Wheeler Typology
Where can I find a good article online on the Wheeler typology of viking swords, especially with reguard to blade design?

All of the articles I have found mention Wheeler, have the exact same illustration of 10 hilts without explanation, then proceed to devote the rest of the article to Oakshott's work on later swords.
[ Linked Image ]
The Wheeler typology is specifically for hilt design....and does not cover any blade designs. I have never seen any sort of in-depth description of the 9 different designs, either. I just base any description I use off the closest hilt that the sword in question resembles the most. This typology is basically a condensed/ simplified version of the Peterson typology, and is a precursor to Oakshott's typology. This is why most articles you find on Wheeler direct you to Oakshott.
Even if his classification system is based on hilt design, he wrote an entire book. He must have discussed the blades most commonly associated with specific hilts at least in passing. Does anybody here have the book that can confirm this?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: