Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion Price Increase Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

Feedback score: 100%
(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The same situation (financial crisis/inflation/rising material/labor costs) that's forcing Albion to decide to raise prices is the same one hurting some customers' ability to buy their items. It's the classic business catch-22.

Personally, my industry is suffering mightily. Income from my primary source of earnings is going down more than 11% this coming year because of budget cuts. I anticipate it going down further in future years. I can tell you that my mortgage isn't going down. Or the car payment. Or the cost of utilities. All that's going down is my earnings, not the cost of anything..

And I know there are people here worse off than me. People of the US gulf coast in particular.

Yes, Albion will need to raise their prices from time to time. It's natural and unavoidable. What's also unavoidable is that price increases, especially when everyone is hurting, will invariably drive off some people. The question becomes whether the increases in price will stop off-setting the loss of customers.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chris Lampe

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm more of a quality over quantity guy and limit my sword purchases to higher end replicas or customs. There are a handful of Albions I'd like to have right now but I would be much more likely to purchase from them if they would expand their line-up away from the European medieval period. I would much rather see the introduction of an authentic xiphos, falcata, jian, dao, La Tene/Celtic era longsword, etc.. than yet another type XV, XVIII, X or Xa.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael,
I think it's safe to say that some people can free up some money by making different choices. But to say:

Quote:
None of these things are necessary, they are all luxuries, yet if we look at what most of us spend on them in a year, we could own every Albion we ever wanted over just a few years instead.

is naive and somewhat presumptive. You don't know the ins and out of people's situations. Different choices may make it possible for some people to free up enough to pay Albion's prices but it's not going to get everyone every Albion they want.

Before you make assumptions about my financial situations, let me answer your questions:

I could get rid of cable and might save $300-400 a year doing so. (This is something we're looking at right now, though it's not to free up sword money). I need the internet for my job(s) so that stays. There is no decent public transportation system in the areas where I live and work. Any money I might save by taking public transit (assuming it's available and works the hours I do) would result in excess time spent in transit. Time=money so that's a wash. I'm not going to ride a bike with a large multi-thousand dollar musical instrument strapped to my back for 35 miles each way up a highway to one of my jobs. I go out to eat occasionally, often because my work situation makes it impossible to be at home for meals and I often don't have access to refrigeration when I'm out. I eat as economically as I can when I eat out. I occasionally go out for beers. I don't do computer games. This site is my hobby. I have no girlfriend (my wife would kill me). Happy We see movies (rentals or theaters) a handful of times a year. We use coupons when we can on items we need; we shop sales, too. We don't buy expensive cuts of meat.

I could cut back on some things, though if you're suggesting I give up going out to eat and to a movie occasionally with my wife so I can buy swords instead, you'd better be prepared for me to come live with you after the divorce is final. Happy

If I pressed and lived as Amish-ly as my jobs and family allow, I still couldn't free up enough money to buy "every Albion we ever wanted over just a few years." Your idea of "want" and "choice" dictating everything is simply not correct.

I understand the concept that belt-tightening and cutting back on non-essentials frees up money (potentially a lot for some people), but your sweeping statement simply doesn't hold in every case.

Happy

ChadA

B. Stark
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

+1 to Chad's statement.

BTW, I can buy a used Jaguar for a whle lot cheaper than new but the upkeep would be the killer. Since we are using cars as an anology: Instead of a Jag, Masreti, Beemer insert some other over priced euro money pit or an 'economy' ,non-exciting, commuter car I'll take the third route: Buy a crate 350, a turbo 400, throw it in a 1968 Chevelle, some nice paint, decent interior, BF Goodrich tires, Cragar coke bottle mags and so forth...but hey that's me.

Having been a part of the process in making Albion's swords I will testify to this: They are wonderful creations that really have no comparison in the production sword market(and some of the custom too). They are made in the USA. One of the last few things that is, and ironically the designs come from Europe. My fear though is not in that Albion will price themselves into oblivion. It's that their competition overseas will be enabled to reach a level of product that is close to what Albion makes and for 1/2 the price. That will likely spell death for Albion to remain in a niche that is presently out of reach for the competition overseas. If these sword making concerns in China, Fillipines etc. begin to use technology and exacting research to prototype 'accurate' euroswords then price increases will do nothing but hasten a lost customer base.

"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Most importantly, do own one or more less expensive swords? There's a good chunk of the money for an Albion right there. Again, it's about choices.

I own 4 swords.
Valiant armoury dagesse (a terribly overweight unstable bad first uneducated buy)
Hanwei practical bastard sword (good value for money blunt)
Hanwei practical cup hilt rapier (another good value blunt)
Hanwei/Tinker hand and a half blunt (best handling sword ive held to date, if Albions price is justifiable when you can snag this for less than 200, then Albions R&D must comprise of a team of NASA engineers and scientists, GOD, Tony Stark, a group of Dwarven smiths, and Chuck Norris)

Dagesse=140
Practical Bastard=135
Practical rapier=150
Tinker Blunt=180

added together, they come out to 605. Thats roughly 1/3 of an Albion.
I wouldnt consider a nice hilt and about 17 inches of blade (1/3 of an Albion) as a very good "chunk" for use as anything.
However, for that money I could snag 3 Tinker sharps (or one Gus Trim) all of which I would have no reservations using in a battle ( with an Allen wrench anyway, the threading tends to loosen at the worst of moments Worried )

However, I do understand what you are saying as far as quality. Before the Tinker, I handled the hanwei practicals. No masterpieces there...... Wink
But after getting my paws on the tinker, I havent been able to put it down! The speed and handling are wonderful!
But I say that quality doesn't have to be $1500. Grab a Tinker and send it to a cutler to doll it up nice if your weapons MUST be pretty. Probly cheaper than an Albion.

God im turning into a Hanwei fanboy.......... Laughing Out Loud Eek! Laughing Out Loud
No diss to Albion though. I really do love all the stuff you guys have, but most of your pieces are all at least double my entire budget......... Worried

"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
But to say:

Quote:
None of these things are necessary, they are all luxuries, yet if we look at what most of us spend on them in a year, we could own every Albion we ever wanted over just a few years instead.

is naive and somewhat presumptive.

Wow, so I guess Obama was right after all, I am rich. Happy

Okay, in all seriosness, I did go too far with the "every Albion you want" part. However, even saving 300-400 a year, you could have an Albion. They have a payment plan, or you could just wait two or three years.

Or sell your car and buy a donkey. Happy

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Luka Borscak

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Right now there are still quite a few Albions for about 800, so not that much above your current budget of your blunts. I just went and clicked a few to see the price and I found that Gaddhjalt is 800, Mercenary too, Sheriff is under 800, so for a price of a 3 or 4 cheap swords you can have an Albion. And I have in a few years bought at least 3 or 4 Windlass and Hanwei sword I sold later because they weren't really what I wanted. In my country Albions are not available and it's too complicated and expensive to order them from abroad so I don't have one, but if they would be more easily available here, I wouldn't buy a few Del Tins and Hanwei Tinkers I recently bought, or I will soon, and I would buy an Albion. But again, it's not wise to buy Albion before you know what you want in a sword, so one usually could buy an Albion if he really wanted to, but he has to be "mature" enough in his collecting so that he doesn't blow that kind of money on something he won't be completely satisfied with...
P. Cha

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
Chad Arnow wrote:

No, what matters most is what you can afford. I'd rather have a Jag (as long as it's a recent one) than a Kia, as most people would. But if I can't afford a Jag, then does it matter what I want? That's reality.

What matters is what you want. Do you pay a cable bill? An internet bill? Do you drive in situations where you could take public transport or ride a bike? Do you go out to eat? Do you go out to drink? Do you buy computer games? Do you buy stuff for other hobbies (cameras, home theater, stamps, etc.)? Do you have a girlfriend that likes to be wined and dined? Do you buy or rent movies? Do you buy groceries without coupons or sales? Do you buy expensive cuts of meat?

None of these things are necessary, they are all luxuries, yet if we look at what most of us spend on them in a year, we could own every Albion we ever wanted over just a few years instead. It's a choice, nothing more.

Most importantly, do own one or more less expensive swords? There's a good chunk of the money for an Albion right there. Again, it's about choices.

I'm with Chad...SOME people can do this.

Me? Cable, yes I do...but without it, I get no TV...period. But yeah, I suppose that can save me 200 bucks a years. Internet...need it for work. Without it I would make about 5 grand a year less...so getting rid of that is a net loss for my end. I live in an area that has one bus that runs every hour...if I'm lucky. Riding a bike the 30 miles to work is a wash as well...not only because of distance but because I live in such a hilly area that by the time I got to work, I would need another shower or I would stink too much to work. I go out to eat rarely...or buy drinks. I work in catering and the wife has a restaurant so going out to eat isn't really an issue...or is buying gorgery for the most part. Me and the wife sees a movie maybe 4 times a year. Like Chad cutting that out to get a sword is likely to result in divorce. I get a game maybe once every year from the bargin bin. So yeah...not so much in way of excess funds here. Certainly not enough for me to get every albion I ever wanted in a few years. Hell I'd be lucky to get one albion by cutting all those things out in a few years with the price increases.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:

Wow, so I guess Obama was right after all, I am rich. Happy

Okay, in all seriosness, I did go too far with the "every Albion you want" part. However, even saving 300-400 a year, you could have an Albion. They have a payment plan, or you could just wait two or three years.

Or sell your car and buy a donkey. Happy

Donkeys need food, water, and veterinary care. They may not be cheaper than the car! Big Grin

The payment plan worries me because I don't want to plunk $300 for a non-refundable deposit then find out work is cutting back even more, the roof needs replacing, or my son needs something, etc. and I can't afford to finish paying for the sword. There goes the deposit....

In my experience, money set aside for toys at a later date gets spent on house repairs, car repairs, and whatever else comes up in the meantime. Plus, with price increases every couple years, I may end up chasing their rising prices with whatever savings I can muster. Let's say I can find $400 a year for 3 years to set aside. After 3 years, the $1200 sword I wanted to buy may be $1400.

I wish my situation were different, but it ain't right now. I'm hoping getting my doctorate will help land me in a more stable job situation, but that's a couple years down the road... But we're getting off-track. Happy

I understand Albion puts out great quality products and that their rising costs are behind this increase. I get that there are ways for people to save money and/or cut back to free up disposable income. I understand they have payment plans, or I can start saving, etc. These price increases simply make it less likely I can buy their items, though.

I do find myself thinking more about their gladii recently, partially because that form fascinates me and partially because they are nearer to what I might be able to scrape up...

Happy

ChadA

Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not if you get a genetically engineered donkey that runs on waste products.

Some of Albion's best swords are also some of their cheapest, and not really all that expensive even compared to the competition (like the 600 dollar CF Chimera line).

Take the Talhoffer. It's my second favorite Albion, tied with the Earl, and IMO one of the finest swords ever produced. And it's only 800 bucks. An absolute steal.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
P. Cha

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:

Some of Albion's best swords are also some of their cheapest, and not really all that expensive even compared to the competition (like the 600 dollar CF Chimera line).

Take the Talhoffer. It's my second favorite Albion, tied with the Earl, and IMO one of the finest swords ever produced. And it's only 800 bucks. An absolute steal.

Do you have any idea how much one of THOSE donkies costs?!? Laughing Out Loud

I do agree that that some of the best albions are some their cheapest ones...but when those break $1000 in a few years, I think the $600 chimera line will look much more favorable.
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While I'm disappointed to see Albion raise its prices, I can't imagine their profit margins are all that high given the amount of research they put into their designs and the rising cost of the raw materials they work with. They seem to delay these cost hikes for longer than many others, and I salute them for that, but everyone must eventually bow to economic realities. I'm sure there is a point of diminishing returns somewhere when additional revenue from a price increase will be outweighed by the number of customers they've priced out of the market, but, speaking strictly for myself, they're not there yet.

Swords are clearly luxury items, if not outright toys. They're not really a practical self defense option in this age and they're not necessary for the performance of any operational military duties. They are logically one of the first things to be cut from a household budget when things get tough. Other than the dress saber that will be a required uniform item when I make LCDR, I could pretty much live without them. Even if I insisted on owning my own "weapons" for fencing and Aikido, that's a far cry from something sharp that has been wrought from steel that I will never, ever use on another human being. So why do I feel just fine dropping thousands of dollars on an Albion Svante? Simple. Finely crafted weapons bring me joy. I don't need them for anything; I simply want them, and while there is some wisdom in Spock's assertion that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting (it is not logical, but it is often true), I have to counter that it's a pretty damn pleasing thing to own a fine sword.

Since I'm a single man living on an O-3 salary with a warfare specialty wherein poor retention has led to large bonuses, I've been fortunate to have enough disposable income to make these frivolous decisions. This was not the case a few years ago when I was a starving college student and it will not be the case a few years hence when I'm a starving graduate student. At that point, my calculus will be different, but I'm more likely to abstain from buying swords entirely than I am to buy something of lesser quality merely to add to my collection. Those particular scales have fallen from my eyes. The low end swords that I scraped and saved for when I was younger brought me limited satisfaction even then and I can't see any point to owning them at all now. But I think I'll still get a thrill hefting my Svante decades from now when I'm an old man. No matter what, my Albions will always be magnificent unless I destroy them myself through negligence or misuse. Or, to paraphrase Fight Club, no matter what else happens, I've got that sword problem handled. Wink How many other things can you say that about? Certainly not the computer that I'm typing this post on, which actually cost more than my Svante but will not last nearly as long. I have friends who have dropped more on their DVD collections only to have Blu-Ray come along and rain all over their parade.

Albion currently dominates the majority of my sword budget because I love what they do, and economic variables that are largely out of their control do not change that. Fine swords have always a considerable investment and the work of skilled craftsmen deserves to be fairly compensated no less now than in the age of chivalry. Peter Johnsson is a man of formidable talent and knowledge and I will happily pay a premium for the time he spends in museums so that I can have a more faithfully recreated sword. The people at Albion run a great shop that happens to be located in America and I will happily pay a premium for their attention to detail and for the fact that they're not a sweatshop in China. I have no issues with that. The same applies to A&A, Christian Fletcher et al. I like that these people exist, and I wish to see them continue existing.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Joe Fults

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

B. Stark wrote:
My fear though is not in that Albion will price themselves into oblivion. It's that their competition overseas will be enabled to reach a level of product that is close to what Albion makes and for 1/2 the price. That will likely spell death for Albion to remain in a niche that is presently out of reach for the competition overseas. If these sword making concerns in China, Fillipines etc. begin to use technology and exacting research to prototype 'accurate' euroswords then price increases will do nothing but hasten a lost customer base.

Its happened to virtually all sports equipment already in less than a decade. I'd say your concern is only a potentiality in that its time has not yet arrived. Given more time, I'd say its almost a certainty that this will happen.

A mildly related observation.

I've climbed back on the bicycle after many long years away from it. I'm doing several hundered miles a week and finding my lust for new bike toys more overpowering than any sword lust and after 10 years away from it the price changes have been shocking. Worse still I find I really need a bike for touring, a bike for hills, and one for fast ridea on flats. I really do, but none of them come cheap, so I don't have them. Moral of all of this, in the great realm of expensive and pointless toys, Albion prices are not really that bad. Assuming one can afford expensive and pointless things in the first place.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Fri 25 Jun, 2010 8:24 pm; edited 5 times in total
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as the payment plan goes, I had one. Last year, I had planned to purchase the Sherriff on payment plan: I think it came out to $62.50 a month. Got four months into it and work got scarce with people getting laid off. I had to pare back on spending, and since a sword won't fill my belly or pay my mortgage, it was the first to go. Unfortunately, the money paid in is non-refundable. So for over a year, I had a $250 credit at Albion, and for the longest time, they didn't sell anything that is swordish for that kind of money. Finally, I bought one of their bareblades, which is currently with Matt Stagmer of Baltimore Knife and Sword getting furniture made for it (his shop is ten minutes from my work). Even then, I still have a $30 credit with Albion that I will probably write off as a loss at this point.

Yeah, payment plans are all well and good, but they aren't always the best answer.

There is also the question of raising the price on pre-production items. The Dane was something close onto five years from the time of announcement and acceptance of payment to its release to production. During that time, the Dane rose in price significantly. Albion just announced the Alexandria and the Principe: will those increase in price too? I doubt it, but nothing is certain.

The much neglected Squire Line would be an acceptable substitute. I wish Albion would show an interest in developing the line some, but everyone wants the pretty Next Generations.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:

I think that maybe saving by not spending on other moneys used for nonessentials by prioritizing the purchase of an Albion is doable if one has some fun money to spend and a little cutting back on restaurants, not purchasing 2 or 3 lower end pieces or having a special " I won't spend any money this month on anything I don't have to " can generate enough cash for one Albion a year, maybe ?

I also assume a steady job, no nasty economic surprises and having disposable income for toys or entertainment.

An extra $100 on a $1600 sword is not a deal breaker if spending $1600 wasn't a hardship but any price increase does make me think twice or three times before buying and it does make some alternatives like a Del Tin look pretty good at half the price ! Anything over $1000 dollars also makes me consider a custom order as an alternative if Albion isn't already making the exact sword I want. ( Or want eventually like the Dane ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Zach Gordon

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah the squire line were a nice deal... till they kept increasing the price. At around $350 they were great... then $450 ok... and next they'll be over $500!!! They will no longer be an economical sword for "beginning collectors and reenactors" as it says.
I used to buy allot of albions but when they upped the prices last year (or the year before). I couldn't bring myself to buy a sword that had been $700 and was now $800.... I finally brought myself to buy said sword. If the swords that were $700 become $900 I can guarantee that I wont be buying. At this point they will start being more on par (price wise) with customs like Olin than other production swords like A&A. In general it was a toss up between A&A and Albion... with the prices increasing at Albion I'll just start buying A&As. If it becomes (price wise) a toss up between Albions or Olins, Olin will win hands down.
I get the want to make more money per sword due to the economy, but the number of people that will stop buying the product should be considered.
Z
P. Cha

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Blair wrote:
As far as the payment plan goes, I had one. Last year, I had planned to purchase the Sherriff on payment plan: I think it came out to $62.50 a month. Got four months into it and work got scarce with people getting laid off. I had to pare back on spending, and since a sword won't fill my belly or pay my mortgage, it was the first to go. Unfortunately, the money paid in is non-refundable. So for over a year, I had a $250 credit at Albion, and for the longest time, they didn't sell anything that is swordish for that kind of money. Finally, I bought one of their bareblades, which is currently with Matt Stagmer of Baltimore Knife and Sword getting furniture made for it (his shop is ten minutes from my work). Even then, I still have a $30 credit with Albion that I will probably write off as a loss at this point.

Yeah, payment plans are all well and good, but they aren't always the best answer.

There is also the question of raising the price on pre-production items. The Dane was something close onto five years from the time of announcement and acceptance of payment to its release to production. During that time, the Dane rose in price significantly. Albion just announced the Alexandria and the Principe: will those increase in price too? I doubt it, but nothing is certain.

The much neglected Squire Line would be an acceptable substitute. I wish Albion would show an interest in developing the line some, but everyone wants the pretty Next Generations.

Oh yeah those bare blades are a great option. I got a hanwei tinker longsword bare blade I am getting hilted up and will do the same with one of the albion bare blades as well. I wonder if the bare blades will get a price hike as well.
David Teague

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello All,

I don't have a horse in this race but I did want to point out that if you have good credit score and are dying for an Albion before the price increase, you can get a signature loan to make that purchase from your bank or credit union.

The big difference between layaway and a loan is this, you get the sword, it's yours, and you'll want to pay the bank back... unlike a vendor if something comes up.

As for cable... if you have a fast internet connection get Netflix streaming for 8.99 a month and ditch cable. That what I did. I just watch Netflix's streaming on my TV with a Roku box.

Cheers,

David

PS I only have one Albion, and it's one of the blunts.

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know, this conversation seems familliar... Oh, yeah, it happens every time a maker (esp. production shop) makes a price increase :P.

Speaking for myself, I could probably handle a sword a year without any issue at this point. There are definitely Albions I would like to own, and I already own a mercenary (#1 as it happens) and a knight. However, I have other things I will be spending that money on for several reasons.

First, I have swords, I enjoy owning them, but lets face it, until there is a zombie uprising, my neighbors will take a prejudicial view to me waiving them around. I do however have places very near me where I can shoot my bow and my rifles. I can get a good solid rifle or a really nice bow for that same $1000+ I would be spending an Albion. I can use these today while I save for a house/future financial stability in the future.

Second, there aren't many of the Albion swords that appeal to me any more. Call it changing tastes and the effect of experience. The swords that do appeal (Soldat, Viceroy, Doge, and Hersir) are all well north of 1000. That list used to have the Knecht in it too before they mucked up the design (my opinion: messers need an exposed tang) and priced it like a museum line piece. The average of these swords is still about what I paid for my semi-custom A&A Gustav Vasa R&D set. Albion makes some great swords, don't get me wrong. They've just outpriced my need to own the remaining swords I like. If I win the lotto, that may change (right after I pay off my school loans, etc.).

Third, there are other swords (and a few pole-arms) that I would gladly pay the same price to have reproduced by a competent smith. I've discovered that, while I enjoy cruciform swords like the Knight (seriously, who doesn't like that sword?), my interest is in complex hilts and certain exotic saber types.

So, where does this leave me? Well... Saving for a bigger purchase (house), buying arrows, ammo, and MAYBE a new bow (or rifle) every now and again, skipping the cheaper swords (too spoiled by Albion/A&A), and planning custom commissions for when I find the right smith. To those who want (and can afford) an Albion (or any other sword), you have my heartiest congratulations! If you're not in that boat, it's your money, you decide what's important. So will Albion, and so will the rest of us.

Cheers (and happy weekend!),

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought four Albions (technically five, since I bought one for a friend) and traded a sword for an NG Crecy. At the time, virtually every purchase I made, with the exception of my Liechtenauer, would qualify as an unwise financial decision. I acknowledge that. A couple were bought from money that came from income tax returns, a couple were purchased with "extra" money from my universty student loans, and the Liechtenauer was bought when my grandmother gave me a rather sizeable sum of money, all of which save the Liechtenauer's price went towards said student loans.

But despite this, I'm happy to have bought all of my Albions. I have three different long swords, a training long sword, and a single handed sword, all of which I seriously wanted. Had I not purchased them at the time and waited, I could have watched the price go up increasingly out of range for me.

Like a lot of people, I wish Albions weren't increasing in price. However, like Sam, I find myself in the uncommon situation. At the moment, I have very little cash, but once I start work again, most likely in July or August, I will be making a fairly significant amount of money. That, combined with the fact that I'm single and without kids and serious debts like a mortgage, means that I will be able to pick up a few more Albions, which is precisely what I intend to do. But I realize that this situation is not the norm, and I hope Albion will not outprice themselves for the general sword buyer.

I would be curious to see if there's been a noticeable decline in sales of Next Generation swords from the various price increases over the years, or if no such decline has occurred.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion Price Increase
Page 2 of 8 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: