and the best contact cement you can get your hands on. I honestly don't recommend that approach but it does work.

N.
Have any of you used buckskin (tanned deer hide)? It certainly can be stretched tight and sewn over the core, but I am not sure how much more it will shrink after it is wet and then dried.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: